[closed]This !#%* Retread Coaches!

You are right, my bad. Still, the point remains made with just Bellichick and Carrol who both have won Super Bowls after having been fired from previous jobs.

True. And Carroll is a great coach now. It was 1999 when he was fired from the Patriots. He learned a lot in 9 years at USC

I have noticed a trend when I was thinking who I want as our next coach. Obviously this isnt a set-in-stone rule but a lot of coaches that have won superbowls were on their second team when they did it. Belichek, Gruden, Shanahan, Coughlin, Dungy, Vermeil, Carroll (technically his third but his first stint was so short that its almost his second real chance in the NFL).

I just wonder if there is anything to it, if coaches learn a significant amount from one team that they can apply to the next. It makes me feel a little better about someone like Ryan.

I have noticed a trend when I was thinking who I want as our next coach. Obviously this isnt a set-in-stone rule but a lot of coaches that have won superbowls were on their second team when they did it. Belichek, Gruden, Shanahan, Coughlin, Dungy, Vermeil, Carroll (technically his third but his first stint was so short that its almost his second real chance in the NFL).

I just wonder if there is anything to it, if coaches learn a significant amount from one team that they can apply to the next. It makes me feel a little better about someone like Ryan.

Bill Belichick (Browns, 1991-95; Patriots, 2000-)

Jim Caldwell (Colts, 2009-11; Lions ’14-)

Pete Carroll (Jets, 1994; Patriots, ’97-99; Seahawks 2010-)

Tom Coughlin (Jaguars, 1995-2002; Giants, 2004-)

Jeff Fisher (Titans, 1994-2010; Rams, ’12-13)

John Fox (Panthers, 2002-10; Broncos ’11-)

Andy Reid (Eagles, 1999-2012; Chiefs ’13-)

Lovie Smith (Bears, 2004-12; Bucs, ’14-)

Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals 2007-12; Titans, ’14-)

I think that often times they are much better the second time around. The experience factor is obvious. There is a lot to learn in your first time as HC. And often times they don't make the same mistakes they did the first go round.

The problem is picking the right retread. Much more of them fail the second time, too, than do well.

Shame on you. Never let facts get in the way of a good Crusade.

Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning, and Cam Newton may also be related to this post.

What crusade might that be? I am simply saying that a coaching candidate shouldn't be completely discarded just because he had one failed shot in the past.

No debate that Manning be Brady have helped Bellichick and Fox, but I wouldn't say Cam Newton is an elite QB capable of masking poor play or coaching by others...

That's an interesting list. Thanks for doing the homework. Some quarterbacks get better with experience; some don't. Some coaches get better with experience; some don't.

Harvey Johnson only won 1 games as the HC of the Buffalo Bills back in 1968. But he learned important lessons from that experience and perfected the craft of coaching over the next couple years.

So we gave him another chance to be our Head Coach in 1971 and he won another game.

The second-time is not always a charm.

And yet, you jumped on me for incorrectly identifying Ron Rivera as a "retread"? I think you've provided a fine list of coaches who have had considerable success after having been fired.

That's an interesting list. Thanks for doing the homework. Some quarterbacks get better with experience; some don't. Some coaches get better with experience; some don't.

Harvey Johnson only won 1 games as the HC of the Buffalo Bills back in 1968. But he learned important lessons from that experience and perfected the craft of coaching over the next couple years.

So we gave him another chance to be our Head Coach in 1971 and he won another game.

The second-time is not always a charm.

Well played, Captain Obvious! I did not state that every fired coach is better the next time around. I am only suggesting that it would be prudent to not ignore candidates just because they didn't experience success in their first head coaching opportunity.

The 2nd time can be the charm in the NFL for some guys. With this being the case, I wouldnt mind seeing Josh McDaniels in Buffalo. I think he could be successful.

Hey dude. PM me your email or cell number. I will pay you to give me your picks for the games each week next season.

I think that often times they are much better the second time around. The experience factor is obvious. There is a lot to learn in your first time as HC. And often times they don't make the same mistakes they did the first go round.

The problem is picking the right retread. Much more of them fail the second time, too, than do well.

jury is still out on Jeff Fisher's second act. Then again, McNair vs what he's been trotting out there at QB...