Cam Newton and EJ Manuel

1billsfan

Isn't Cam Newton's style of QBing an obvious blue print for possible success for EJ Manuel?

I know that Manuel simply does not have that quick twitch and decision-making that Cam possesses and he's slower and with less speed on his passes. But I think Manuel comes close enough in all those areas to maybe one day become a poor mans version of Newton. When I watch Carolina games I watch Cam and think about the possibilities of a light switch turning on for Manuel and him reaching a level close enough to what Cam does for the Panthers.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Cam Newton's style of QBing an obvious blue print for possible success for EJ Manuel?

I know that Manuel simply does not have that quick twitch and decision-making that Cam possesses and he's slower and with less speed on his passes. But I think Manuel comes close enough in all those areas to maybe one day become a poor mans version of Newton. When I watch Carolina games I watch Cam and think about the possibilities of a light switch turning on for Manuel and him reaching a level close enough to what Cam does for the Panthers.

And that makes all the difference. The end.

I know what you are trying to say or be optimistic about, but the whole EJ/Cam comparison basically derives from both being African American quarterbacks. Thats about where the comparisons end. EJ has does nothing to show he can ever be a poor man's Cam Newton, and the sad part is that Cam has not even shown that he can be an elite QB yet (even with far more physical talent than EJ). So we are unfortunately way off here.

You can't teach accuracy and instincts - 2 areas where EJ is weak.

Yup. Cam is pretty inaccurate too, but can make up for it elsewhere to a certain extent. EJ is inaccurate and can't really make up for it elsewhere.

Edited by bobobonators

Cam Newton is simply not that good. He gets fan fare because he ends up throwing for a billion yards but he is inaccurate, makes poor decisions, cannot get the ball in tight spots, panics and sees ghosts in the backfield and often times makes a bad situation worse. When he is able to pull a rabbit out of his butt and scramble for yards to pick up a first he has often done so neglecting to see that he had at least one option open down field for a larger gain. From Steve Smith being open 15+ yards down field and Newton unable or unwilling to throw it to him to Benjamin only being able to jump so far to try to grab his errant throws; Cam Newton is just barely a top 15 QB in this league at at the bottom end of actual QB ability in the true starter category.

The myth that is Newton is simply that he has thrown for so many yards that you forget what he hasn't done and you forget that he makes far more mistakes then a starting QB should. Wanting anything to do with his style of play to be reflected in our starter is horribly scary.

His fanboys will say that his OL was awful, he had no run support, and he didn't have many weapons down field. That can all be true if you just generalize, but the truth is he played QB horribly this year and fell off his emergence that Dorsey helped him achieve from 2013.

If we want someone to mold Manuels game after it would be Wilson or Tannehill.

EJ has almost as good as any NFL QB when it comes to athletic ability. Yet he's always been one that prefers to be a pocket passer first etc. which is actually a good thing if he is going to ever develop if ask me. I admit I'm not ready to toss him aside yet. What Manuel has to work on might be his leadership/huddle skills and of course throwing the ball more in anticipation that the guy he running to is going to be open. I know many have criticized him for his "check down" mentality but in watching Orton run the offense he did much of the same so it could have been part of our game plan. That said as Whaley said we need to bring in a QB (or two) this offseason. Which to me tells me we'll bring in an UFA and likely draft a guy likely in the mid to late rounds.

Cam Newton is simply not that good. He gets fan fare because he ends up throwing for a billion yards but he is inaccurate, makes poor decisions, cannot get the ball in tight spots, panics and sees ghosts in the backfield and often times makes a bad situation worse. When he is able to pull a rabbit out of his butt and scramble for yards to pick up a first he has often done so neglecting to see that he had at least one option open down field for a larger gain. From Steve Smith being open 15+ yards down field and Newton unable or unwilling to throw it to him to Benjamin only being able to jump so far to try to grab his errant throws; Cam Newton is just barely a top 15 QB in this league at at the bottom end of actual QB ability in the true starter category.

The myth that is Newton is simply that he has thrown for so many yards that you forget what he hasn't done and you forget that he makes far more mistakes then a starting QB should. Wanting anything to do with his style of play to be reflected in our starter is horribly scary.

His fanboys will say that his OL was awful, he had no run support, and he didn't have many weapons down field. That can all be true if you just generalize, but the truth is he played QB horribly this year and fell off his emergence that Dorsey helped him achieve from 2013.

If we want someone to mold Manuels game after it would be Wilson or Tannehill.

If he's so awful how come he's playing today?

Really?

And theres no denying Cam has had a disappointing NFL career to this point, considering where he was drafted and how much hype he had has.

fixed

If he's so awful how come he's playing today?

They won some games, 7 of them. 7 games and tied the Bengals who are like the 4th seed in the AFC. I almost hope they do go to the Super Bowl and get spanked and exposed for how awful they are.

He has lost his team more then a few games this year.

fixed

They won some games, 7 of them. 7 games and tied the Bengals who are like the 4th seed in the AFC. I almost hope they do go to the Super Bowl and get spanked and exposed for how awful they are.

He has lost his team more then a few games this year.

And he's blowing out a 12-4 team.

The guy is in his 4th year with 2 playoff appearances, and OROY award under his belt. Who cares if he's overrated or squeaked into the playoffs?

Edited by FireChan

Really?

And theres no denying Cam has had a disappointing NFL career to this point, considering where he was drafted and how much hype he had.

True but look at the team he's playing on. Don't you think that if we had been able to get an equivalent level of "disappointing" QB play this year we would be playing this weekend too? I do.