Someone Tell Me Again Why Buddy Traded Lynch...

cale

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the point, in case you missed it, is that perennial managerial incompetence shares a significant part of the blame for his failure here.

It was Buddy and Chan's first year (5th month to be precise) on the job. They were nothing perennial.

Sure, the fact that Wilson had to clean house once again definitely played a part in it. I already admitted as much when I stated it as a reason he didnt want to be here. But there were about 50 other players who didnt mind, and didnt pout, and acted like adults and did their jobs.

Marshawn wanted out, so he was traded. THAT is the answer to OPs question.

This is all true, but it raises another point. Good RBs who get drafted high usually aren't choirboys -- it takes a certain sort to deliver that sort of punishment to defenders. Most of the Bills' high-round RB draft picks were either criminally inclined, wildly irresponsible, or chronic complainers. Just look at the history: OJ ('nuff said), Travis Henry, Ronnie Harmon, McGahee, Cribbs (who would have been ridden out of town on a rail by today's fans given his holdouts), Cookie Gilchrist, and Lynch. None except for OJ lasted long. Even the few that RBs we drafted high who proved to be upstanding citizens -- Spiller, Antowain Smith, and Terry Miller -- didn't last long. Smith lasted just a short while with the Bills before moving on to NE, where he was reasonably successful for a few years; I expect Spiller will do the same.

The one outlier is Thurman Thomas, who lasted a long time. He obviously wasn't a bad guy, but for those who remember he wasn't regarded as a particularly nice guy in his playing days. "Surly" is the word that comes most to mind. And he had a *lot* of critics.

There has only been one Buffalo Bill I met in person that was mean to fans in public. That was Thurman Thomas. I was taken aback as a 12 year old, having already met Kelly, Bennett, Talley, Conlan, Smerlas, and a few others in person around town. I never thought it was even possible for a player to be mean to his fans, let alone kids. Thurman was a real !@#$ at the time though. No other Bills was ever mean like that, before or after. Just Thurman. Weird.

I kinda forgive him though, since a few years ago I saw him up in the Paul Maguire Club, and knowing how he is with fans I didnt bother to approach him. I just snuck up next to him, phone out and ready, threw my arm around him, snapped a pic, yelled GO BILLS and ran away before he could even protest.

It was Buddy and Chan's first year (5th month to be precise) on the job. They were nothing perennial.

Sure, the fact that Wilson had to clean house once again definitely played a part in it. I already admitted as much when I stated it as a reason he didnt want to be here. But there were about 50 other players who didnt mind, and didnt pout, and acted like adults and did their jobs.

There has only been one Buffalo Bill I met in person that was mean to fans in public. That was Thurman Thomas. I was taken aback as a 12 year old, having already met Kelly, Bennett, Talley, Conlan, Smerlas, and a few others in person around town. I never thought it was even possible for a player to be mean to his fans, let alone kids. Thurman was a real !@#$ at the time though. No other Bills was ever mean like that, before or after. Just Thurman. Weird.

I kinda forgive him though, since a few years ago I saw him up in the Paul Maguire Club, and knowing how he is with fans I didnt bother to approach him. I just snuck up next to him, phone out and ready, threw my arm around him, snapped a pic, yelled GO BILLS and ran away before he could even protest.

Thanks for posting this. There were a bunch of stories like this back in the day. He does seem to be more mature and happier now (at least on the surface!).

it was chan f'ing gailey and buddy nix. lynch didn't need a crystal ball to see into the future of the bills for the next few years. no one should have..

those that stayed, collected a paycheck and little else.

i don't think folks are absolving him of his idiocy, just pointing out that he was salvageable (and clearly worth the effort), just not by a poorly run organization.

Salvageable? Yup. Obviously.

Salvageable in Buffalo, a city he clearly hated at that time? Very possibly not.

i would start by assembling a decent team with an outside chance at a super bowl around him.

He asked you what you would do to salvage Marshawn. Not the team. Marshawn was fine on a losing Seattle team that went 4-12 in 2010. Fine on the 6-10 Seahawks the next year, when his YPA suddenly jumped back up to previous levels.

Decent players play. At least to the end of their contracts.

Marshawn did what locker room cancers do, he played poorly and denied it was his fault.

Sure the team should have gotten better. As it turns out, that's just what they've been doing since Nix took over, slowly getting better. But they should have done that for the fans' sake and the team's sake, not to "salvage" Marshawn.

the point, in case you missed it, is that perennial managerial incompetence shares a significant part of the blame for his failure here.

Yeah, it was managerial incompetence that hit that girl in his car.

Managerial incompetence that brought bottles in to bars.

Managerial incompetence that got him caught back in Oakland with an illegally carried weapon.

Managerial incompetence that got him suspended for four weeks.

Managerial incompetence that made him steal that $20 bill from that cop's wife.

Managerial incompetence that constantly had him talking about how wonderful Oakland and it's music was.

And managerial incompetence that allowed the media to actually report on this in such an unfriendly way.

None of it was Marshawn's fault.

it was chan f'ing gailey and buddy nix. lynch didn't need a crystal ball to see into the future of the bills for the next few years. no one should have..

those that stayed, collected a paycheck and little else.

Tell that to Kyle Williams. Tell it to Freddy Jackson.

They stepped up and acted like men and now are reaping the rewards of at least the beginnings of a possible turnaround.

Edited by Thurman#1

He asked you what you would do to salvage Marshawn. Not the team. Marshawn was fine on a losing Seattle team that went 4-12 in 2010. Fine on the 6-10 Seahawks the next year, when his YPA suddenly jumped back up to previous levels.

Decent players play. At least to the end of their contracts.

Marshawn did what locker room cancers do, he played poorly and denied it was his fault.

Sure the team should have gotten better. As it turns out, that's just what they've been doing since Nix took over, slowly getting better. But they should have done that for the fans' sake and the team's sake, not to "salvage" Marshawn.

None of it was Marshawn's fault.

They stepped up and acted like men and now are reaping the rewards of at least the beginnings of a possible turnaround.

hawks hired carroll. bills hired gailey. nuff said.

no one is absolving lynch. he became a great player elsewhwere. might have become one here had circumstances been different.

they might well have had more rewards had they played elsewhere like lynch.

He really seemed to have simply warn out his welcome with some of his stupid off-field behavior.

Weren't there stories about him taking money from people in bars or something like that?

Plus, he wasn't nearly as productive in Buffalo as he's been in Seattle.

Yeah, there were those stories.

I don't think they'd have mattered too much if he was productive and a good team member. In 2009, he was playing behind "can anyone play left tackle?" OL of Demetress Bell, Kirk Chambers (who?) at right tackle, Hangartner was brutal at center, and rookies Wood and Levitre as guard. "Beast Mode" likes a hole to start out with and he wasn't getting many. Trentative Edwards wasn't throwing downfield enough to keep the D from stacking the box. And, "Lunchpail" Fred Jackson got a chance and outperformed Lynch in every category - YPA (4.5 to 3.8), rushing yards, receptions, blocking, you name it. FredEx is a special player, one who can somehow get 3-4 yds when there's nothing there. Lynch is only "Beast Mode" once he gets going, he would dance about looking for a hole that never was made.

Next year under no-name Chan Gailey and his underwhelming OC and DC and with no significant acquisitions at QB or OL, Lynch rightly felt the Bills were going nowhere and he wanted out. He delayed reporting and made it clear. Meanwhile FredEx continued to kick butt and take names, making Lynch seem redundant. I personally still feel there was some incident that made Nix spin Lynch out of Buffalo like a gyroscope on a short wire, but that's my personal conjecture.

Lynch is like the frumpy girl you dated and dumped in high school, who glammed up and turned into a knockout. You didn't see it coming, and there's no point kicking yourself for it now.

Edited by Hopeful

'It merit's discussion. The topic is very clearly denoted. Don't want to discuss? Don't open this thread.'

Ahh, the voice of reason.I have seen people get on others for bringing up a topic that was discussed on a previous post. Yes the topic is clearly denoted, but was discussed many times already. And don't tell me what to do, I'll open a thread and discuss like anyone else. Sorry your skin is so thin. Du yu looke fore speling srors two?

Great then come participate in a thread that now has 10 pages. The community obviously thinks this is worth discussing...again. And apparently much to your chagrin. Just quit your whining....Sheesh.

You know, maybe i am pissed it looks like the NFL gunna sweep the Pats thing away...and i am well on the record i detest Lynch ...but fining him more than $50K for not talking is just ridiculous.

I know i am in the minorrity, but damn i am happy when these guys dont talk. Most are so coached and talk in circular cliches...rather hear drunk Rob from Orchard Park after games than 98% of these guys.

Stay strong Marshawn...keep athletes off the airwaves!

Edited by plenzmd1

You know, maybe i am pissed it looks like the NFL gunna sweep the Pats thing away...and i am well on the record i detest Lynch ...but fining him more than $50K for not talking is just ridiculous.

I know i am in the minorrity, but damn i am happy when these guys dont talk. Most are so coached and talk in circular cliches...rather hear drunk Rob from Orchard Park after games than 98% of these guys.

Stay strong Marshawn...keep athletes off the airwaves!

LOL! I wholeheartedly agree.

Edited by dave mcbride