Anyone ever done a PCH road trip?

Yes, we drove north from LA to SF about five years ago. It's something I'd always wanted to do.

We were coming from Palm Springs so the first day drove to Santa Barbara. Ate at a great little seafood dive at the very end of the pier. Next day drove up to Carmel (Colonial Terrace Inn, pretty nice, about a block from the beach). Third day did the 17 mile drive (if we'd had more time I would have spent an extra day on the Monterey Peninsula), and then drove up to San Fran.

Awesome trip -- highly recommended. Lots of neat little stops along the way.

We did 3 days San Fran/Napa , then headed south. Wanted to rent a manual convertible, alas no rental companies would do it. Spent nights in half moon bay, 2 in Carmel , San Louis Obispo and Santa Barbara.

Truly enjoyed, did a bunch of hiking, eating and drinking!

Highly recommend it.

We did 3 days San Fran/Napa , then headed south. Wanted to rent a manual convertible, alas no rental companies would do it. Spent nights in half moon bay, 2 in Carmel , San Louis Obispo and Santa Barbara.

Truly enjoyed, did a bunch of hiking, eating and drinking!

Highly recommend it.

I want to photograph/blog the trip, so I'll likely do a minimum week and a half/two weeks. Thinking maybe early fall, late summer....Not sure when the best time of year would be.

Edited by joesixpack

I did the drive from LA to San Simeon and took about 4 days and did the touristy stuff and a few years later from SF to Portland OR. One of my favorite vacations even if it was a lot of driving.

Well i like the sound of the SF -> Portland route too. Hm. Maybe I'll consider that.

Well i like the sound of the SF -> Portland route too. Hm. Maybe I'll consider that.

You can't go wrong from TIjuana to Seattle. All beautiful and different. I almost think the drive from our house(Bay area) to Portland is just as nice as Bay area to LA. Very different. The coast gets much more rugged the farther north you go. Mount Shasta and the park is gorgeou but Im not sure if that extends to the coast at all. If you do the trip make sure you go to Pebble Beach in Monterrey and drive around the course. Hearst Castle is worth it as well. When I first did the trip I really loved south of LA as well like San Clemente and so on. Just a few things that come to mind.

Edited by Dante

You can't go wrong from TIjuana to Seattle. All beautiful and different. I almost think the drive from our house(Bay area) to Portland is just as nice as Bay area to LA. Very different. Mount Shasta and the park is gorgeous. If you do the trip make sure you go to Pebble Beach in Monterrey and drive around the course. Hearst Castle is worth it as well. When I first did the trip I really loved south of LA as well like San Clemente and so on. Just a few things that come to mind.

I've been to San Clemente and Salt Creek. Both beautiful. Also La Jolla. That would be a truly ambitious trip tho, Tijuana to Seattle. Wonder how long I could stretch that trip out.

Ate at a great little seafood dive at the very end of the pier.

Brophy Brothers. We hit it every time we're up there. Always start with their cold appetizer platter; fresh oysters on the shell, peel-n-eat-shrimp, crap, ceviche...damn terrific.

That would be a truly ambitious trip tho, Tijuana to Seattle. Wonder how long I could stretch that trip out.

If you get to Tijuana and make a wrong turn and admit you have registered guns, you can stretch a trip to Mexico up to 200 days.

Never did it. I lived in SoCal for 25 years and every time I went to the Bay Area we wanted to get there as quick as possible. We didn't even like taking the 101 seeing the 5 was quicker. I will say however seeing I lived in south LA county and Orange county for most of my time down there the drive up the coast in OC is fantastic. From San Clemente to Long Beach. PCH through LA county is not that great until you get through/past Santa Monica. Have a great trip if you do it.

Nope. But I've done an LSD road trip. Does that count?

Other road trip ideas I had included W Palm Beach -> Key West, though that's decidedly less ambitious.

that all depends on when you make the drive.

If you want island hopping -

You can also include Virginia Beach to Wilmington NC

Fuel prices will kill you... Better get the hybrid and go green!

LoL... ;-)

Sounds like a cool/trip!

It's also fairly boring. WPB, Miami and Key West are all cool spots, but there's really not much on the drive.

Do the Pt. Barrow to Key West... Now that must be an adventure. Oh, on an enduro (dual-sport for all you youngins) too! It will come in handy for the unpaved road near the Arctic Circle and then just look cool the rest of the way ;-)