Anyone ever done a PCH road trip?

Did it like 30 yrs ago from San Jose where the brother of my wife (then girlfriend) lived at the time to LA where my sister lived. Was a very cool trip. Things I remember stopping at were Monteray Bay Aquarium, Pebble Beach, Carmel, Hearst Castle and cool towns along the way.

At one point we stopped at some town and for some reason my wife wanted to rent ATVs on the beach which apparently was (unknown to me) some stupid thing on her bucket list at the time. This this turned out to be one of the most stressful things I've ever done. The idiots told me to drive and park on the beach despite me voicing my concerns "It will be fine, don't worry!" (I convinced myself later that this was a trap for stupid tourists to have to call for towing which they probably got kickbacks on or owned) and the wind was blowing like 100 MPH and just sandblasting us with like 10 ft visibility. We take off, all I could think about was how much the sandblasting hurt and how friggin loud it was, whether my rental would still be there when I got back or taken out by the tide, or if I would be able to drive off even if the car was in fact still there - all the time trying not to lose my wife and get completely lost or go flying off the edge of an unseen dune. Every time I see the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where the grandmother goes off the dune I think that could have been me. Anyway we survived (and got off the beach) and have a memorable story now to remind us.

We didn't really plan it (being young and adventurous) and even know what to find/expect - and I'm glad we did it that way. The very best thing we did was rent a convertible - I would definitely highly recommend doing that.

Durning the springtime couple years ago I took a big road trip around the US, and drove the PCH from LA to SF, but I was really just driving through and didn't stop many places. Beautiful road though.

I don't remember where we were, but it was about 7 or 8 am on a kind of drab, overcast morning. I pulled over somewhere that I saw a surfer walking through a field to a little cove. Might have been some state park or something. So I pulled over and followed him and I see him paddling out into the surf and there were freaking whales coming up all around him. It was just so wild. It was the coolest moment of that leg of the trip, and it didn't even cost me a dime.