Rex on EJ: "I'd like to see him use his legs more."

johnwalter

"I know EJ is somebody that we looked at when he came out. I think the entire league did. I feel like he has a lot of traits that you look for in a quarterback. He's smart, he's dedicated. I think he has movement skills. I'd like to see him use his legs more than he has. Sometimes, just like we mentioned through coaching and even playing quarterback, I think a little more experience the better you are going to be. The more comfortable you are going to be. He'll certainly be given an opportunity here."

I thought this was by far the most interesting/revealing thing Rex said at his introductory presser. Does this, plus the Roman hiring, indicate that Buffalo will be running a full-blown, read-option offense next season?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does have nice legs. But I'd rather dwvelop the dude as a QB then a runner

obviously. BUT you can't deny that you've never said "Damn I wish our QB could do that" when an opposing QB rushed in for the winning TD against the Bills!!

having the option to run more is in line with what SF did with Kap no?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It already demonstrates the differences between Marrone's staff and Rex's. It's pretty obvious that after the injuries Marrone and Hackett told EJ to not run it. I'd really like something in between. Something like Rogers or Luck. If it's not there run it. They'll get 15-30 yards a game in scrambles but it's not a staple of their O.

"I know EJ is somebody that we looked at when he came out. I think the entire league did. I feel like he has a lot of traits that you look for in a quarterback. He's smart, he's dedicated. I think he has movement skills. I'd like to see him use his legs more than he has. Sometimes, just like we mentioned through coaching and even playing quarterback, I think a little more experience the better you are going to be. The more comfortable you are going to be. He'll certainly be given an opportunity here."

I thought this was by far the most interesting/revealing thing Rex said at his introductory presser. Does this, plus the Roman hiring, indicate that Buffalo will be running a full-blown, read-option offense next season?

there is a pretty wide range between a full blown read option and the stay in the pocket concepts.

i think EJs legs are the type that convert you a few extra 3rd and 5 plays when stuff is covered downfield, but not running ALL the time... those are important conversions and he has the skill to get them.

It already demonstrates the differences between Marrone's staff and Rex's. It's pretty obvious that after the injuries Marrone and Hackett told EJ to not run it. I'd really like something in between. Something like Rogers or Luck. If it's not there run it. They'll get 15-30 yards a game in scrambles but it's not a staple of their O.

exactly. even a guy like alex smith can be a thorn in your side with those conversions. i dont want him to be RG3, but i want the defense to either have to keep an eye on the QB (opening up WRs) or get burned with some easy first downs and then he gets to the ground/sideline

I'd like to see him move more, but that doesn't mean QB running plays, and exposing him to injury.

Things like moving the pocket can go a long way towards giving him time to throw, and breaking down a defense.

Edited by Dorkington

I'd like to see him move more, but that doesn't mean QB running plays, and exposing him to injury.

Things like moving the pocket can go a long way towards giving him time to throw, and breaking down a defense.

im even ok with the occasional read option where he takes the option himself. if we run it and in a month he keeps the ball 10 times, and 3 or 4 times he passes and 6-7 he runs, a defense has to stay honest -- which opens lanes for the RBs

im even ok with the occasional read option where he takes the option himself. if we run it and in a month he keeps the ball 10 times, and 3 or 4 times he passes and 6-7 he runs, a defense has to stay honest -- which opens lanes for the RBs

Yeah, that's reasonable, as long as the coaching is there to teach him to not take giant hits. :)

see above

yup -- i havent watched A TON of the niners, but i think the people that are saying they run well because they have gore and a good OL and the OC wasnt a big part of that are short selling how creative he is in the run game. the talent is big too, but he does a lot to keep defenses on their heels and create false steps/hesitation. its the type of stuff a was posting about ALL SEASON when we were watching straight runs behind the guards, or the previous read option stuff with no actual options. the 9ers and seattle both do a lot to help the run game beyond just having good backs.

Agree. They really coached EJ to play scared-- not get injured, not make mistakes. I wonder if he is a lost cause or these guys can coach him back up again.

there is a pretty wide range between a full blown read option and the stay in the pocket concepts.

i think EJs legs are the type that convert you a few extra 3rd and 5 plays when stuff is covered downfield, but not running ALL the time... those are important conversions and he has the skill to get them.

Or a broken 3rd & 1 play?