Bills GM wants next coach to revive EJ Manuel

Well, I guess we'll see who is "stupid" and who is right.

That's the great thing about sports: it's the ultimate "show me" world.

Either EJ can play or he can't. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be great, because then I'll say "Yup, I was wrong about EJ" and we will all be excited for the playoffs.

I think there are too many people who would rather be right.

Manuel is in the top 1% of his profession. He is 24 years old and in one of the most pressured filled jobs in the world. Why do people think you should master that right away is crazy.

Manuel is entering his 3rd season. Jim Kelly was in his 3rd professional season when he was a NFL "rookie." But hey, you gotta be the first guy to label a player a bust I guess.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on record as not being an EJ fan. He lacks a couple of things that I think that are hard to overcome (slow eyes and accuracy). With that being said should the GM be bad mouthing the guy to potential HC candidates?!? Of course not and the right guy may be able to bring him along. The Bills certainly aren't going to put all of their eggs in that basket but at this point he is their best option. It is January and we are trying to recruit a HC. Whaley is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing when it comes to this situation.

I think there are too many people who would rather be right.

Manuel is in the top 1% of his profession. He is 24 years old and in one of the most pressured filled jobs in the world. Why do people think you should master that right away is crazy.

Manuel is entering his 3rd season. Jim Kelly was in his 3rd professional season when he was a NFL "rookie." But hey, you gotta be the first guy to label a player a bust I guess.

I'd rather be wrong about him and enjoying a playoff run.

Ultimately this is just a message board so who cares if I turned out to be wrong in my analysis of EJ Manuel? The stakes literally could not be lower.

As far as EJ... my heart wants him to develop and be the guy. He's everything you want in terms of work ethic, integrity, humility... But can he play football at the NFL level?

I guess my posts seema lot more negative toward EJ than I really feel. I just don't want a repeat of last summer, where the options are EJ or Jeff Tuel.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Either EJ can play or he can't. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be great, because then I'll say "Yup, I was wrong about EJ" and we will all be excited for the playoffs.

EJ has some skills. I think his biggest obstacale is leadership. Hes gotta prove it to the guys in the locker room. Hes gotta take the Buffalo by the horns, because this offense is screaming for a leader.

Hes got God given talent, and the mentality for it, whether that will ever translate onto the field, i dont know. I do know Marrone wasnt doing him any good.

I'm on record as not being an EJ fan. He lacks a couple of things that I think that are hard to overcome (slow eyes and accuracy). With that being said should the GM be bad mouthing the guy to potential HC candidates?!? Of course not and the right guy may be able to bring him along. The Bills certainly aren't going to put all of their eggs in that basket but at this point he is their best option. It is January and we are trying to recruit a HC. Whaley is doing EXACTLY what he should be doing when it comes to this situation.

Hopefully you will be as right on EJ as you were on Hogan/ Rogers.

Jk man, you're a great poster. :)

Well, I guess we'll see who is "stupid" and who is right.

That's the great thing about sports: it's the ultimate "show me" world.

The difference is that so many want to be "right" in labeling EJ a bust and that, to me, is stupid. Those of us who are saying that EJ has not had enough time to prove one way or the other whether he is a bust or not will not be wrong if he ultimately proves not to be a quality NFL starter.

im hoping that what we read as slow eyes and accuracy issues can be cleaned up a bit with some confidence (in the reads, in the scheme, in his teammates, in the pocket, in that he wont be benched immediately)

The difference is that so many want to be "right" in labeling EJ a bust and that, to me, is stupid. Those of us who are saying that EJ has not had enough time to prove one way or the other whether he is a bust or not will not be wrong if he ultimately proves not to be a quality NFL starter.

Well sure it's easy to say "maybe he will be good let's see." That's not really any opinion at all.

I'm just going out on a limb and making a prediction that he won't be.

If I'm wrong I'm totally fine with it. This is an anonymous message board. I work as a sous chef somewhere in the Adirondacks, so what I think about EJ Manuel (aside from debating on here) really doesn't matter.

What I want is to see the Bills win. If that means Doug Marrone comes back and EJ is his QB fine. If it means they sign Alex Tanney as QB and hire Hackett as the HC and it works, fine.

I'm just sharing my very strong opinion on EJ Manuel but he can win me over. I'm open to it.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Well said. Odds are he will be a bust because quarterback is one of the hardest jobs in the world to master. 95% of Qbs fail to become stars. Why some people expect it after 14 games is beyond me.

EJ has some skills. I think his biggest obstacale is leadership. Hes gotta prove it to the guys in the locker room. Hes gotta take the Buffalo by the horns, because this offense is screaming for a leader.

Hes got God given talent, and the mentality for it, whether that will ever translate onto the field, i dont know. I do know Marrone wasnt doing him any good.

That's part of what bugs me about how EJ was handled. Getting benched (especially when they team had lots of other problems at the same time) completely submarined his leadership position. I wish the team had stuck with him, backed and supported him the way the Dolphins have with Tannehill.

That's part of what bugs me about how EJ was handled. Getting benched (especially when they team had lots of other problems at the same time) completely submarined his leadership position. I wish the team had stuck with him, backed and supported him the way the Dolphins have with Tannehill.

Yup. The media and fans wanted RT benched after the Bills game. They stuck with him and he played about as well as I expected him to ever play.

But at least, we got to develop Kyle Orton. :)

Tannehill was more NFL ready, and he still couldn't get a winning record.

Cannot blame Marrone for pulling EJ to try salvaging a playoff caliber team. But can certainly blame him for continuing to run a craptastic offense with a vet at the helm and not utilizing all his weapons.

The way the Cowboys supported Romo, Kapernick has had tons of support. The list could go on.

Good coaches dont do what Marrone did. I truely despise Marrone for that.

That said, EJ needs to man up, like now

Edited by mastershake

Tannehill was more NFL ready, and he still couldn't get a winning record.

tannehill played WR until his final 2 years of college. more nfl ready but what standard? they are both considered projects that had the physical tools but hadnt put it all together to the level youd hope.

Hopefully you will be as right on EJ as you were on Hogan/ Rogers.

Jk man, you're a great poster. :)

I hope that I am wrong on EJ!! In fairness to him he is REALLY easy to cheer for. The guy has been a pro since he got to Buffalo.

I am not ready to carve out that bust for Hogan just yet. He was 99th in catches and 107th in yards. He is still a middle of the road #4 pass catching option (based on 32 teams). With that being said if the Bills can land someone like Julius Thomas than I would be thrilled with Watkins, Thomas/Woods, Woods/Thomas, Hogan and then Goodwin as the deep threat. The weapons would be in place, if only there was someone to get them the football :) I don't care who that person is as long as the job gets done.

tannehill played WR until his final 2 years of college. more nfl ready but what standard? they are both considered projects that had the physical tools but hadnt put it all together to the level youd hope.

He was a QB his whole life though. He came there as a QB. They begged him to play WR to help the team, then moved him back to QB.

I hope that I am wrong on EJ!! In fairness to him he is REALLY easy to cheer for. The guy has been a pro since he got to Buffalo.

I am not ready to carve out that bust for Hogan just yet. He was 99th in catches and 107th in yards. He is still a middle of the road #4 pass catching option (based on 32 teams). With that being said if the Bills can land someone like Julius Thomas than I would be thrilled with Watkins, Thomas/Woods, Woods/Thomas, Hogan and then Goodwin as the deep threat. The weapons would be in place, if only there was someone to get them the football :) I don't care who that person is as long as the job gets done.

Da'Rick 2.0 is Dorial Green-Beckham. Though I doubt he goes undrafted (unless he fails his combine drug test)

We could have our own Beckham!