Bandit's 2015 Draft Report - OGs

This is my latest post in which I’ll provide my personal review of draft prospects by position. In case you missed the last one, I’ll be targeting the ones I feel are most important for Buffalo, so this one focuses on OGs. I’ve included links to samples of video for each guy…I watched a lot more than just these few clips, but I think it’ll be helpful to watch and see what I mean when I make my comments. Each prospect has notes that are tagged with time stamps so you can review the plays I’m mentioning.

I’ve compiled both my notes and my overall opinion on the player for everyone’s reference. You are encouraged to discuss, agree, disagree, interject; whatever. Because there are a LOT of OG prospects, I narrowed my evaluation to about a dozen guys. This list is limited to the players that I evaluated AND feel are draft-worthy, so if you don’t see a guy’s name on here, it means one of three things: (1) I don’t think he’s worth drafting, (2) there’s no earthly possibility he’ll be there when the Bills pick in round 2, or (3) he’s one of the guys I didn’t evaluate.

All that said, here’s the group, in alphabetical order by last name:

A.J. Cann – South Carolina

Jersey #50
http://draftbreakdow...-missouri-2014/
(time notes are examples from the video above)

- Built low to the ground; plays with good leverage
- Athletic enough to pull; sometimes fails to lock onto his target at the POA when doing so (0:15)
- Is prone to over-extending himself (reaching) when drive-blocking, which allows him to get beat (0:55), (1:54)
- Excellent in pass-protection; knows how to squeeze down the gaps in the OL, keeps his head on a swivel to locate the delayed rush (1:30)
(1:30) – This is how pass protection as a guard is supposed to look—squeeze down the gap, pass off your assignment onto your neighbor, kick-slide your way back to the open gap, and re-engage the pass rusher
- Uses his punch to engage oncoming rusher as opposed to trying to “catch” him (2:05)
- Takes a balanced initial set and uses good kick-slide (1:20)

I like this kid a lot as a pure guard prospect. He strikes me as a plug-and-play LG; a lot like Gabe Jackson from 2014 or Larry Warford from 2013. I’d have no bones about spending a 3rd round pick on him just like those guys, and I may even understand if a team at the bottom of the 2nd round takes a shot at him (say, Seattle, whose OGs are an abomination).

La’el Collins – LSU
* evaluated as a guard, because I feel it’s his best position in the NFL

Jersey #70
http://draftbreakdow...s-florida-2014/

- Athletic for a big man; explodes off the snap (0:00)
- Takes a wide pass set; exposes him to inside moves (1:00), (3:45)
- Locks onto defenders, but doesn’t seem to finish all the time (1:12), (3:20)
- Can get off his initial block and work up to a 2nd level defender (2:45), (4:45)
- (4:00) This right here is why I think he can play guard. He plants his leg inside to prevent an interior push, locks onto his man, presses him off, and creates a huge hole…does basically the same thing on the next play too
- At his best moving toward the center, where he can use his size to collapse the DL

The likelihood is that some team is going to take Collins in the 1st round as an OT, and I think that’s a mistake. He may be okay out there, as he’s a good athlete, but I think—because he seems to work down the LOS better than he does working away from it—he’s a better fit at guard. If he somehow slipped to round 2 I wouldn’t hesitate.

Cameron Erving – Florida State

Jersey #75
http://draftbreakdow...oma-state-2014/

- Versatile; has played both OT and C
- Gets flustered when in space and doesn’t squeeze inside like he should (0:10)
- Plays well in traffic—locates well and drives defender out of the play (0:33), (1:53)
- Doesn’t keep his hands up consistently or punch when engaging (0:57), (1:04)
- Initial pass set gives him good anchorage; holds up well enough to press off rusher (1:24)
- Kick-slide is choppy; footwork needs to become more fluid (2:31)
- Does a very good job staying in his “phone booth”—not lunging, bending, or getting his head too far forward

As an OT, I think he’d be a borderline starter in the NFL. His footwork isn’t great, and he looks like a guy that’s more comfortable in traffic. I think the move to center is really going to help him, as it’ll get him acclimated to playing inside where things happen much quicker. To me, he’s got Pro Bowl potential as an OG. The worst part of his game is that his hands are never up. He’s got to get that fixed, especially if he’s going to play on the interior. I suspect he’ll be a 2nd round pick come April.

Jarvis Harrison – Texas A&M

Jersey #51
http://draftbreakdow...ppi-state-2014/

- Ideal guard build; squatty and low center of gravity
- Keeps balance and punches when engaging pass rusher (0:08)
- Knows how to pass off and re-direct (0:21)
- A bit slow getting out of his stance at times (0:49)
- Good leg-drive when engaged in run blocking (0:58)
- Will turn his shoulders and wall-off defender when fought to a stale mate (1:33)
- Lets defender get hands inside too often; gets turned around (1:48)
- Fun play to watch (2:26): takes balanced initial set, which allows him to shift his weight, use his punch, and rock the DT into the dirt; freakin poetry
- (2:48) Nice inside pull—bucket step, stays balanced, and fits on the LB at the 2nd level
- Needs to get better at squeezing the inside gaps to prevent penetration (2:55)

I have to admit, I didn’t know much about Harrison prior to starting my OG evaluation. I really like the way he plays the guard position. He uses his strength well, and has great instincts for playing inside, which I think cannot be over-stated. He might be my favorite guard in the draft. I don’t know if he’s the best athlete, or the strongest, or if he’s got the most upside, but right now, I think he’s the most complete OG I’ve seen, so I’ll say 2nd-3rd round.

Tre Jackson – Florida State

Jersey #54
http://draftbreakdow...otre-dame-2014/

- Huge body, built to handle interior in the NFL
- Anchors well against bull rush (0:00)
- Tendency to lose track of quicker DTs and get beat off the snap (0:08), (2:00)
- Can re-direct in traffic and catch a delayed rusher (0:39), (3:48)
- Allows defenders to get their hands inside and loses leverage (1:50), (3:00)
- Lunges when not initially engaged and loses balance (2:30), (2:50), (4:10)
- Sets feet nicely in pass protection, but gets his head too far forward, leading to the lunge again (3:06)
- When he does use his punch in pass protection, he holds up just fine (3:20), (3:40)
- Absolutely buries guys when he cut blocks—doesn’t do it often, but it’s a weapon when he does (4:25)

I had to watch Jackson two or three times before I got comfortable with him, because he’s pretty inconsistent. The size and athleticism are there, and when he plays with proper technique, he’s a very good guard. I worry about how quickly he gets beat by the more athletic DTs, as that’s something he’ll face regularly in the NFL. I think he’ll be a 2nd round pick, but that’s over-valuing him…I’d put him closer to round 3 value.

Arie Kouandjio – Alabama

Jersey #77
http://draftbreakdow...io-vs-lsu-2014/

- Seems to reach for blockers with consistency (first 3 plays of the video), (3:55)
- Sets his feet too wide when pass blocking; struggles to maintain balance when shifting weight (0:40)
- Gets stood up at the POA (0:55), (2:30)
- Good recognition in pass protection; knows when to pass off and re-direct (1:18)
- Achieves inside leverage when zone blocking (2:00)
- Powerful drive blocker when he keeps his pad level low (2:40)
- Very good at positioning himself into proper gap to gain leverage (3:43)

Kouandjio generally seems like he’s getting away with being big and powerful right now, using his intelligence to overcome his lack of athleticism and technique. He gets caught reaching way too often, his pad level is generally lousy, and his footwork tends to be ploddish and labored. There’s raw material there to work with, but this is a kid that needs to be coached up. I wouldn’t touch him before the 5th round, unless I’m a team with patience and a great OL coach.

Josue Matias – Florida State

Jersey #70
http://draftbreakdow...otre-dame-2014/

- Mountain of a man—6’6”, 340 lbs
- Pass protects like an OT; sets his feet wide and extends his hands (0:08), (0:40)
- Gets caught bending at the waist and loses leverage (0:18), (3:00)
- Has great initial drive off the ball, but often fails to make contact with his drive (0:25 and 0:30), (2:00)
- Anchors well against bull rush, and when not occupied initially, looks to help out inside first (1:01)
- Once engaged, has trouble passing off his man and picking up secondary rusher (2:10)
- Struggles against inside moves when he doesn’t get help from the center (3:10)
- I love the play at (3:30); nobody rushing into his gap, so he turns and annihilates the rusher trying to get inside the LT

Matias is a brute strength sort of player. He doesn’t use his hands very well, and I think it’ll get him in trouble at the next level. That said, if he can learn to play with leverage and improve his hand technique, he’s got a chance to be very good. I give him a 4th round grade.

Ty Sambrailo – Colorado State

Jersey #51
http://draftbreakdow...n-college-2014/

- Has an OT body, but knows how to locate and keep head on a swivel (0:20)
- Can drive block inside and work up to a defender (0:30)
- Takes the initial squeeze to the inside to limit space for oncoming rushers (1:03)
- Possesses the athleticism to pull, fit, and finish (1:14)
- Wide stance when he pass sets—needs to keep feet under him; gets too upright (1:23)
- (1:59) I like this play: he gets his hands up immediately, presses the DE away, but stays engaged

Colorado State ran a wide open offense, so it’s tough to get a gauge on how great a drive blocker he’d be as a guard. I think he’d need to add some weight, but technique-wise, Sambrailo is in good shape to make the move inside, where his hand technique will benefit him more. On the boundary, I fear he’d be over-matched against speed rushers. He looks to me like a 4th round guy.

Edited by thebandit27

I still think it may be easier to upgrade the 5 guys on OL by upgrading the OC. Call me crazy but if we have to put Wood to RG to upgrade our OL, I'm all for it.

Would it be that crazy to have Henderson-Glenn-rookie OC -Wood-Pears? or Glenn-Wood-Rookie OC-Urbik-Henderson?

I still think it may be easier to upgrade the 5 guys on OL by upgrading the OC. Call me crazy but if we have to put Wood to RG to upgrade our OL, I'm all for it.

Would it be that crazy to have Henderson-Glenn-rookie OC -Wood-Pears? or Glenn-Wood-Rookie OC-Urbik-Henderson?

Crazy? No. I just happen to think Wood is a better center (by a significant margin) than he is a G.

Crazy? No. I just happen to think Wood is a better center (by a significant margin) than he is a G.

of course he is, but if he is a better OG then anything else we can find while able to field a not ****ty OC... I think it's a shot.

Hangartner, for instance was not great, but if he was on the roster I would be urging Wood to OG and Hangartner to OC.

You should add Centers and Tackles to this list. The Bills have so many young guys on the line that they may be looking to add someone who can play multiple positions on the line. They may also look at moving someone on the current line to another position knowing that they can easily move back.

• 3 weeks later...

Giving this thread a bump, as I got a few extra names to look into from a scout buddy:

John Miller – Louisville

Jersey #70

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/john-miller-vs-virginia-2014/

*side note: it’s painfully difficult to watch video of Miller, as Louisville flip-flops their OGs, so sometimes Miller will be at LG, and other times he’ll be at RG. To boot, they use him at RT when they go to an unbalanced line, so have fun keeping up with this one!

- Gets out of his stance quickly and can anchor down in pass protection (0:30)

- Clears out and gets downfield on screen play (0:50)

- Keeps his head on a swivel in pass protection. Looks to help out outside after neutralizing his initial assignment (1:37, 4:55, 5:12)

- Uses punch to stifle pass rushers (2:37, 5:18)

- Gets turned-around when not initially engaged and struggles to climb to a defender (3:28, 4:20)

- Not asked to pull often, but shows enough athleticism to do so (3:54)

- Uses his leg-drive once engaged in run blocking; can drive defenders back (4:00)

- Fun play to watch @ 5:50 (he’s at RG here)…watch as the Mike (LB44) comes on a blitz. Miller manages to not only catch him, reset his feet, and throw him back, but also (and this is a one of those little things that makes a big difference) keeps his position in the gap to limit the space that the RT has to cover.

- Gets stood up at the POA on back-to-back plays (6:00)

- Executes a nice across-the-face exchange with the RT and C in back-to-back plays (7:00)

Miller has the look of a solid-but-unspectacular guard to me. I think he’ll be a starter in the NFL, and maybe even as a rookie. I don’t ever see him making an all-pro team, but rather being a 4th-round type guy that comes in and contributes immediately.

Laken Tomlinson – Duke

Jersey #77

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/laken-tomlinson-vs-miami-2014/

- Keeps hands up and active; fights through plays (0:25)

- Takes a wide pass set and executes nice kick-slide (0:40, 2:00, 5:00)

- Tends to get his head too far forward in run blocking and gets pushed down on his belly (0:35, 0:55, 3:30)

- Very aggressive in pass protection; sometimes gets his shoulders turned prematurely (1:40, 2:30)

- Powerful drive blocker (1:48)

- Comfortable passing off a rusher and picking up another (2:00, 2:50, 3:44)

- Enjoy these two back-to-back plays starting at 3:00—First, he climbs upfield and buries a second-level defender into the turf, then the money play: locks onto the DT and pushes him 5 yards back, clearing the way for a TD run…music

- Re-directs to help out the center when not faced with an oncoming rusher (4:04)

I like Tomlinson a lot. I honestly hadn’t heard much about him until Senior Bowl week, but that’s the purpose of the event: to force folks to go back and do more due diligence on guys for whom they didn’t have a good feel. Anyway, his potential as a drive-blocking guard is really intriguing. He has some issues in chasing plays (getting his head too far forward, turning his shoulders, etc.), but if he can get that cleaned up, I think he can be a very good guard. Probably a Day 2 selection if he continues to impress in his workouts.

I just heard an interview with Whaley. It's dangerous to believe anything pre draft but I think the Bills like their Gs better than most fans do. I believe Whaley thinks a big problem was coaching.

That said, I expect them to draft or sign a couple Gs. Personally, I like smart tough guys. IMO, guard is one of those positions that you can "coach up." It's why I hate spending big money on Gs.

Lets get your Report on ALI Marpet G, Hobart, 6'4", 307 LBS. Playing in the Senior Bowl

On some boards he is the 10th Guard. he is doing well in the senior Bowl.

Bandit,

Have you had a chance to look at Stevens OG from Oregon?

I think he is a senior this year......I know him personally I think he is kinda flying under the radar a bit.

If I get some time today I'll see what I can dig up for these guys...

• 2 months later...

Giving this a bump because A.J. Cann just blew up at his pro day...

30 bench reps (up from 26 at the combine)

32.5" vertical

9'1" broad jump

Just generally looked good. I have him as my #1 guard right now, over La'el Collins, who's 2nd IMO. The next 2 on my list are Tomlinson and Harrison.

Giving this a bump because A.J. Cann just blew up at his pro day...

30 bench reps (up from 26 at the combine)

32.5" vertical

9'1" broad jump

Just generally looked good. I have him as my #1 guard right now, over La'el Collins, who's 2nd IMO. The next 2 on my list are Tomlinson and Harrison.

Get 'er done Douggie.