Dan Quinn v. Rex Ryan

Just out of curiosity what gives you that sense?

Let me clarify...I am not saying he is completely hands off. In order to develop and run the entire program he has installed in Seattle (as a 62 year old) he would have to set the tone and place a very high degree of trust in his coaches to carry the message. That is what might be most intriguing to teams interested in Quinn; maybe they see him as a mini-Carroll. Quinn would seemingly be the closest assistant on his staff. Also, it is difficult for a HC to stay plugged in as much to the entire game if they lean too heavily towards one side of the ball. It seems Carroll is always on the money with things like the trick plays we saw tonight.

My stated concern about Ryan is his game management. My suggestion was designating an assistant and creating a dedicated channel in his headset for discussing game situations. I wondered if Ryan would have went for two tonight like Seattle did or if he would have already turned his focus towards how to stop Green Bay's two minute offense. Make sense?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Rex would not have gone for 2 because he would have known his D could stop anybody....and I actually agree with that philosophy but it depends on a lot of different factors.

also

My son was being recruited by USC coming out of high school when Pete Carrol was the coach there. One of the things my son came away from his meetings with Carrol is you could tell he was an absolute control freak (and my kid was a LB and Pete was a defensive guy)

I get the sense that NOTHING happens on that field without Carrol approving it.

I think that Rex would not have gone for 2 because he would have known his D could stop anybody....and I actually agree with that philosophy but it depends on a lot of different factors.

also

My son was being recruited by USC coming out of high school when Pete Carrol was the coach there. One of the things my son came away from his meetings with Carrol is you could tell he was an absolute control freak (and my kid was a LB and Pete was a defensive guy)

I get the sense that NOTHING happens on that field without Carrol approving it.

Good information...

That's not necessarily true, or we don't know it to be true. Ryan had been burnt by them before. They have four guys with power making the decision. The main guy, the owner Blank's mother passed away the day before Ryan interviewed with the Bills. They didn't give him an answer but it could very well have been they needed more time, because of Blank and because one or more of the other three were unsure about Ryan.

Ryan didn't want to wait and be burnt by them again, so he took the second interview with the Bills before the Falcons made up their mind.

Maybe Ryan just chose the Bills over Atlanta? We have a better record the last 2 seasons and much, much better defensive pieces.

Based on everything I have read, the situation was what Kelly stated. But unless Rex told the reporter(s), we will never know for sure.

I am sure we will get a few more details from Atlanta when they officially announce Quinn as their HC. I am sure the question will be asked - "Why Quinn?" or "Why not Ryan?"

I'm sure of that, too, and I'm sure that they will say that Quinn was our guy all along, and I'm sure that won't tell us anything more about the truth whatsoever. ;)