No first round pick? Why not trade Sammy?

I find it fascinating how organizations (and fans) think. A few questions to clarify what I mean:

1. If you're the Vikings, would you trade Bridgewater for Sammy? I think we all agree that the answer is "of course not."

2. Some fans bemoan the trading up to draft Sammy rather than taking a QB with our initial pick, or even trading down to take a QB later. The same fans agree that Sammy had a very good rookie season (particularly given the fact that he didn't exactly have great QB play feeding him), and that his star is on the rise. Yet they never consider trading Sammy for what we need more: a QB, or the chance to draft a QB.

This is what economists call the "endowment effect." You tend to overvalue what you have, and undervalue what you could get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_effect

This is something some great sports GMs like Billy Beane do not run afoul of. Think you need a pitcher to finally make it to a World Series? Go get Lester and Samardzija! That doesn't work? Let Lester go, trade Samardzija, reload with some other players! If you want a QB now your best trade chip is Sammy and it's not even close. So at least consider it ... all you'd be doing is a classic Billy Beane transaction: you traded up to try to get it done in 2014, you came close, but didn't make it. Now you're stuck with no first round pick in 2015? Simply undo that by trading Sammy. No harm done. But it takes guts, which most GMs lack.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or get Matt Schaub or Matt Moore to deliver the ball to your star receiver. Which seems to be where we're headed.

I'm confused. Are you saying trade Watkins for Shaub or Moore? Or just trade Watkins for any pick you can get, even if it's just a 5th?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I find it fascinating how organizations (and fans) think. A few questions to clarify what I mean:

1. If you're the Vikings, would you trade Bridgewater for Sammy? I think we all agree that the answer is "of course not."

2. Some fans bemoan the trading up to draft Sammy rather than taking a QB with our initial pick, or even trading down to take a QB later. The same fans agree that Sammy had a very good rookie season (particularly given the fact that he didn't exactly have great QB play feeding him), and that his star is on the rise. Yet they never consider trading Sammy for what we need more: a QB, or the chance to draft a QB.

This is what economists call the "endowment effect." You tend to overvalue what you have, and undervalue what you could get.

This is something some great sports GMs like Billy Beane do not run afoul of. Think you need a pitcher to finally make it to a World Series? Go get Lester and Samardzija! That doesn't work? Let Lester go, trade Samardzija, reload with some other players! If you want a QB now your best trade chip is Sammy and it's not even close. So at least consider it ... all you'd be doing is a classic Billy Beane transaction: you traded up to try to get it done in 2014, you came close, but didn't make it. Now you're stuck with no first round pick in 2015? Simply undo that by trading Sammy. No harm done. But it takes guts, which most GMs lack.

Who is the guy that you want that Sammy could get you? If you want to trade him go on record as the player that you want him traded for. After that we will all make fun of you for your terrible idea and as time passes your suggestion may be worse than Skelton for Mario. No one wants to know AFTER they have played a year who you wanted. The draft is done with foresight not hindsight. Who is your guy in 2015 because Sammy could net you a 1st for sure.

I'm just saying think outside the box. Philly never got over losing DeSean Jackson. Sammy for Foles + their 1st? Doesn't sound outrageous. + their 2nd instead? Sounds like a good deal for both. Too much for Foles? Again, who else? Chase Daniel is making Kyle Orton money as Alex Smith's backup. Matt Flynn got two huge deals. QBs are always more valuable than people realize. The Foles for a 5th rounder talk strikes me as ridiculous. And no, I'm not just focused on Foles, it's just an example.

The craziest part of it is, people still doubt Beane. Granted, he hasn't won a ring, but he takes the lowest or second lowest payroll in the MLB and parlays it into the playoffs year in, year out.

I just don't think anyone else has that kind of sack. Certainly not in the NFL.

You make an interesting argument for sure.

Edited by SmokinES3

I'm just saying think outside the box. Philly never got over losing DeSean Jackson. Sammy for Foles + their 1st? Doesn't sound outrageous. + their 2nd instead? Sounds like a good deal for both. Too much for Foles? Again, who else? Chase Daniel is making Kyle Orton money as Alex Smith's backup. Matt Flynn got two huge deals. QBs are always more valuable than people realize. The Foles for a 5th rounder talk strikes me as ridiculous. And no, I'm not just focused on Foles, it's just an example.

So you think the Eagles will give up a 1st and a QB for Sammy?

who can you get to play QB with a great trading chip like Sammy?

Your question is wrong. The correct questions are:

1. Can we make the playoffs and be competitive in them over the next 2 seasons with Sammy at WR and Manuel or Matt Moore at QB?

2. Can we make the playoffs and be competitive in them over the next 2 seasons without Sammy at WR but with someone like Foles, or the 3rd best QB in the draft, or even Winston (if he drops) at QB?

I think the answer is clearly "no" to Q.1, and very possibly "yes" to Q.2.