Head Coach candidate: Mike Shanahan

HOUSE

Big differ4ence between the two. Bill B was still a new coach and was capable of learning from the early mistakes. For Shanahan this happened after 20 years of coaching. Kind of hard to excuse then.

Sure, Bill Billichick's tunure in Cleveland ended the same way.

Shanahan is a 2 time Superbowl winner, do we really need a better reason to hire him ? :nana:

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shanahan's a good choice,

but i still think EJ's career is savlagable in a system that limits the need to hit receivers coming out of their break - and Shanahan's timed passing game would demand that.

now on the positive side, the man knows how to install the zone blocking running game that i covet for the Bills. so there's that..

and his seasons in DC have shown him and the rest of the league that the read option should only be taken in doses - but he did have it working for awhile - and that's pretty good for an older coach... shows he keeps his head in the game..

if he were willing to teach our strong armed QBand gifted receivers how to exploit defenses by going north and south, and limit the need to throw precision passes, yeah - i'd like that.

the only other concern would be how any HC signing impacts our D and our DC. those guys are close to being elite, and i'd bring in a HS coach with a good head on his shoulders to coordinate our O, before doing anything to upset that side of the ball.

Funny, he is probably shot after his setting the Redskins back for awhile.

he should be the last type Of coach the Bills need.Screw him.

In fairness to Shanahan, he had RG3 foisted upon him by an owner who insisted the GM and Shanny love him before they were ready to give up the world to acquire him in the first place and then to play him before Shanny thought he was ready. Please don't read this as a defense of Shanahan, but he never had a chance with Snyder. DC is where coaches go to die.

GO BILLS!!!

As a rookie, Griffin completed 66 percent of passes, averaged 8.14 yards per attempt, had a QB rating over 100, rushed for 800-plus yards and totaled 27 touchdowns against seven turnovers. How horrible.

Yah what did those completions consist of ? Mainly passes to wide open receivers and simple screen passes that were done out of a read option. That's really hard to do.

What does RGIII look like now that he is trying to be a pocket Qb? How horrible.

If you are looking for someone to come in and fix the OL, Shanahan would probably be the best candidate. I'm a huge admirer of the zone blocking schemes he developed with Alex Gibbs in Denver, they truly were revolutionary. Some might question if our OL has the agility to run that scheme, but I don't see that as a problem because It looks like the line will be revamped anyways, at least the guards.

I'm not sure he could co-exist with Schwarfz, and that would be a deal-breaker (for me at least).

Yah what did those completions consist of ? Mainly passes to wide open receivers and simple screen passes that were done out of a read option. That's really hard to do.

What does RGIII look like now that he is trying to be a pocket Qb? How horrible.

Statistically, RG3 was a historically great rookie quarterback. The fact that he's bad now - whether it's because injuries ruined him or something else - doesn't change that.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-breaks-nfl-young-elite-quarterbacks/

Unlike with Luck, the numbers do a decent job of conveying just how special RG3’s season was. He led the league in yards per pass attempt, averaging 8.1 yards every time he threw the ball. No other rookie in NFL history has ever led the league in yards per pass attempt, arguably the most meaningful simple measure of efficiency and effectiveness for quarterbacks. Griffin threw interceptions on only 1.3 percent of his dropbacks, the best rate in the league and the 14th-best figure in NFL history. He averaged 6.8 yards per rushing attempt, also the best rate in the league, and the 10th-best single-season average in league history. Do you see a trend here? No rookie quarterback in the history of the NFL was more effective on a play-by-play basis than Robert Griffin.

Even beyond the statistics, Griffin meant more to the Washington offense than anybody else in recent memory. Washington had eight touchdowns of 50 yards or more last year, more than any other team in football. So much of that came down to Griffin, both as a ball carrier and as a threat to be a ball carrier. The Redskins didn’t just get guys like Leonard Hankerson and Aldrick Robinson open deep for long touchdowns; they would be open by five yards, jumping around and screaming for the ball because they needed glasses to see the closest defender. It was a dynamic that started with the bomb to Pierre Garcon against the Saints in Week 1 and kept going all season.

It’s hard to imagine Alfred Morris having such an enormous impact on the team without Griffin’s presence, too. While Morris was an effective runner both inside and outside of the zone read, he undoubtedly benefited from the locked-up defensive ends and terrified safeties who lay in Griffin’s wake. One game doesn’t tell us a heck of a lot, but it’s worth noting that he averaged just 3.2 yards per carry on his 27 rushes during the Week 15 game against the Browns, the one game Griffin missed last season. Oh, and remember that stat about how the Colts got more receiving yards out of their rookies than any other team in league history? Washington’s rookies ran for 2,450 yards last season; only one group of rookies since the merger (the 1986 Saints) managed to make it past the 2,000-yard mark. Griffin turned a team that was 20th in rushing DVOA in 2011 into the league’s second-most efficient rushing attack overnight.