How Rex can get Bills to playoffs well researched PFF articl

Bocephuz

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12153872/how-rex-ryan-get-buffalo-bills-playoffs-2015-nfl

Outstanding/ insightful/ well researched article from Neil Hornsby at PFF. Great to see a national writer actually know what he's talking about.

To piggy back on his points

HUGHES... I agree we shouldn't break the bank on Hughes. He seems to be a better fit for a 4-3 than 3-4 anyway. Plenty of other good free agent 3-4 OLB hybrid types available.

O LINE - Marrone really did sabotage the OLine with all of his tinkering.. Roman has to be an upgrade as he has a history of building top notch o lines and creating a physical identity. Having a defined identity ( Ground and Pound) will be beneficial as the Bills O clearly did not have an identity in 2014. If we can sign someone like a Mike Iupati .. who knows the scheme and would be a great leader.. that will help.

AVG QB PLAY - An upgrade in FA would be nice.. but if for whatever reason it doesn't happen I think Roman is the perfect guy to coach up EJ and play to his strengths... which are.. mobility and ball security. In 2013 ( when Hackett was allowed to run things his way) EJ did fairly well with the read option stuff.. and did much better when under center with a fullback and heavy formation on the field. As soon as his knee problems surfaced the coaching staff panicked and threw that all away in favor of shotgun/spread one side of the field read kind of offense. The 49ers offense with Kaepernick frequently used heavy sets and a lot of read option and I expect to see similar looks for the Bills O in 2015

SHORE UP THE SLOT - With Rex's defense .. secondary play is priority one so I'm sure the slot cb position will be upgraded one way or another.

Edited by Bocephuz

Also just read that Roman's power running game very rarely uses the screen game as his scheme calls for big lumbering O lineman to block downhill and those type of guys don't do well pulling and getting out in front of the screen game. This could be good for a guy like Cyril Richardson.

I don't want to just get to the playoffs. That's crap. I don't want anything less then getting to the AFC Championship game. Teams who get to the playoffs year after year and lose, like the Bengals, are just not a very good team. They are still miles away from a Super Bowl appearance and hovering just a little bit higher then we are.

We have to simply do better then playoffs, regardless what PFF or Ryan say or want.

I don't want to just get to the playoffs. That's crap. I don't want anything less then getting to the AFC Championship game. Teams who get to the playoffs year after year and lose, like the Bengals, are just not a very good team. They are still miles away from a Super Bowl appearance and hovering just a little bit higher then we are.

We have to simply do better then playoffs, regardless what PFF or Ryan say or want.

Fair enough. Consider though that the 49ers were one play away from winning it all in 2012 ( pass interference?) and they made the NFC championship game several years in a row with Roman running the Offense. Rex also made the AFC championship two years in a row. Not sure why you think Roman or Rex aren't capable of reaching that level of success again when they both have histories of actually getting to that level.

Obviously a lot of things have to go right for that to happen.. however.. I think the odds are better when you have leaders in place who have already demonstrated they are capable of generating that kind of success.

Edited by Bocephuz

Roby has a great year in the slot under Mike p

lot of raw talent on the oline they definitely will need to bring in a high caliber vet guard

As for the playoffs, one step at a time , you get to the playoffs and as we are seeing its a bit of a crap shot . we were not far from a balt/colts championship game

anyone think the bills wouldn't be even or home favorite against those teams

This was my opinion in the late 90s when Wade's teams continuously lost in the playoffs. Now, I just want the playoffs. If the Bills can achieve that then I'll upgrade my wishes at that time.

Well I think most Bills fans want a Super Bowl win most of all, but we have to get to the playoffs first before any of that is possible.

Very little chance of doing better than Hughes at the other def. end spot. Also, Ithink Robey had a GREAT season at slot corner. Of course it's Rex so another corner will be added.

Other than Hughes, the free agent money must be spent on offense: namely QB.

One player largely forgotten this year is Manny Lawson who would fit perfectly in a 3-4.

Edited by Wagon Circler

This was my opinion in the late 90s when Wade's teams continuously lost in the playoffs. Now, I just want the playoffs. If the Bills can achieve that then I'll upgrade my wishes at that time.

We were all spoiled by the 90's Bills' incredible run ( Ralph included). Wade was a good coach.. unfortunately he got walked all over by management ( Ralph insisting Rob Johnson start playoff game etc...). I remember when Wade was interviewed after a close loss in a late season Monday night game and he made a statement like " We're not a playoff team" when they were still mathematically in it. I'm pretty sure this sealed his fate. At the time I was pissed at that statement and wanted him fired as well. Looking back I think it was a bad move. Firing a guy for one slip of the tongue in a post game interview was not smart in hindsight

Very little chance of doing better than Hughes at the other def. end spot. Also, Ithink Robey had a GREAT season at slot corner. Of course it's Rex so another corner will be added.

Other than Hughes, the free agent money must be spent on offense: namely QB.

One player largely forgotten this year is Manny Lawson who would fit perfectly in a 3-4.

I forgot about Manny Lawson... he would be a good early down 3-4 guy with his coverage and edge setting abilities.. not sure he can bring enough heat on the pass rush though

Once you make the playoffs all bets are off. So make the playoffs first then one game at a time.

i know OP said he was piggy-backing on the article, but anyone care to summarize the article for those of us that don't have access to insider espn

Sorry .. forgot it was an insider link.

In short the writer listed 4 areas where the Bills could make improvements/adjustments (1.) find a good 3/4 OLB .. not necessarily Hughes 2.) Fix the O-Line 3.) Get Average QB play 4.) Improve the slot CB position.

If said adjustments were made the Bills should be able to make playoffs in 2015

Edited by Bocephuz

baby steps. Get to the playoffs first. then worry about the next step

After reading the various lines about Roman,does anyone else get a feeling that maybe Pegs asked Rex what he thought of him as an offensive minded guy and Rex noting the interest brought him up a OC.It just seems that the wording in these articles make it seem like maybe It was one of those things he used to sell himself.

After reading the various lines about Roman,does anyone else get a feeling that maybe Pegs asked Rex what he thought of him as an offensive minded guy and Rex noting the interest brought him up a OC.It just seems that the wording in these articles make it seem like maybe It was one of those things he used to sell himself.

unless JW or someone of irrefutable credit chimes in we must remember that these are all 3rd person articles

can't remember where I read it, but Rex was already talking to Roman for some time

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-09-27/news/sns-rt-fbn-49ers-jets-newssxe60a7a1-20120927_1_darrelle-revis-rex-ryan-greg-roman

not the one I read but it gives you a timeline

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

You have to make the playoffs to win in the playoffs.

I get what you're saying... but after what we've been through I'd be happy for now just to make the playoffs if the only thing we won was the coin toss.

One step at a time.

I remember when Wade was interviewed after a close loss in a late season Monday night game and he made a statement like " We're not a playoff team" when they were still mathematically in it. I'm pretty sure this sealed his fate. At the time I was pissed at that statement and wanted him fired as well. Looking back I think it was a bad move. Firing a guy for one slip of the tongue in a post game interview was not smart in hindsight

I remember that game vs the Colts, but I remember it as he was interviewed before the game and said "neither of these teams are going to make the playoffs." The Colts won that game and made the playoffs. I think, as Marrone did, the head coach should be positive about the chances of making the playoffs until mathematically eliminated.