So you want a new coach?

Rockinon

I have seen post after post of coach bashing, concerns about offensive productivity laid at Nathaniel Hackett's feet, needling remarks about the head coach's in game decisions etc, etc...

Usually I prefer to keep an open mind by looking at what the coaches have to work with. It's not always about the coach but today, I think I'd like to join right in with the coach bashing. It's not who you think though. There is one area that I believe has underperformed and I truly think that the coach is simply not getting the job done.

When I think about the head coach, I see a guy with some old school traits that comes from having played the game. He chose to hire an old school coach, a guy who has been coaching since he(Marone) was a player in the league. He is a fundamentals coach that doesn't adjust to changes in this league. He preaches as long as your fundamentals are up to par, you will win your matchup. But what if the man, you are matching up against isn't the one you are supposed to be matching up with? This is the modern NFL. Everyone on both sides of the ball is trying to disguise how they are going to attack and fundamentals are great so long as you realize that you have to be smart enough to attack in the right places.

Who is this coach that I believe has been left behind? He is the coach of arguably the weakest area of our Buffalo Bills offense yet no one ever looks in his direction because Doug Marone is a former OLman. The man I want out of here is offensive line coach Pat Morris. We had two very good linemen in Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn before this year started. Now we have a promising RT in Seantrel Henderson. What bothers me is the Bills have added two other young men in Cyril Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio but neither have been able to start. Are these guys really that bad? Or are they more worried about fundamentals than the ever changing schemes that NFL defenses throw at them? The OL is getting blown up on running plays the very second the ball is handed to a running back. Pass protection has improved throughout the year, but a lot of that is the QB simply knowing he doesn't have a lot of time.

I want an OL coach who understands today's NFL schemes and can coach in this new environment. Pat Morris comes from a bygone era. Those days are gone and this guy needs to go.

Edited by Rockinon

I have seen post after post of coach bashing, concerns about offensive productivity laid at Nathaniel Hackett's feet, needling remarks about the head coach's in game decisions etc, etc...

Usually I prefer to keep an open mind by looking at what the coaches have to work with. It's not always about the coach but today, I think I'd like to join right in with the coach bashing. It's not who you think though. There is one area that I believe has underperformed and I truly think that the coach is simply not getting the job done.

When I think about the head coach, I see a guy with some old school traits that comes from having played the game. He chose to hire an old school coach, a guy who has been coaching since he(Marone) was a player in the league. He is a fundamentals coach that doesn't adjust to changes in this league. He preaches as long as your fundamentals are up to par, you will win your matchup. But what if the man, you are matching up against isn't the one you are supposed to be matching up with? This is the modern NFL. Everyone on both sides of the ball is trying to disguise how they are going to attack and fundamentals are great so long as you realize that you have to be smart enough to attack in the right places.

Who is this coach that I believe has been left behind? He is the coach of arguably the weakest area of our Buffalo Bills offense yet no one ever looks in his direction because Doug Marone is a former OLman. The man I want out of here is offensive line coach Pat Morris. We had two very good linemen in Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn before this year started. Now we have a promising RT in Seantrel Henderson. What bothers me is the Bills have added two other young men in Cyril Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio but neither have been able to start. Are these guys really that bad? Or are they more worried about fundamentals than the every changing schemes that NFL defenses throw at them? The OL is getting blown up on running plays the very second the ball is handed to a running back. Pass protection has improved throughout the year, but a lot of that is the QB simply knowing he doesn't have a lot of time.

I want an OL coach who understands today's NFL schemes and can coach in this new environment. Pat Morris comes from a bygone era. Those days are gone and this guy needs to go.

When your offensive play calls consist of 95% runs up the middle and three yard passes, I would imagine that the defense can just tee off on an O line. I'm not saying this guy is a good coach (he does probably stink), just that defenses have a huge upper hand when playing the Bills because they know what plays are coming. There is no element of surprise. The Bills need to blow up the entire offensive coaching staff including Marrone. I'd pick the Seattle OC to come here and become our Sean Payton who is pretty much both HC/OC.

When your offensive play calls consist of 95% runs up the middle and three yard passes, I would imagine that the defense can just tee off on an O line. I'm not saying this guy is a good coach (he does probably stink), just that defenses have a huge upper hand when playing the Bills because they know what plays are coming. There is no element of surprise. The Bills need to blow up the entire offensive coaching staff including Marrone. I'd pick the Seattle OC to come here and become our Sean Payton who is pretty much both HC/OC.

I think you need to look up your stats. You might be surprised by how far off you really are.

I'll continue to harp on talent. Coaches are there to mold malleable talent. A lot of it fine tuning quality skills. When you have players who lack athleticism, intelligence and raw talent, who exactly do you could them into productive players? By that argument, every single human being can be an NFL player with the right coach. It's just not try. Pears, Urbik, and Williams are backups playing fulltime and you want to have the OL coach strung up because they're immobile, stiff and lack athleticism?

how do you know what the play calls are? You know there are several reads and checkdowns, plus run/pass options the QB can call, correct?

I'll continue to harp on talent. Coaches are there to mold malleable talent. A lot of it fine tuning quality skills. When you have players who lack athleticism, intelligence and raw talent, who exactly do you could them into productive players? By that argument, every single human being can be an NFL player with the right coach. It's just not try. Pears, Urbik, and Williams are backups playing fulltime and you want to have the OL coach strung up because they're immobile, stiff and lack athleticism?

You see these guys play week to week. Sometimes the OL actually does a decent job, then the next week stink it up. If you really want to see why that is look what happens when a lineman actually gets a hat on the right guy. They usually win those match ups. The problem is that they look confused out there, especially when a defense stunts. An OLman is ready to take on his assignment, but his assignment instead backs up and runs around the next OLman, leaving the 1st OLman standing around with his thumb up his ass. That's coaching. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to play on the OL, but you do need to know how to hand off an assignment to the guy next to you.

Who is this coach that I believe has been left behind? He is the coach of arguably the weakest area of our Buffalo Bills offense yet no one ever looks in his direction because Doug Marone is a former OLman. The man I want out of here is offensive line coach Pat Morris. We had two very good linemen in Eric Wood and Cordy Glenn before this year started. Now we have a promising RT in Seantrel Henderson. What bothers me is the Bills have added two other young men in Cyril Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio but neither have been able to start. Are these guys really that bad? Or are they more worried about fundamentals than the ever changing schemes that NFL defenses throw at them? The OL is getting blown up on running plays the very second the ball is handed to a running back. Pass protection has improved throughout the year, but a lot of that is the QB simply knowing he doesn't have a lot of time.

Lots of great points!! I am not saying I don't want Marrone or Hackett fired, BUT, Morris HAS to go!! Well written.

And you won't be wrong. Just look at what happened when Dareus went down last week. Defense was deflated and the Raiders took advantage of it by running right at the guy replacing him.

I believe is easier to mask talent on the offensive side of the ball with someone that's innovative, it can be done, but it shouldn't be a thing that you plan long term, we need to bring more talent, pure and simple. Hopefully one of the two OL we drafted last year can help going forwards.

i haven't seen any aspect of the offense improve under this staff.

1. not the kid QB
  2. not the vet QB
  3. not the young receivers
  4. not the RBs
  5. not the O line

nothing. nada. zilch.

if the offensive system cannot execute at an adequate level with the talent we have, then the front office has to make a decision..

1. bring in enough new 'parts' that will allow the current coaches to improve the production of the 'whole'
  2. bring in new offensive coaches who can make the 'whole' greater than the 'sum of it's parts'.

someone better bang on the door of the 'analytics' office and get their take on where the problem lies before choosing one, or the other.

I want a new QB ans OL parts that can give our coaching schemes a chance to work.

I have the same sentiments. The problem is, landing a good-very good QB is easier said than done. Some OCs can have success without good QBs, but I don't think it's Hackett. I don't think Hackett will succeed without a quality QB.....and I'm not willing to give him 2-3 years with this offensive output, while we try and get a quality QB. I doubt we get one this offseason, but anythings possible

You talk about getting rid of a coach because he's from a "bygone era" but keeping the head coach because he's "old school"?

Speaking of bygone eras, you had a HC and his junior OC coming into Buffalo and bragging about how they would be using a 20+ year old playboook...

uh huh.

And worse, it was clear that they had little idea of the reason behind the K-gun and how to run it.

Its Spiller's fault because he doesn't smash through the middle of the line and pick up 2 yards;

Its the OL's fault when the D has 4 defenders stacked over the guards, and the 3 OL can't block 4 defenders (it took Hackett several games to realize that was happening);

Its the OL coaches fault when the OC decides to attack behind the weakest area of the OL;

Its everyone's fault except the people who design the O.

But ok. If you think getting rid of the OL coach is somehow going to transform the offense, good luck with that.

There will be someone else to blame next year.

Edited by CookieG