How long has Marrone been plainning on leaving?

Probably a gradual move from "I want out, but I'm stuck with this contract" (the preseason "just fire me" episode) to "hey, the sale of the team may give me an out" (the triumphant Pegulagasm) to "hey, I've got a better opportunity out there after all" (the collapse of Rex Ryan's Jets, which was competed at the Detroit snow bowl).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That fight him and Russ got into in the beginning of the year. He yelled "Just go ahead and fire me!" or something along those lines. Has he been planning to leave since draft day, or am I looking too far into it?

You're not looking too far into it.

Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone's self-centered theme begin loooonnnng ago. There may not be an "I" in TEAM, but he certainly sees the "ME", "ME, "ME in there.

It was soooooo wrong that EJ didn't play the last game. I believe Marrone knew then he was leaving then. We are better off without Marrone, POS as far as I'm concern.

It was right in front of us when he played Orton (who he didn't want) instead of EJ (who he didn't want) because it gave HIM the best chance to win in that last no impact game against NE. Then he could say the Bills were 9-7 and HE beat The Patriots. Smart jerk.

^^^This. At the beginning of the Pats game, I was sure that he would play EJ for a significant portion of the game to see how improved (if at all) EJ was in game situations. As time wore on, I wondered that EJ must be really bad if he isn't even played in this meaningless game. Now that his plan seems apparent, it seems clear that Marrone threw EJ under the bus for his own benefit. How much did he retard this kid's professional development in favor of his own selfish ends? We may never know.

Edited by DerekJ

If he didnt like Buffalo media critisism, wonder how he feels about all the attention hes getting now?

I REALLY REALLY hope he gets the Jets job, and they get DESTROYED in Buffalo next year, and the players carry Schwartz off the field right in front of Douggie.

^^^This. At the beginning of the Pats game, I was sure that he would play EJ for a significant portion of the game to see how improved (if at all) EJ was in game situations. As time wore on, I wondered that EJ must be really bad if he isn't even played in this meaningless game. Now that his plan seems apparent, it's seems clear that Marrone threw EJ under the bus for his own benefit. How much did he retard this kid's professional development in favor of his own selfish ends? We may never know.

Well said.

Have to wonder what would have happened to Montana, Aikman, Brady, etc. if they had to experience the misfortune of playing for a self-centered legend in his own mind? Lucky for them, they were actually coached by brilliant men who put the TEAM first. Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone strikes me as a vindictive sort (hope EJ didn't dare challenge his inept game plan if one could call it a plan...predictable 3 & outs don't sound like much of a plan, or at least a winning one).

^^^This. At the beginning of the Pats game, I was sure that he would play EJ for a significant portion of the game to see how improved (if at all) EJ was in game situations. As time wore on, I wondered that EJ must be really bad if he isn't even played in this meaningless game. Now that his plan seems apparent, it's seems clear that Marrone threw EJ under the bus for his own benefit. How much did he retard this kid's professional development in favor of his own selfish ends? We may never know.

EJ playing would've changed virtually nothing.

What makes the most sense to me is that he didn't get the control/commitment from the owner that he wanted and when that happened he chose to leave. Basically I think he was stuck in a war with Whaley and the rest of FO and scouting. I believe he thought that he had won that war and when Pegs, to Doug's surprise, refused to limit his own options, he got his nose out of joint and walked. 4 million free dollars made it easier to do.

He probably had it in mind to neutralize or do an end around the FO and gain more control as early as last year before the 2014 draft. His former assistant at Cuse (Casullo) says he charts his course well in advance and I believe that.

Basically it's Doug's way or the highway and this time that played out with him hitting the road.

EJ playing would've changed virtually nothing.

I'm not saying that it would have (assuming you mean EJ not being benched). We likely would still be in the same position for this year. However, what we would have is a better gauge on whether or not we have a serviceable, if not competent, QB in EJ. Right now, we have a mystery at number one on the depth chart.

Well said.

Have to wonder what would have happened to Montana, Aikman, Brady, etc. if they had to experience the misfortune of playing for a self-centered legend in his own mind? Lucky for them, they were actually coached by brilliant men who put the TEAM first. Doug "abandon ship with a mere text" Marrone strikes me as a vindictive sort (hope EJ didn't dare challenge his inept game plan if one could call it a plan...predictable 3 & outs don't sound like much of a plan, or at least a winning one).

Exactly.

Edited by DerekJ

I'm not saying that it would have (assuming you mean EJ not being benched). We likely would still be in the same position for this year. However, what we would have is a better gauge on whether or not we have a serviceable, if not competent, QB in EJ. Right now, we have a mystery at number one on the depth chart.

No. We wouldn't.

One game, with 1/2 against backups is gonna be a better gauge on a QB? Even if EJ completes 100% of his passes, 4 TD's and a perfect passer rating, we'd still have mysteries. However, even more likely, he'd play "just okay" or badly. Both of which indicate, again, nothing. But if he played poorly, his confidence would've been shot even more than it already is. We saw what happened with Trent when he lost his confidence. No thank you.

Spin this into a "Marrone was out for himself" argument. You'll never convince me that this game would be good for anyone if we lost. Or would be good if EJ went out there and sucked. He's not getting cut. He's gonna compete next year. Nothing is changing that.

No. We wouldn't.

One game, with 1/2 against backups is gonna be a better gauge on a QB? Even if EJ completes 100% of his passes, 4 TD's and a perfect passer rating, we'd still have mysteries. However, even more likely, he'd play "just okay" or badly. Both of which indicate, again, nothing. But if he played poorly, his confidence would've been shot even more than it already is. We saw what happened with Trent when he lost his confidence. No thank you.

Spin this into a "Marrone was out for himself" argument. You'll never convince me that this game would be good for anyone if we lost. Or would be good if EJ went out there and sucked. He's not getting cut. He's gonna compete next year. Nothing is changing that.

I was referring to the whole season.

Edited by DerekJ

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

You seem to be wavering between two topics.

1. EJ should've never been benched, and he was so Marrone could throw him under the bus.

No. Orton was better, and EJ had lost his confidence and the locker room.

2. EJ should've played in the NE game.

No, for reasons iterated above.

Neither of your assertions make sense.