Jerry Hughes to Buffalo Bills: No hometown discount

Joaquin1119

I don't think he's going to find a lot of high payers, every team knows who his teammates are, 2 all pros and a third you could call a 2nd team all pro, I think highly of Hughes, I'd offer him a 6 year 42 million dollar deal with 21 guaranteed, with the promise that if he gets a better deal he returns to buffalo to give us a matching chance.

I am hope that Marone goes to Atlanta who might be the most desprite to sign him.

Good point about ATL being desperate for a guy like that and Marrone interviewing there. Haha.

SD really needs one too but don't normally hand out big contracts with their new FO. Ones to watch would be GB and Cleveland, and NYJ.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone come out and say they would offer up a discount to stay with their current team? It makes no sense to do so,

exactly, the whole thing was stupid the minute they asked the question.

Demaryius Thomas said he would take one in Denver... But that's a very different situation. He's been there a long time, on a perennial winner and playing with a HOF QB.

exactly, the whole thing was stupid the minute they asked the question.

Demaryius Thomas said he would take one in Denver... But that's a very different situation. He's been there a long time, on a perennial winner and playing with a HOF QB.

If there was ever a "playing with a HOF qb" equivalent for d line, we atleast have that

Offer him the going rate 8+ mil loaded upfront. Guaranteed Money is what a player wants. There is no home town discount on a completely average team that still needs to finish games. But not really the D fault. Who the hell gives a discount? restructure yes. Discount no.

Also sign Jarius Wynn, awesome guy till he got hurt. or is he a D-line prospective starter? Assuming they resign him too

The Bills should have tried to extend his contract at the start of the season or work a trade. He could walk away a FA like Levitre and Byrd .

they have been trying to extend him since April. Why trade him in October? They were still in the playoff hunt until the second to last game. The trade deadline came before they knew they were out of the playoffs. Wins>draft picks Edited by YoloinOhio

they have been trying to extend him since April. Why trade him in October? They were still in the playoff hunt until the second to last game. The trade deadline came before they knew they were out of the playoffs. Wins>draft picks

My hindsight is 20/20, I'am afraid he goes to the highest bidder now.

Why would anyone come out and say they would offer up a discount to stay with their current team? It makes no sense to do so,

^ This^

Who in their right mind would come out and tell you they would give you a discount?

Even if he is willing to do so, why come out and say it, he's gotta get what he deserves, if it is close, maybe he stays where he is, and knows how good they are on D.

My thoughts are, as long as they are in the "ballpark" and don't lowball him, he would stay where he knows, of course any coaching changes especially to defense might be a factor.

Jerry Hughes was so little thought of his first few years he was traded for Kelvin Shepherd. Hughes better thing twice that the Bills turned him into a semi star and he might be better off staying put.

His career may end better if he stays put but the contract that he will receive may be better elsewhere. I think that he will be looking at something similar to the 5 year & $57.5M contract of Tamba Hali (or whatever it was). Edited by Kirby Jackson

Jerry Hughes was so little thought of his first few years he was traded for Kelvin Shepherd. Hughes better thing twice that the Bills turned him into a semi star and he might be better off staying put.

This is my perspective as well, although he has improved quite a bit since he signed IMO. Can't really pay him what his numbers suggest he might be worth because it would probably be too much invested in the DL and his numbers are definitely inflated from playing with the other DL. Whether it works out for him if he leaves remains to be seen.

His career may end better if he stays put but the contract that he will receive may be better elsewhere. I think that he will be looking at something similar to the 5 year & $57.5M contract of Tamba Hali (or whatever it was).

He`s dreaming. He`s not even close to his level. Let him dream.

If this front office ends up swapping Hughes for Greg hardy I will worship them. Hardy is a beast that makes everyone around him better, Hughes benefits from the play of others IMO

Greg "Da Kraken" Hardy Highlights 2012-2013:

Is there any basis to this besides wishful thinking?

Hughes would be wiser to take say 10-15% less from the Bills, play with great stud players, put up good numbers and collect the whole contract.

Better than a huge back-loaded contract from another team, under-achieve as he is with duds, and get cut in 2 years before he sees the big $$$ other than the signing bonus

Is there any basis to this besides wishful thinking?

He is a lunatic

He`s dreaming. He`s not even close to his level. Let him dream.

Everson Griffen signed a 5 year $42.5M contract coming off of a 5.5 sack season. Pass rushers (much like QBs) are at a premium and will get paid as such. Hughes will get $50M no doubt, the question is will it be the Bills or someone like Atlanta? Edited by Kirby Jackson