Spiller sounds like he is likely to come back

How do you explain Spiller's history of generating quite impressive yards per carry prior to his poor use this past season?

The obvious attempt to explain this would be to claim that he had high ypc but few carries, but the fact he has carried the ball only a few times, but prior to the broken collarbone which limited him last year, Spiller carried the ball over 200 times the previous 2 seasons and even racked up over 1200 yds in his best season.

In the real world Spiller has demonstrated open field running ability such as in his kickoff return work and racked up some good receiving stats in college.

Is Spiller great

No.

However, is Spiller as you said one of the worst RBs ever drafted by the Bills.

No!

The reality of the situation as clearly indicated by his stats says your assessment is simply wrong.

Right now Spiller enters an RB market which is gonna be soft for him and the Bills likely will be able to resign him cheaply.

The Bills should NOT pay a ton for CJ, but I doubt they will have to.

Spiller seems like he can be a good resigning by the Bills at a reasonable price.

You're praising him for being a kick returner and Receiver.

Running Backs - Block, Follow Blocks, and continue to move the ball forward after initial contact.

Spiller is terrible at all of that. He is one of the worst Running Backs judged by running back skills that the Bills have ever drafted.

Edited by Why So Serious?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the list of all free agents from Yahoo Sports. Not that this is the end all, but check out all the top 10-15 at each position. It seems to be a pretty damn good list. Everyone can argue over this or that guy being one spot higher but I'd like to know who doesn't think this is a good list...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2015-nfl-free-agents-141400044--nfl.html

Spiller is the second best back. Ahead of Ingram. Forsett. Matthews. Gore. McFadden. The two Pats guys. Helu.

The only reason I would bring up a list like this is all other positions have very solid hierarchy. Except, I guess, running back, where the second guy, behind Demarco Murray, is one of the worst backs in the league.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

This is as good of place as any, as opposed to starting a new thread or bringing up the mid season threads about comparing Gailey's offenses to Marrone's.

Very hard not to read in between the lines what Spiller just said. And just in case people want to attribute it to free agent talking up his contract value, how about quotes from the offensive captain & elder statesman?

“He (Gailey) puts guys in different places to make plays,” Jackson said. “He was creative. That was one of the reasons C.J. and I thrived in that system. He knew how to create ways for us to get in space.

"It took a while for him to figure guys out," Jackson said. "Once he did, he was the guy that you could go to. His door was open. He was a guy that guys loved to play for. He'll be a good fit in New York."

The more I read, the more infuriating the 2014 season looks in retrospect.

This is as good of place as any, as opposed to starting a new thread or bringing up the mid season threads about comparing Gailey's offenses to Marrone's.

Very hard not to read in between the lines what Spiller just said. And just in case people want to attribute it to free agent talking up his contract value, how about quotes from the offensive captain & elder statesman?

The more I read, the more infuriating the 2014 season looks in retrospect.

Yep. I think if Chan was the coach in 2014 with this defense we win 1-2 more games and in the playoffs. Chan is a good offensive mind, especially getting the most out of what he has to work with. Marrone was the opposite. Trying to do what he thinks is best without regard to what he has to work with.

Yep. I think if Chan was the coach in 2014 with this defense we win 1-2 more games and in the playoffs. Chan is a good offensive mind, especially getting the most out of what he has to work with. Marrone was the opposite. Trying to do what he thinks is best without regard to what he has to work with.

I assume you mean HC and not OC...cause as OC he would have had same restrictions as Nate

I assume you mean HC and not OC...cause as OC he would have had same restrictions as Nate

That's an interesting question. I imagine that Gailey would have had bigger cojones to stand up to an overbearing coach - kind of what he did in KC. Of course it cost him a job, but in the end, he was right.

If Chan was HC, we would've never had this defense.

Thanks a lot for this. Several of us were screaming the entire year at Marrone for his ridiculous formations and groupings and not spreading the field so the playmakers can get on it, and, you know, make plays.

no. when you have CJ Spiller, freddy, sammy watkins, wood, and williams, with an athletic qb the OBVIOUS move is get KO, lee smith, chandler, hogan, dixon and frank summers is the way to jump start things.

and yes, thats an actual personnel grouping.

If Chan was HC, we would've never had this defense.

You don't know that at all. Pettine was likely the best and most obvious choice for DC at the time. Schwartz was an absolute no brainer. Chan could have easily made those decisions in that situation.

Besides, I was just talking about a hypothetical where if he was there and had our players to work with, he would have done a much better job.

It was just a hypothetical if he was in charge of the offense, but you're right. Although Marrone never would have hired him.

Chan was garbage... I cant believe how quick people forget.

You don't know that at all. Pettine was likely the best and most obvious choice for DC at the time. Schwartz was an absolute no brainer. Chan could have easily made those decisions in that situation.

Besides, I was just talking about a hypothetical where if he was there and had our players to work with, he would have done a much better job.

It was just a hypothetical if he was in charge of the offense, but you're right. Although Marrone never would have hired him.

I know that with 2 opportunities to hire quality DC's, he hired two of the worst in franchise history.