Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 17, Bills at Patriots

Dan

Week 17: Buffalo Bills vs New England Patriots

Sunday, December 28, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Spero Dedes, Solomon Wilcots

DirecTV: 713

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan;

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 108 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

The New England Patriots have Super Bowl aspirations every season, and clinching the top seed in the AFC playoffs is simply an expectation fulfilled as they pursue their ultimate goal.

New England (12-3) did its part by surviving with a 17-16 victory at the New York Jets last week, and it wrapped up home-field advantage throughout the conference playoffs when Cincinnati beat Denver on Monday night.

Buffalo (8-7) was eliminated from playoff contention for the 15th straight season with last week's 26-24 loss at Oakland, extending the longest active playoff drought in the NFL.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Harbaugh leads top 10 head-coaching candidates

QB Index: Which QBs will be available in 2015?

NFL.com Preview: Bills at Patriots

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats: Bills Patriots

Total Yds/Game.... 321.9 372.5

Total Rush............. 91.9 107.4

Total Pass............. 230.0 265.1

Points/Game.......... 21.7 30.6

Time of Poss.......... 29.8 29.5

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 315.7 349.2

Rush Yards........... 105.8 104.3

Pass Yards........... 209.9 244.9

Points Allowed........ 18.7 19.7

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 24th; Patriots - 10th

Overall Defense: Bills - 4th; Patriots - 13th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS

Carpenter, Dan K Right Groin LP LP LP Probable

Dareus, Marcell DT Knee DNP DNP DNP Doubtful

Gilmore, Stephon CB Concussion DNP DNP DNP Doubtful

Williams, Aaron S Hip LP LP LP Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

New England Patriots

NAME POSITION INJURY WED. THU. FRI. GAME STATUS

Sebastian Vollmer T Back Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Tom Brady QB Ankle Full Participation in Practice Probable

Jonas Gray RB Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Out

Chandler Jones DE Hip Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Danny Aiken LS Finger Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Shane Vereen RB Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Brandon Browner CB Groin Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Dont'a Hightower LB Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Rob Ninkovich DE Heel Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Alfonzo Dennard CB Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice Out

Brandon LaFell WR Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Kyle Arrington CB Hamstring Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Julian Edelman WR Thigh Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Jamie Collins LB Hip Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Dan Connolly G Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Chris White LB Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

LeGarrette Blount RB Shoulder Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Cameron Fleming T Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Source: NFL.com

Practice Status Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Patriots -3.5

Over/Under: 44

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Thoughts on the Game:

Well here we sit at the the precipice of another off season. Once again, we're not in the playoffs. Once again, we leave the season with nearly as many question marks as we had when we entered. Once again, we have a bitter taste in our mouth as the Patriots move on to be the darlings of the NFL. Once again, we hope... for next year.

So, who really cares about this game? The Players say they do. The Coaches say they do. But, will any of them actually show up and play like they care? Will they play like they should have last week. Did the coaching staff put in overtime, sleeping in their offices figuring our how to beat the Patriots? Do they really care? I guess we'll see soon enough.

I'll be watching because:

1. It's the last time I get to see the Bills play till next August. I hate this time of year for that.

2. Just to see if anyone on this team looks like they give two cents about their jobs. My guess is we'll see the same boring game plan and apathetic offensive effort we've seen all season. Then afterwards, we'll get boring coach speak about executing and watching some tape, just before they all go home and relax knowing they don't have to pretend to work anymore for a while.

3. I want to see if Hackett gets fired.. like right as the team is lining up to punt from the 40 in the 4th quarter as they're down by 3 scores ..fired.

4. It's what I do. I watch the Buffalo Bills. I love my team. I can't help it.

Go Bills.

Love my Bills, but with no Dareus and no Gilmore....it's gonna be ugly I think and all but over by halftime. Even if the Bills are down 35-3 going into the second half, I still don't see EJ playing. This game will tell me a lot about Marrone as an NFL head coach. He sinks or swims with his decisions in this game.

still pissed at them losing last week. one thing to disappoint me, but wife olanned this trip to Boston as XMAS gift for me and son after the. green bay game. Now i am really pissed cause they disappointed her.

Anyway, we just getting moving and be on the train to Gillette in a few. Be nice to win , but we gunna have fun no matter what, even if it kills us.

We be first row upper deck around the 40. Section 312...if anyone else going come buy and i buy ya a beer! Son will have Spiller jersey on, Zubas, Bills knit hat....hard to miss lol

Thanks for the thread! I can't believe it's the last game. The game is not meaningless to me. I want to beat them in NE, and break their 43 game reg season home winning steak vs AFC.

I would imagine that the Orton led Bills starters getting beat by the Garapolo led Pats backups certainly would not be seen as meaningless.

I would imagine that the Orton led Bills starters getting beat by the Garapolo led Pats backups certainly would not be seen as meaningless.

thats what i am imagining. i think Gronk goes less than a qtr, Brady maybe first half or up by 21...whichever comes first.

Thanks for the thread! I can't believe it's the last game. The game is not meaningless to me. I want to beat them in NE, and break their 43 game reg season home winning steak vs AFC.

It feels more like 430 straight games. Ugh...

Their injury report looks like their roster. Everyone has something this time of year so why not throw them all in!

What's Brady's record vs the Bills? Something crazy like 23-2? That's about as depressing as it gets. (Oh for the 70's against the Dolphins is right up there - that's hard to "achieve".) The plight of a Bills fan...

Their injury report looks like their roster. Everyone has something this time of year so why not throw them all in!

What's Brady's record vs the Bills? Something crazy like 23-2? That's about as depressing as it gets. (Oh for the 70's against the Dolphins is right up there - that's hard to "achieve".) The plight of a Bills fan...

yeah I know it's only 2 losses. Lost track of the wins but that sounds right.

good for Fred. Sammy needs 75 for 1000 but sounds like Revis is playing. Oh well.

Bellichick hates losing, but if he plays his starting corners for more than the first quarter I'll be amazed. Let's hope Revis gets torched for 175 if he plays more than that.

Go Bills!

Bills Inactives:

Bryce Brown

Marcell Dareus

Stephon Gilmore

Marquise Goodwin

Chris Gragg

Randell Johnson

Cyrus Koudjou

Pats*

Brandon Browner

Dan Connolly