Marrone Must Be A Genius

Jkgobills

Before people try to chase him out of town... Let's put a few things in perspective:

He coached the team to a 9-7 record this season despite:

1. The best we could find was a QB who was not on a roster, not in the Bills training camp, and learned the offense on the job to post a 7-5 record as a starter. The Bills would not have had Orton had Marrone not vehemently made his point to the GM that changes were needed in the QB depth chart.

2. The death of the only owner the Bills have ever had, and the transition to a new owner.

3. The loss of a home game, and moving that game to Detroit, due to a snow fall of historic levels.

4. The loss of both top RBs in the same game.

5. The top 3 WRs having very little NFL experience. The best of them, Watkins, playing through several injuries going back to training camp.

6. The RT being a seventh round rookie pick.

7. The OG postions were occupied by players that were not projected to be the starters.

8. The loss of our best rookie from the previous season (Kiko), before this season's games even began.

9. The loss of last year's Def Coordinator to the browns. Marrone may have upgraded the position with Schwartz replacing Pettine.

I don't care what he sounds like in a press conference, I don't care what facial expressions he does or does not make on the side line. I care about organizational competence. The Bills have lacked it for years. Marrone seems to be building it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before people try to chase him out of town... Let's put a few things in perspective:

1. The best we could find was a QB who was not on a roster, not in the Bills training camp, and learned the offense on the job to post a 7-5 record as a starter. The Bills would not have had Orton had Marrone not vehemently made his point to the GM that changes were needed in the QB depth chart.

2. The death of the only owner the Bills have ever had, and the transition to a new owner.

3. The loss of a home game, and moving that game to Detroit, due to a snow fall of historic levels.

4. The loss of both top RBs in the same game.

5. The top 3 WRs having very little NFL experience. The best of them, Watkins, playing through several injuries going back to training camp.

6. The RT being a seventh round rookie pick.

7. The OG postions were occupied by players that were not projected to be the starters.

8. The loss of our best rookie from the previous season (Kiko), before this season's games even began.

9. The loss of last year's Def Coordinator to the browns. Marrone may have upgraded the position with Schwartz replacing Pettine.

I don't care what he sounds like in a press conference, I don't care what facial expressions he does or does not make on the side line. I care about organizational competence. The Bills have lacked it for years. Marrone seems to be building it.

Agreed, Marrone is building something good here. The crying for him to be fired is crazy talk to me. Have some patience while this thing is being totally rebuilt from the ground up.

Agreed, Marrone is building something good here. The crying for him to be fired is crazy talk to me. Have some patience while this thing is being totally rebuilt from the ground up.

it's funny how fan bases are. While I have read on here many times that people want Frank Reich as HC (though he has only 1yr as a OC), Chargers fans say he is a HS level OC and wanted him fired on the plan ride home from KC. They are saying the same things about he and McCoy as everyone says about Marrone (too conservative, punts too much, takes FG instead of going for TD, horrid playcalling, throw it more to your best player). But no talk of him being fired. And he HAS a QB! Edited by YoloinOhio

TThe QB woes were largely of Marrone's own making (and Whaley's).

The O-line woes were largely of Marrone's making-he and Whaley assembled this mess.

Ralph's passing and the Pegula's ownership wasn't exactly a hardship for Marrone.

Losing Kiko had no negative impact.

Losing Pettine had no negative impact.

Losing Spiller had no negative impact.

The OP would like us to pretend that Marrone just appeared in week 1 and inherited this team as is and then gamely did what nhe could to squeeze out a winning, but non-playoff season.

Nope...

it's funny how fan bases are. While I have read on here many times that people want Frank Reich as HC (though he has only 1yr as a OC), Chargers fans say he is a HS level OC and wanted him fired on the plan ride home from KC. They are saying the same things about he and McCoy as everyone says about Marrone (too conservative, punts too much, takes FG instead of going for TD, horrid playcalling, throw it more to your best player). But no talk of him being fired. And he HAS a QB!

Good points. And San Diego has Chas Reinhold at OG. That much alone should have them in the Super Bowl!

U sure? I dont read this board daily, but i thought it was never settled w/r/t which Doug wanted Orton and which Doug didnt.

The arguments on the sidelines, Doug v. Doug, were probably about the QB. But didnt the tension start AFTER Orton was brought in?

I always thought Whaley wanted Orton (its not like Marrone could have gone out and signed him), but Marrone resisted playing him because it would hurt EJ's feelings, since EJ was on his period progress.

Edited by maddenboy

I am so sick and tired of some of the posters and media around this team. The negativism is just out of control. Ive been away for a few days and watched the Bills win today with others. They don't follow the team like most of us do and I was telling them about the stuff on this board with Marrone et al. They were bursting a gut laughing at the idiocracy of wanting a 9-7 coach fired. Patience and tweaking is what is needed not a !@#$ing blow it up and start over.

The O-line woes were largely of Marrone's making-he and Whaley assembled this mess.

Ralph's passing and the Pegula's ownership wasn't exactly a hardship for Marrone.

Losing Kiko had no negative impact.

Losing Pettine had no negative impact.

Losing Spiller had no negative impact.

The OP would like us to pretend that Marrone just appeared in week 1 and inherited this team as is and then gamely did what nhe could to squeeze out a winning, but non-playoff season.

Nope...

Yes...they whiffed on EJ, they did nothing to upgrade behind him in the off season, and Marrone took Whaley to task for it and changed it.

They whiffed on trying to upgrade the OG spots. Who is at fault? Coach, scout, GM? My guess scout, pro personell, and GM are more to blame for missing on players than the coach. The coach has to cook with the ingredients provided. At least he knew enough to demand some new ingredients.

Speaking of Frank Reich, I watched the Chargers/KC game and the San Diego offense was horrible. That is with a "franchise" QB in Rivers. Their running game has been non-existent all year. With that said, the Bills have two of the most explosive offensive players in the NFL and did very little to make them impact players. Spiller wasn't a factor all season and Watkins wasn't worth the two first round picks considering the way he was used. Marrone did have challenges, some of them were significant; however he didn't have the team ready to play every game. If he stays on as head coach there had better be some changes because next season will have most of these challenges as well.

Had one of the top defenses in the NFL for 2 straight years. Failed to make the playoffs. All the things listed are nothing more than excuses (and they won the game in Detroit). I firmly believe that Marrone has reached his ceiling. They will never do any better than they did this year with him as the coach. They could not win when it counted. Who else got a third year? Gailey, Jauron, Williams. Mularkey quit afer two. All mediocre bottom third of the league coaches, same as Marrone.

do you know how difficult it is to do a radio show and not be negative? It takes work, takes preperation, no way will the morning group put the work in. Howie is whiner he thinks it's his calling card - enough of this moron time to move on Howard but who the hell would hire you? Instead we're stuck in a 1 sports radio town so of course the rating are too high with no other choice

Marrone has had little to do with the defense except for naming a defensive coordinator. Any football fan could have told you that Pettine and Schwartz were good defensive coaches.

Marrone is the de facto offensive coordinator and also had a hand in the debacle that was drafting Manuel in the first round. As for the offensive line troubles, Marrone benched an experienced left guard in Urbik in favor of starting a rookie, thus destroying any continuity the line had from last season.

For his role, Marrone led the 29th best offense in the league. Congrats.

The same "mess" that led to superior running games a few years ago? With players primarily remaining the same over the past 3-4 seasons?

There has been a regression in players who had been serviceable at worst, after more personnel additions. That is coaching. If it's not the former OL and OL coach Marrone's fault, Pat Morris should be feeling the heat, at least.

The OC is hard to tell if it is a lack of talent, bad play calling, guys not executing, or all of these. If they fire him I won't be sad.

Lol!

I just tend to think its lack of a good "feel"...I mean you have Spiller a dynamic playmaker and your answer is to try and run him up the middle constantly? Playing conservatively. No offensive flair. No creativity. Gameplans that are too easy for DC's to adjust to and not having any adjustments of your own to counter.

I mean look at what happens. Either we score early and get a lead, then go through long droughts where we let the other team back into it, or we get behind and don't start moving the ball and scoring until we get in the hurry up and start throwing the ball all over the place and its desperation mode.

Edited by matter2003

Good points. And San Diego has Chas Reinhold at OG. That much alone should have them in the Super Bowl!

they have the worst OL in football and it isn't close.

Speaking of Frank Reich, I watched the Chargers/KC game and the San Diego offense was horrible. That is with a "franchise" QB in Rivers. Their running game has been non-existent all year. With that said, the Bills have two of the most explosive offensive players in the NFL and did very little to make them impact players. Spiller wasn't a factor all season and Watkins wasn't worth the two first round picks considering the way he was used. Marrone did have challenges, some of them were significant; however he didn't have the team ready to play every game. If he stays on as head coach there had better be some changes because next season will have most of these challenges as well.

it is basically the Bills offense but with a real QB.