It would be nice to have a Bobby Chandler

Toledo Bill

That guy had decent speed, was a sensational downfield blocker and had the best set of hands I have ever seen. His routes were run on a dime. What a plus a true "possession receiver" can be. I think Eric Moulds is great (other than his recent "dropsies") and Evans will be a star, but a guy like Chandler doesn't come along too often.

Anybody have a modern day player they would compare to Chandler?

A few names come to mind are these players who have/had speed, but are not known as "burners", but have great hands, and great route running skills.

Brandon Stokley

Wayne Chrebet (maybe not anymore)

Hines Ward

Easy Ed McCaffery

Derrick Mason

I still remember as a kid playing football in the street - every kid used to pretend they were Bobby Chandler practicing their the shoetip sideline (curbline) catches.

That guy had decent speed, was a sensational downfield blocker and had the best set of hands I have ever seen. His routes were run on a dime. What a plus a true "possession receiver" can be. I think Eric Moulds is great (other than his recent "dropsies") and Evans will be a star, but a guy like Chandler doesn't come along too often.

227938[/snapback]

No one compares to one of my favorite Bills of all time. I'll never forget as a wide eyed 7 or 8 year old going to training camp at Niagara. One day my foot was stepped on by a rookie walking back to the clubhouse. I wasn't hurt, but was treated like a king by - Bobby Chandler. He made sure I had all the autographs I wanted by the end of the day. After that he went on to a pretty good career!

I still remember as a kid playing football in the street - every kid used to pretend they were Bobby Chandler practicing their the shoetip sideline (curbline) catches.

227992[/snapback]

This is funny stevewin because we did pretty much the same thing. Can anyone remember the play that Ferguson and Chandler ran when inside the 10 yard line? Joe used to throw the ball "down and away" just beyond the goal line and Chandler used to have to dive for it. No problem for Chandler though. We used to run that play(or at least try to :( ) all the time in our backyard.

227938[/snapback]

Agreed, may he RIP... glad he was able to get a ring with the Raiders,

he sure deserved one.

Reed may still turn out to be a good posession guy. He and Chandlers first 3 seasons aren't that far off.

Do you mean #'s wise or did Chandler have the same troubles with his hands that Reed has been having? I'm not old enough to remember well, but I just have a hard time picturing Chandler ever having trouble catching the ball.

Cya

227992[/snapback]

Yep, the good old out pattern to the curb... jam the toes up, throw should be at least 3 feet OB, stretch out and snag it while falling, and pray there was no dog poop when you landed. Loved that pattern, most of the time.

Was there ever a better (or stickier) quartet of hands in the NFL than Biletnikoff and Chandler for the Raiders?

I remember Chandler made a catch that's gotta be top-5 sickest I've ever seen, right at the back of the endzone, stops with his toes about a pubimeter short of the end line, and while falling forward snags a loop pass with fully outstretched arms about 6 inches before they both hit the ground. That pass would have landed 7 or 8 feet OB, but it was a touchdown. That's Bobby Chandler.

I remember Chandler made a catch that's gotta be top-5 sickest I've ever seen, right at the back of the endzone, stops with his toes about a pubimeter short of the end line, and while falling snags a loop pass with fully outstretched arms about 6 inches before they both hit the ground. That pass would have landed 7 or 8 feet OB, but it was a touchdown. That's Bobby Chandler.

I think that catch used to be part of NBC's intro collage on their NFL Sundays.

Not many guys give up the body like that any more.....

227938[/snapback]

It is a shame he played on Bill's teams that had such poor winning pct's. I always thought he was as good as or better than Bilitnikof (SP?). But back then the Raiders got as much press as any team ever has.

Do you mean #'s wise or did Chandler have the same troubles with his hands that Reed has been having? I'm not old enough to remember well, but I just have a hard time picturing Chandler ever having trouble catching the ball.

Cya

229048[/snapback]

That i don't remember...it's a good point though. There are those scratching their heads now not believing how JR has had such a hard time catching the ball too. Tom Modrack being first in line.

It seems to me that a lot of the Patriots' WRs are in the Chandler mold: guys without breakaway speed, with hands as soft as freshly fallen snow. That's why the Patriots are so good at going on those 15 play, clock-killing drives. I agree with the original post: we could use as WR like that.