I'm sorry, but I think we took a big step back

Virgil

Rex is going to run a hybrid D based on confusing the offense. It won't be as much 3-4 or 4-3 as it will be tailored to the opponent. I don't think he will rely on the front 4 as much and I think that will impact whether they throw big $ at Hughes. I think Lawson and Robey could have bigger roles like they did in 2013. I think we need another DT. Gilmore, AW and Duke Williams will fit what he likes to do. Not sure if we sign Searcy who I think is an underrated FA and will let get a decent contract somewhere.

Our Lb group will be awesome. We will sign either Spikes or David Harris.

Just my thoughts.

fairly stated.

I can now see keeping Spikes depending on Spikes.

I sure can see Ryan reaching out to Harris.

Think Searcy should be back. crossing fingers on that one . Love that kid these days.

And dt might be a must. dareus can probably play the technique but what rotation do we have ? or a true nose guard.

Lawson gets an upside with Hughes gone , and Robey will have a riot

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fairly stated.

I can now see keeping Spikes depending on Spikes.

I sure can see Ryan reaching out to Harris.

Think Searcy should be back. crossing fingers on that one . Love that kid these days.

And dt might be a must. dareus can probably play the technique but what rotation do we have ? or a true nose guard.

Lawson gets an upside with Hughes gone , and Robey will have a riot

while he may not be a true nt, I think Charles is ready to break out. For his playing time, his stats were equivalent to Kyle Williams.

I must say I wasn't thrilled about the hire. I hope with Whaley providing talent and Roman trying to build a running game this can be a better situation than the Jets. I don't want to win press conferences, I want to win playoff games. Praying for that to happen soon.

while he may not be a true nt, I think Charles is ready to break out. For his playing time, his stats were equivalent to Kyle Williams.

well this would have been my next question. Do we have someone on the team already that can eat some blockers?

Bills have had an attacking D for two years.

or does it even matter ?

Kyle is no Wilfork nor should he be.

I think this article explains to me all the love for Ryan both in Buffalo, and in NYC.

"It’s really astonishing. By the end of his run in New York, even most Yankees fans were OK seeing Joe Torre leave, and all he’d done was deliver four championships and gone 12-for-12 making the playoffs; yet there are still an awful lot of Jets fans who’d have been perfectly happy if Ryan had gotten an extension to stay here. Maybe for life."

http://nypost.com/2015/01/14/hey-buffalo-rex-will-deliver-more-laughs-than-wins/

Lets hope Whaley gives Ryan, Roman the players they needs to improve that O line. He sure didn't for Marrone, Hackett.

well this would have been my next question. Do we have someone on the team already that can eat some blockers?

Bills have had an attacking D for two years.

or does it even matter ?

Kyle is no Wilfork nor should he be.

Ryan plays the same defense we did under Pettine.

we shall see.

I unlike others, have no expectations he is going to do this or that. Nice thing about Ryan is he has a vast ability to run what is best to find weaknesses.

Going to be fun to watch his alignments and pre snap shifts !

I see all of this excitement and optimism but I just can't join in. And for the most part, I agree with most of the ESPN commentators when they talk about this change. I think we made a poor decision based upon our situation and are essentially throwing away any progress we made last year.

When I think about how the season ended and where we were at in terms of progression:

• Best record in over a decade
  • Best defense in over a decade
  • Year two of consistency
  • Declining Offense with no answer at QB

Based off of that, what did we improve?

• We brought in a defensive minded coach who runs a completely different scheme. A coach that ran a defense that made Kyle Orton look like Aaron Rodgers. I mean, we shredded them TWICE. A defense that was terrible against the run. Also, in making this change, we are going back to playing people out of position and reducing players like Hughes to situational pass rushers
    • This is speculation, but I'm also afraid that we are going to have to waste FA money and draft picks to bring in people to fit this scheme.
  • Offensively, we brought in an offensive coordinator who had Kaep regress under his watch. And sorry, but Kaep is better than EJ. They were terrible in the passing game with legit receivers and a Pro-Bowl TE. I get that they played elite defenses, but this is the NFL and no one is a cake walk. He produces a running game, but is based upon an offensive line that probably won't be able to be reproduced here with our talent for a little while.

End of the day, while personnel is a big factor, scheme and coaching is too. When the season ended, would you have wanted the San Fran offense and the Jets defense to replace our team? I would say no 10 times out of 10.

I get it. Fresh start, new players to them. But these are big leaps of faith that we can have the running game being promised and that the final 3 years of Rex's coaching career were the anomaly compared to his first 3 years as a head coach.

Again, I want to be optimistic but we basically gutted our strength and reinforced our weakness.

Why are you sorry, are you hiding something?

I think that is an interesting take but not exactly true. Rex's defenses are always good against the run, Pettine's less so. The lowest ranking against the run of a Jets defense in Rex's run there is 13th, except for 2012 when they were 27th. What is interesting about 2012? It was the one year he let someone else call defense - that someone being Mike Pettine (Rex still called 3rd down).

What will be interesting is how flexible Rex is 3-4 or 4-3. He sas he will be flexible and when I watched the Jets this year there were plenty of 4 man fronts that I saw especially on early downs. When Pettine arrived he arrived with a reputation as a 3-4 guy but in his hybrid defense we actually had 4 down linemen on the field more often than 3 down linemen.

I think Rex will fit the scheme to the talent and he will stop the run in a way Pettine has never managed to. Us continuing to be good on defense is pretty much a given I think when you mix Rex's defensive brain and his laser focus on that side of the ball with our talent.

I must say I wasn't thrilled about the hire. I hope with Whaley providing talent and Roman trying to build a running game this can be a better situation than the Jets. I don't want to win press conferences, I want to win playoff games. Praying for that to happen soon.

Sounds like you were listening to the idiots on NFL network about "winning press conferences". Would you rather that Rex flopped at the PC? I thought he did a great job. Of course the real result will be what we see on the field on Sundays. Everyone knows that. Saying that Rex "won the press conference" and then knocking him for it doesn't make much sense IMO.