Pegulas had to see this coming. Saved them the trouble of firing him.

The Pegulas knew about Doug's walkaway clause. They let him walk. This was in their plan. They were prepared for this. You don't plunk down 1.4 bil without knowing what you're buying.

The 4 million that Doug tucked in his cummerbund is a drop in the bucket. It's dead cap money. It's gone. The toothpaste has left the tube. 4 million to the Pegulas is pocket change. It's the cost of doing business. They needed a new coach. A new offense. They didn't need to fight with this offensive genius and his sidekick man-child offensive coordinator. They needed a fresh start.

If they fired him, they'd be out 8 million. They saved 4 million when he walked.

There is a plan in place. He did them and all of us a favor when he jumped the shark.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

I don't think you understand what "jump the shark" means. You probably mean "jumped ship."

Another new thread on Doug Marrone leaving, that has jumped the shark.

The Pegulas knew about Doug's walkaway clause. They let him walk. This was in their plan. They were prepared for this. You don't plunk down 1.4 bil without knowing what you're buying.

The 4 million that Doug tucked in his cummerbund is a drop in the bucket. It's dead cap money. It's gone. The toothpaste has left the tube. 4 million to the Pegulas is pocket change. It's the cost of doing business. They needed a new coach. A new offense. They didn't need to fight with this offensive genius and his sidekick man-child offensive coordinator. They needed a fresh start.

If they fired him, they'd be out 8 million. They saved 4 million when he walked.

There is a plan in place. He did them and all of us a favor when he jumped the shark.

I'm not sure they saw this coming but they certainly allowed it to happen. The Pegulas have tons of money. If they really wanted Doug to coach the team for the next four years, they would have accepted his conditions. But, in fact, that's not what they wanted. Their faith in Saint Marrone was far from absolute. So they let him walk.

There is so much speculation and contradictory reports on the internet right now. It's hard to know what's true. But the one undeniable fact is that Pegs allowed Marrone to leave and that says a lot.

I hope you are right because a blind man could see this coming if he knew those contract details.

Also I notice Mr. P called him an "important part" in his statement. Marrone is just one man and he is replaceable.

Edited by bmur66

Totally agree. Especially after reading the article in the NY Daily News about Marone heading to the jets.

"Marrone was hardly an offensive wizard in Buffalo. The Bills were 19th and 26th in total offense in his two seasons. They finished with a franchise-low rushing yards (for a 16-game season) and were 26th in yards per carry (3.7) in 2014. Marrone has never been a play caller in the NFL. Sean Payton assumed that role when Marrone was the Saints’ offensive coordinator from 2006-08. Nate Hackett, son of former Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett, was dialing up plays in Buffalo. Marrone spent much of his time coaching the offensive line in practice. Marrone has shown no ability to cultivate a quarterback, either. First-round pick EJ Manuel has been a bust. The Bills finished with a winning record on the strength of their defense. Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is reportedly under contract through 2016.".

If Marone winds up coaching the Jets and if he has the thin skin many have said, it will not be a good story....

everybody is running off at the mouth, with yellow journalism, the only two who matter are Marrone and the P's, one side released a statement, the other side has not, so till both sides have issue a statement, gossip will continue to flow from the hacks at the B.E.N and GR,55

Radio

sports reporting of nonsensical bull crap can be covered over with fact less quotes from un-named sources

Of course they knew about the clause in Marrone's contract. Everybody on this board thinks this clause favors Marrone, you are one of very few that realizes this clause has advantages for ownership, Allows all to save face and saves the team 4 million dollars. TP and his people went through all the contracts when they did diligence on the purchase.

Yeah, jump the shark is a Fonzie reference. he went a little overboard, so to speak.

so did Doug.

And he jumped ship.

let me clarify.....

It's not exactly a Fonzie reference so much as it was a way to describe a TV show that had run out of plot ideas, and eventually got absurd. In the case of Happy Days, they had Fonzie water skiiing in a leather jacket, jumping sharks. TV shows that run out of ideas usually add some cute new kid, have marriages or babies or come other contrived idea to keep the show from falling off the Nielsen charts.

Shows like Two and a Half Men have obviously jumped the shark. Seinfeld avoided jumping the shark by never marrying Elaine and having twins with her, which would have been a typical jumping the shark idea to milk another season.

The term "jumping the shark" has transcended the TV show vernacular and now describes anything that is "played" and being milked. This thread has "jumped the shark"! :-)

I think they actually told him he was getting fired and let him walk with dignity. That is why he's so pissed and apparently running his mouth.

No. If they told him he was getting fired, they would have owed him $8M, not $4M. Marrone may be a proud man, but he wouldn't walk away from $4M just to say he wasn't fired.

I think it went more like this: Marrone asked for more control. Pegula said nah. So he asked for extensions for himself and his assistants. Pegula said nah. Marrone said then maybe you should fire me. Pegula said nah. So Marrone walked.

When Marrone realized what he'd done - left an extra $4M on the table - and further realized that no one was really missing him ... that's when he decided to rip the organization and get his pound of flesh.

This will hurt him. Owners have long memories and many connections.

I bet he already has a verbal agreement with Woody and I also bet it was in place before he walked.

Tampering at it's finest. I agree, he's had a standing verbal offer for a while.

Spot on right here. Doug Moron is delusional if he thinks someone is going to hire him.

Someone is going to hire him.