What if Pegulas are geniuses, got rid of him, saved $4m

My friend brought up a good point, and then I looked up articles on Marrone's contract. Mort reports it was 4 years and 16m.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills

What if the Pegulas knew about all this stuff over the last few months by talking to people at OBD, and got Marrone to opt out, so they didn't have to fire him. Thereby making Brandon and Overdorf's contract clause genius, too, because the Pegulas wanted to fire Marrone, and they would have had to pay him $8m?

Terry's no billionaire for nothin'. :lol:

Just food for thought. It would explain some things we don't know the answers to.

I've been contemplating this posability for a while too. It certainly would be the most desirable scenario for Bills fans......unless of course Marrone actually is a very good HC(which we will find out soon enough). It is far nicer to think that Pegs and Whaley had their respective fingers on the pulse rather than being caught out having their fingers up their arses.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this last Thursday....that the Pegulas saw this coming.....they knew about the clause, and used it to their advantage. They knew the team is better off without that arrogant bum, so they set him up to quit. Saved a ton of money. Now that the truth is out about Marrone, they look like geniuses.

(in case you don't believe this, look up my post from last week, it's there)

Since they put all this money down to buy the team, you must know that they knew what was going on. An idiot could see that the problem was the offense. The defense was excellent, but the way Marrone ran the offense was offensive. He had to go. And he walked right into their fastball when he asked for extensions and raises for everybody.

The team is in good hands. They may have tried for Polian, but are probably better off without him. He's 72, and isn't too far from being too old for this kind of job.

I posted this last Thursday....that the Pegulas saw this coming.....they knew about the clause, and used it to their advantage. They knew the team is better off without that arrogant bum, so they set him up to quit. Saved a ton of money. Now that the truth is out about Marrone, they look like geniuses.

Since they put all this money down to buy the team, you must know that they knew what was going on. An idiot could see that the problem was the offense. The defense was excellent, but the way Marrone ran the offense was offensive. He had to go. And he walked right into their fastball when he asked for extensions and raises for everybody.

The team is in good hands. They may have tried for Polian, but are probably better off without him. He's 72, and isn't too far from being too old for this kind of job.

I believe you. I don't really believe this is what happened myself, I was just putting it out there. Who knows what happened.

Don't know how long this will last, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Marrone

Douglas Moron (born July 25, 1964) was an awful American football coach and former player.[1] Quit on the bills, packed his bags and scrammed. Had a temper, and anger management issues, self conscious and selfish. Helped draft E.J (bad) Manuel. [3]

He previously was the head football coach at Syracuse University from 2009 to 2012 and the Buffalo Bills head coach from 2013-2014 but shouldn't have been, compiling a career college football record of 25–25 and an NFL record of 15–17. Before that he served as offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints from 2006 to 2008.
Edited by Kelly the Dog

Not so poor, i pay him.

Dude, I heard he's opting out. Is it because you're a genius?

I don't know if this is true. But it does make sense.

Clearly, the Pegulas didn't think the world of Marrone. If they had thought he was a winner, they could have met his demands. Instead they made the considered decision to let him walk. But maybe, as you say, they may have actually pushed him out the door.

And based on everything I've read since his departure - not to mention his sub .500 HC record - I thank them for it.

I don't see that as being clear at all.

If you like a guy but you still think he's asking too much, you might not meet his demands even though you like him.

Well of course. They are not going to get away with not paying someone to coach. The point is they may have found out he was a louse, and didn't want to pay a louse $8m, and the least they could pay is $4m. Plus if they found out he was a louse, other teams presumably could, too, and maybe he wouldnt be getting another HC job this year.

I don't actually believe this happened if I had to bet, but there is a lot we don't know, and it's possible.

<< CodeMonkey comments below ... bug in forum in the quote process made it this way >>

I also do not believe this is how it happened. Based on the available evidence this is my best guess:

1) Marrone looked around the league and saw no "Chip Kelly" level coach available.

2) Marrone realized that getting the Bills over .500 for the first time in a decade probably improved his stock quite a bit (and based on interviews so far, it looks like it did).

3) Marrone realized that with the current offense, no Orton next season, and no 1st in the draft that the team was likely to regress next season.

4) So net result, Marrone played hardball and went for the extension with a pay hike and more control. Pegula called his bluff, but Marrone wasn't bluffing and figured he would strike now while the iron is hot. The $4 mil he gets from the Bills even if he gets hired for next season made that choice a lot easier I imagine.

This is plausible to me and makes more sense than Pegula, who has not even hired a consultant yet, trying to pull off some kind of weird reverse psychology play on Marrone to get him to opt out.

But like you, I was not a fly on the wall at OBD when this was going on either :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

If this head coach came in and asked for a raise for him and his offensive coaching staff, I would have asked him to explain the Oakland loss. How could a team only get 13 yards in 13 carries against the #27 run defense in the league? How could you possibly justify an extension and a raise when your team could not win a game against a 2-12 team? A game you had to have to stay playoff eligible? How did you manage to lose that game?

And then wait for the reply, which probably would include throwing Whaley's line to the wolves for being outplayed. I might have said, "Let's see what you do next year." And then he walked out. Quit on everybody.

Pure speculation. No good coach would allow a team to fold in that Oakland game. He had to go.

I also do not believe this is how it happened. Based on the available evidence this is my best guess:

1) Marrone looked around the league and saw no "Chip Kelly" level coach available.

2) Marrone realized that getting the Bills over .500 for the first time in a decade probably improved his stock quite a bit (and based on interviews so far, it looks like it did).

3) Marrone realized that with the current offense, no Orton next season, and no 1st in the draft that the team was likely to regress next season.

4) So net result, Marrone played hardball and went for the extension with a pay hike and more control. Pegula called his bluff, but Marrone wasn't bluffing and figured he would strike now while the iron is hot.

This is plausible to me and makes more sense that Pegula, who has not even hired a consultant yet, trying to pull off some kind of weird reverse psychology play on Marrone to get him to opt out.

But like you, I was not a fly on the wall at OBD when this was going on either :)

We don't know. If I had to bet, I think Marrone actually believes in himself as a great coach and thought that he could get an extension out of the Pegulas based on the 9-7 record and beating the Patriots.

Simultaneously, I think that Jimmy Sexton probably knew he wasn't a great coach but did firmly believe that he could get Marrone another job with the Jets or Falcons, and desperately wanted Marrone to leave the Bills because instead of one year left on the Bills when he may get fired, he will get the 4m opt clause and a new four year 16m contract with the next team.

That's a huge win for Sexton and Marrone money wise. Neither of them believed the fallout of how he handled it and the ensuing Mehta and Cassullo assault would snowball like this.

At this juncture, both the Jets and Marrone may be nervously looking over their shoulders behind them for pending tampering charges. How ironic if his hasty get out of town via mere text ends up to be a waste of time.

People keep saying this but I keep coming back to, how in the world would anyone prove there was what the NFL considers tampering going on?

Seems pretty impossible unless someone confesses. And I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

That's priceless!! Unfortunately, it has been changed already.

This part is still in there though.

Buffalo Bills[edit]

On January 6, 2013, he was chosen to succeed Chan Gailey as head coach of the Buffalo Bills.[10] His overall record as head coach of the Bills was 15-17.[11]

In 2014, the Buffalo Bills finished with a record of 9-7, second place in the AFC East and two wins away from making the playoffs. This was the Bills first winning season in 10 years (The last time was in 2004, when the Bills finished 9-7 under Mike Mularkey). At the end of the 2014 season it was revealed that Marrone had a three-day out clause in his contract, in which he could resign and still collect his full 2015 salary.[12] Marrone exercised the out clause and walked out on his team December 31, 2014.[13] After Marrone quit, several players expressed their displeasure and disgust with both the decision and the way that he informed the team; captain and longest-tenured player on the team, running back Fred Jackson, said it was "like getting punched in the stomach."

People keep saying this but I keep coming back to, how in the world would anyone prove there was what the NFL considers tampering going on?

Seems pretty impossible unless someone confesses. And I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

Phone records?

If Pegula wasn't interested in retaining the HC he inherited with the team, then Marrone did TP a favor by opting out. Give him more control and money? Thanks but no thanks. Now ownership doesn't have to answer questions and get second-guessed about why they fired a coach that went 9-7. He simply issued a thanks for the job and good luck statement. And now as more and more information becomes public a picture of Marrone as a total jerk is being painted. And as each day passes the possiblity that Doug might be left without a chair when the coaching search music stops becomes more likely. Well played Mr. Pegula..

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

It's also very likely they were far from sold on Marrone but knew it would be a PR disaster if they fired the first coach to post a winning record in a decade. This way they get to hand pick their guy and Doug looks like the bad guy.

huh? the Pegulas had nothing to do with the contract!!

Marone walked out of Syracuse as well.. coincidence or pattern?

Oh, I think it's a pattern. Sorry, I'm at work and just scanning all this.

I thought you were inferring something else.

It lasted about 2 minutes.

you didn't see this :

Marrone is best known for failing to convert third down and short yardage situations and instead opting to punt inside opponents territory, citing 'context' in reference to overwhelming evidence of success in those situations.

and this :

He previously was the head football coach at [[syracuse Orange football|Syracuse University]] from 2009 to 2012 and the [[buffalo Bills]] head coach from 2013-2014 before quitting to pursue a career in gay male burlesque dancing. Compiling a coaching career [[college football]] record of 25–25 and an NFL record of 15–17

and this :

December 12, 2008, Accessed December 12, 2008.</ref> He's dealt with an awkward speech impediment his whole life. Causing him to author the book "Coaching is hard, 'S' words are harder."

Marrone was born in the Quittersville, just south of the Bronx

. He really enjoyed shower's with all the players and coaches. He would always be the first player in the shower and the last one out. If he had any talent at all it was in giving butt slaps.

He's basically a quitter who will try to get another head coach job because the Defense that was built by the currant GN carried his fat lazy ass. Good riddance and don't let the door hit you in the ass.

In 2014 Doug Moron reached a 9-7 record. After realizing this is the best he can achieve he decided to ask for more money. After getting laughed out of the stadium he went home and threw a temper tantrum. After a nice nap with his binky he realized how awesome he is, so he quit the Buffalo Bills job. He wants to go coach the Jets so he can suck more and get paid to suck.

Edited by Repulsif