Marrone hired as Jags OL coach

YoloinOhio

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh this is just brilliant. Must-read.

there is just no way UM would have hired him IMO. Hilarious. 15-17 and those tweets about Broncos, Falcons, Bears, Jets, Ravens all interested? I won't be surprised if he's a "hot" HC candidate again next year according to his agent. Edited by YoloinOhio

Terry was so thrilled, he offered to drop him off. Of course, the plane didn't actually land in Jacksonville... douggie's inflated ego and sense of self-importance slowed his descent enough to make the drop survivable.

Can't necessarily say the last couple of weeks will be survivable for his career, though.

(Attorney - former Tax consultant - tax rules change a lot though).

I'm pretty sure that state taxation rules are based on the Source of the income. Which would be NY.

(but, compare: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901427-why-does-income-from-a-non-income-tax-state-get-taxed-on-my-state-return

TurboTax uses the term "residency," which might be more accurate. TT focuses on your residency when the income was earned. DM should be considered to have earned his 4M in NY).

Players are categorized as Independent Contractors. They are essentially 1099'ed. And they must pay Income Tax in every state they play in.

For example: The Bills played 8 games in NY, 1 in Illinois, 1 in Texas, 1 in Michigan, 1 in NJ, 1 in FL, 1 in CO, 1 in CA, and 1 in MA.

This means that half of their income gets taxed in NY, 1/16 gets taxed in Illinois, 1/16th taxed in Texas, 1/16th taxed in Michigan, etc.

I dont know how it works for coaches but since they are team employees, I think they'd only pay NY. Either way, it sounds like Marrone would pay NY tax on that $4mil. But Im only guessing as well.

Edited by DrDareustein

Players are categorized as Independent Contractors. They are essentially 1099'ed. And they must pay Income Tax in every state they play in.

For example: The Bills played 8 games in NY, 1 in Illinois, 1 in Texas, 1 in Michigan, 1 in NJ, 1 in FL, 1 in CO, 1 in CA, and 1 in MA.

This means that half of their income gets taxed in NY, 1/16 gets taxed in Illinois, 1/16th taxed in Texas, 1/16th taxed in Michigan, etc.

I dont know how it works for coaches but since they are team employees, I think they'd only pay NY. Either way, it sounds like Marrone would pay NY tax on that $4mil. But Im only guessing as well.

* 7 in Buffalo, 2 in Michigan :devil:

Technically, all of his games were coached from the heavens as he is a god walking among us mere mortals.

This is great. Now all that needs to happen is the Jags to hire Hackett as their OC.

To the Bills fans still wanting to hate. The man did do an excellent job as the Jets O line coach, and so much so that his past players, and HoF RB Curtis Martin have nothing but praise for the guy. This job could elevate him back into consideration for another head coaching job if he does it well.

I disliked Marrone mostly because of his hiring a complete NFL newbie OC in Nathaniel Hackett. He did get the DC's right tho.

This is great. Now all that needs to happen is the Jags to hire Hackett as their OC.

To the Bills fans still wanting to hate. The man did do an excellent job as the Jets O line coach, and so much so that his past players, and HoF RB Curtis Martin have nothing but praise for the guy. This job could elevate him back into consideration for another head coaching job if he does it well.

I disliked Marrone mostly because of his hiring a complete NFL newbie OC in Nathaniel Hackett. He did get the DC's right tho.

did he really need to go back 10 years to find a positive reference from a player though?

That is mostly incorrect. Players are employees just like any other members of the organization including the coaches. They receive (very complex) W-2's. You are correct that income gets taxed in the states that the team plays, but it is not quite that simple. As maddenboy pointed out, residency factors in importantly in this equation. If a player is a NY resident then they will pay tax on their worldwide income (just like we all do) and they will take a tax credit for the taxes paid to other states. As far as I would hazard a guess, Marrone is probably still a NY resident and will pay tax on any income he receives as long as he remains one, regardless of where it was earned. Interestingly (at least to me) there is no special tax code for athletes, these same rules apply to widget salesmen, lawyers, etc. The technology doesn't exist (yet) to enforce the rules against the average person and there is not enough money in it for the states to go after, but obviously there is with the athletes and their schedules are readily accessible, so many think these rules only apply to them. Also, most of the high profile court cases in this area involve athletes.

Edited by BarkLessWagMore

I don't hate Doug Marrone or anyone else really. I was even of the mind he should get another year, and on balance doing a good job with the Bills. Once he quit on the team with his misguided power play, I am simply happy to see him dumpster diving to salvage what may be left of his career. F him. He no doubt by now is regretting his idiotic manuver. Hope it hurts and good riddance to a guy with apparently very low character, if you value loyalty as a charceter trait, which I do.

@ChrisBrownBills: Report: Marrone hired by Jaguars http://t.co/i2qiBhnmWU

@SalSports: So, the Bills and Jags will both be in London for several days together leading up to the game next October 25. This should be fun.

LMAO!! Could this be the worst "overplay your hand" move in the history of coaching??