Dan Quinn v. Rex Ryan

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ryan wanted to be elsewhere until Terry showed him a Brinks truck full of money. I'm surprised more isn't being said about Rex's rich deal.

Promo

But wasnt that the great and exciting point of having a deep pockets owner? Having someone willing to pay the positions that will actually turn this team around?

Its an answer that you turned to your agenda (which you have no matter how you try to flower it up)

The point I am making is.....there is a MULTITUDE of once hot **** offensive and defensive coordinators in the league that looked great at one time then flamed out as head coaches.......just a ton

and since you have entered Rex into my conversation.....Rex in fact showed that now only is he a great defensive mind but also can HC two teams to afc championships

Somthing that the coordinator has not shown the ability to do.......they are working off that great but terrible word....P.O.T.E.N.T.I.A.L

And Ryan could be considered one of those coordinators who has had limited success as a HC. Where else was he going to be hired?

And Ryan could be considered one of those coordinators who has had limited success as a HC. Where else was he going to be hired?

Your agenda is now in full affect.....thank you for coming out from under your mask.

Rex Ryan was WIDELY considered one of the "big fish" head coaches in this coaching search......by multiple sources.....there are even those of them who were upset that Rex came to us instead of a supposidly better landing spot like the falcons.

And yes....past success counts as success.......consistant success in having top 10 defenses every year counts as success......

An offensive coordinator who has not worked one game as a head coach? No success as a head coach yet.

I'd take Rex over Quinn. Guy who coached in a terribly dysfunctional organization and brought them to two AFC Championship games. HE is in a much better situation here. Quinn is a giant ??? I'll take the guy with experience.

I am not sure if anyone said Quinn was a giant... I know it wasn't me. Personally, I have stated that Ryan was the right choice for the Bills right now - experience is a key factor... #1 on my list actually. Other posters have morphed my original post. Things happen. I just thought it interesting that they passed on Rex... Twice.

Just want to get it out there that my record as a HC is 0-0. That's pretty darn good I think, for being a banker and all. .500 is better than a lot of the guys who have been NFL HCs for decades.

#winning

Ohhh, a banker! We forgive you. I escaped after a couple decades of that. My wife's still in it, and that's how the bills get paid. Turns out she's MUCH better than I was. (But I was pretty good.) That explains why I have waaaay too much time to be posting here and elsewhere! And my NFL record is also not below .500. If you're ever looking for a Quality Control Assistant, I'm your guy.

Your agenda is now in full affect.....thank you for coming out from under your mask.

Rex Ryan was WIDELY considered one of the "big fish" head coaches in this coaching search......by multiple sources.....there are even those of them who were upset that Rex came to us instead of a supposidly better landing spot like the falcons.

And yes....past success counts as success.......consistant success in having top 10 defenses every year counts as success......

An offensive coordinator who has not worked one game as a head coach? No success as a head coach yet.

Dan Quinn is a defensive coordinator. So...

Also...I appreciate the tip. I will change my avatar. I was never aware of the mask.

Edited by 217014170

I like the fact that Terry Pegula took a very active role in hiring a HC. Buffalo needs an owner who is engaged and understands the game because business success doesn't lend itself to winning in the NFL.

That said, the personnel department is in fact lacking in experience and Whaley's record in the 2013 and 2014 drafts isn't exceptional. Better than Nix, but not anywhere near what Ted Thompson, John Schneider, Ozzie Newsome, or New England have done. And you need the best personnel department to get this deep in the post-season.

The best thing is that Russ Brandon no longer will be interfering in the football operations decision making process.

How in the world does that change anything in what i just said.....he is a coordinator. Does it matter if he is offensive or defensive? He certainly has not been a head coach?

It doesn't change anything YOU said. However, I would invite you to go back and read my original post. The comparison is not random coordinator against random HC being candidates for two different teams. I found it interesting that both candidates were defensively focused and up for the same job. One, the Bills hired, and one was "worth waiting for". Another factor is that it was a foregone conclusion that Rex was going to Atlanta. So...why did it not go down as everyone except the Falcons had predicted?

On a side note - I doubt that if I had made a similar error that you would just let it go.

Like most people on this board I favored an offensive minded coach but I took it one step further - with HC experience (like Pat Shurmur or Gary Kubiak - REALISTIC options for the Bills). Never did I see Ryan coming here. Once it went down I actually warmed up to the hire and explicitly pointed out in detail in more than one post why.

Not really following every word you are saying in your posts that closely.....so probably would not have called you out.

I also did not see Ryan coming here....but not because I didnt want it......I thought that one of the big fish hires would have chosen a more "stir and ready" team like the falcons...they have their QB....and Rex is a fricken defensive genious who could have turned around what the falcons had.

I believe the reason why Rex came here is 2 fold

a. An owner came out of pocket and paid him pretty well.....which is something that simply has not happened in the past....in the past we WOULD have taken a coordinator and hoped for the best.

and

b. Rex sees this team much further along then a lot of fans do.......the team has regional stability.....the defense is the backbone of the team and its identity....they brought in proven offensive coaches....there IS talent on the O side of the ball......

THe O line needs to be retooled, then need a veteran QB that can accurate throw 20 times a game.....and they need another quality TE.....

They went with experience....because the team is not that far away....

Not only does Quinn have a lot of talent in Seattle, he also has Pete Carroll who's a defensive mastermind. I just don't know how much Quinn himself brings to Seattle's defensive success.

So I'd take Rex over Quinn.

I get the sense that Carroll is more willing to delegate at this stage of his career than Rex currently does. Also, there is a certain cache over hiring someone away from the Super Bowl champions and if Seattle wins it again it only helps. Seattle's formula is one of a few in the NFL worth emulating...that's for sure.

I get the sense that Carroll is more willing to delegate at this stage of his career than Rex currently does. Also, there is a certain cache over hiring someone away from the Super Bowl champions and if Seattle wins it again it only helps. Seattle's formula is one of a few in the NFL worth emulating...that's for sure.

Just out of curiosity what gives you that sense?

Not really following every word you are saying in your posts that closely.....so probably would not have called you out.

I also did not see Ryan coming here....but not because I didnt want it......I thought that one of the big fish hires would have chosen a more "stir and ready" team like the falcons...they have their QB....and Rex is a fricken defensive genious who could have turned around what the falcons had.

I believe the reason why Rex came here is 2 fold

a. An owner came out of pocket and paid him pretty well.....which is something that simply has not happened in the past....in the past we WOULD have taken a coordinator and hoped for the best.

and

b. Rex sees this team much further along then a lot of fans do.......the team has regional stability.....the defense is the backbone of the team and its identity....they brought in proven offensive coaches....there IS talent on the O side of the ball......

THe O line needs to be retooled, then need a veteran QB that can accurate throw 20 times a game.....and they need another quality TE.....

They went with experience....because the team is not that far away....

And I agree with all of this...and I will add that Rex does not appear to be power hungry. I hope he proves to be what we seem to both think he is - an experienced, stabilizing piece to keep the team moving in the right direction.

I also think the fifth year was a differentiator. Maybe a "We know we don't have a first round pick and a proven QB in 2015 so we will give you an extra year to get things humming."

And I agree with all of this...and I will add that Rex does not appear to be power hungry. I hope he proves to be what we seem to both think he is - an experienced, stabilizing piece to keep the team moving in the right direction.

I also think the fifth year was a differentiator. Maybe a "We know we don't have a first round pick and a proven QB in 2015 so we will give you an extra year to get things humming."

Because I think that the D will not drop off in any major way......I consider that "stable"

Our ST also seems to have found its stability.....thats 2 of 3.

The whole thing is gonna revolve around what happens with this offense......they need to be aggressive in all areas of weak to average talent....they need to create a pool of starters AND legit backups

In the end.....2 solid OG's and a QB that can throw a accurate pass would make the group look a whole lot different