Head Coach Candidate: Gus Malzahn

I don't care who you bring in as GM, CEO, Marketing Director ect. Go get me Gus Malzahn to coach this team. Pay him whatever you have to to come here.

Screw it, just hire the entire Auburn staff. There's no way you can convince me that he couldn't win with EJ as his starting QB.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall calling for these "hot shot" or "innovate" guys going back to the 90s.

Pete Carroll failed miserably his first time and he's a "D" guy anyway.

Spurrier was coveted too.

Nick freaking Saban failed.

Petrino.

Dennis Erickson.

Butch Davis.

Switzer.

Just off the top of my head.

And apparently there's problems in Philly with the GM and coach?

It's just not this simple.

I don't care who you bring in as GM, CEO, Marketing Director ect. Go get me Gus Malzahn to coach this team. Pay him whatever you have to to come here.

Screw it, just hire the entire Auburn staff. There's no way you can convince me that he couldn't win with EJ as his starting QB.

If he keeps Schwartz and the defensive staff in place, I'm all for it.

Get me a head man that understands how to hire good assistants, works well with his GM (I don't mean agree with him on everything, but understands how to work with people), can evaluate talent and what fits the system--and get players to buy into it. And understands you build from the TRENCHES first. This is timeless in the NFL.

I've just about had it with all this crap about innovative and cutting edge.

Get me a head man that understands how to hire good assistants, works well with his GM (I don't mean agree with him on everything, but understands how to work with people), can evaluate talent and what fits the system--and get players to buy into it. And understands you build from the TRENCHES first. This is timeless in the NFL.

+1

the Seahawks won last year and are ready to repeat, and the are as innovative as it gets. they continue to run some read option behind their zone blocking schemes, and this year Carroll added Malzahn's POP (play option pass) to the read option - and it's killer.

Marrone and Hackett were running some of the same things at Syracuse when they rebuilt their O in year 4, and they had great success with it. they just tried to put too many things together at once with the Bills, and then had to cheery pick what could work with what QB. add to that, what seems like a good portion of inexperience in handling in-game adjustments - and you get what we got. glimpses, but too much inconsistency.

i get the idea of having a smash mouth running game with a vertical passing game - but the two aren't mutually exclusive. they are complimetary.

the Seahawks won last year and are ready to repeat, and the are as innovative as it gets. they continue to run some read option behind their zone blocking schemes, and this year Carroll added Malzahn's POP (play option pass) to the read option - and it's killer.

i get the idea of having a smash mouth running game with a vertical passing game - but the two aren't mutually exclusive. they are complimetary.

Yes I get all of that. Which is why I like Bevell. These guys all share their ideas/concepts.

The 2012 Skins ran it very well. But the oline went to heck in a hand basket and RGIII got hurt----which is why I'd hate to have it as the feature of my O bc you have to hope your running QB stays on the field. Which Wilson has. Plus he does not turn the ball over.

No need to go combing through college to do this

Gus is on top of my list as well. I posted this elsewhere but it fits here for those that aren't familiar with Malzahn: http://grantland.com...sive-evolution/

"Rather than chase the latest trends floating around coaching clinics, however, the two have always built their offense around their players, in particular their quarterback. While many consider Malzahn a run-game guru, he has coached pass-happy offenses, run-heavy attacks, and evenly balanced offenses over the last seven years."

​Best and most important paragraph in that article

This isn't meant as a gotcha question because I was and I remain Marrone/Hackett agnostic: were you pulling for him out of Syracuse in 2013?

And I'll pull for whoever they hire.

I think the problem fans had with Marrone goes to back to the crap Brandon and even Marrone fed the fans themselves about innovative this and cutting edge that at Marrone's introductory PC

I don't believe that's why they hired him. I think they liked the 'total package' and the one thing everyone is skipping over from that PC was Brandon saying his ability to rebuild Syracuse from the ashes was very important. Essentially, that he's a leader. Or at least they saw something that said this guy can be a head man in this league. He wasn't hired bc of offense or defense it was bc he could lead. I guess.

I think snake oil salesman Brandons crap about cutting edge was just for the media and the fans....his comments were worthless.

Edited by Big Blitz

"Rather than chase the latest trends floating around coaching clinics, however, the two have always built their offense around their players, in particular their quarterback. While many consider Malzahn a run-game guru, he has coached pass-happy offenses, run-heavy attacks, and evenly balanced offenses over the last seven years."

​Best and most important paragraph in that article

Yep, he's an offensive genius for sure. His formations and motion are amazing. He puts defenses in uncomfortable positions.