Article: Why OL is bigger issue than Hackett/QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OL has not played well, but why is everyone's play deteriorating with Marrone and Hackett in charge? Glenn, Wood, Pears all had the worst seasons of their careers. I wonder how much of the OL struggles result from poor scheme and coaching.

The OL has not played well, but why is everyone's play deteriorating with Marrone and Hackett in charge? Glenn, Wood, Pears all had the worst seasons of their careers. I wonder how much of the OL struggles result from poor scheme and coaching.

pears was playing G after being a career OT at 32 yrs old. Terrible position fit. Glenn and wood were dragged down by the rookie and scrubs around them, as well as one if the most immobile QBs I've seen. Plus Urbik is horrible. They need at least 2 guards in the offseason and hopefully Seantrel improves in his second season. He was ok as a rookie but had some really bad games including Sunday.

Talent > scheme imo

Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree with this. Orton is objectively bad. But the weaknesses of the interior line have severely limited what they are able to do on offense. This is the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW that Whaley and Marrone went into the season with ZERO capable guards. In a normal business, heads would roll for that type of negligence. I'm pissed.

I agree with this. Orton is objectively bad. But the weaknesses of the interior line have severely limited what they are able to do on offense. This is the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW that Whaley and Marrone went into the season with ZERO capable guards. In a normal business, heads would roll for that type of negligence. I'm pissed.

chris Williams didn't have a good rep but he actually wasn't bad when he played (compared to Richardson and urbik) when he went on IR that was horrible. Lots of teams have poor OL talent this year but their QB or RB had the talent to overcome. We definitely didn't have that.

Good article

While I don't want Orton back and hope they can do better at that position in the offseason, the OL should be the major focus.

Who else are we going to put there? What's the price ofof Sanchez or someone else going to be?

chris Williams didn't have a good rep but he actually wasn't bad when he played (compared to Richardson and urbik) when he went on IR that was horrible. Lots of teams have poor OL talent this year but their QB or RB had the talent to overcome. We definitely didn't have that.

Chris Williams was not playing well when he got hurt. Yes he was better than those other clowns but that's not saying much. And to expect a converted tackle with a history of back issues to solve the LG problem is negligence in its own right. Someone needs to be held accountable for these things, Yolo.

This appears to be true, the play of the line as a unit and its individuals has deteriorated. And I'd suggest the Bills made a concerted effort to focus on the offensive line in last year's off-season. They signed Chris Williams (who wasn't rated high on the free agent board) and drafted Kouandjio, Richardson, and Henderson so this need wasn't ignored but rather it wasn't successfully addressed by the front office.

So what should give us any shread of confidence they are going to do it right this off-season? Meanwhile, teams like New England, Green Bay, and San Diego, just seem to find guys they can plug right into the line up and continue to play at a high level.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

This appears to be true, the play of the line as a unit and its individuals has deteriorated. And I'd suggest the Bills made a concerted effort to focus on the offensive line in last year's off-season. They signed Chris Williams (who wasn't rated high on the free agent board) and drafted Kouandjio, Richardson, and Henderson so this need wasn't ignored but rather it wasn't successfully addressed by the front office.

So what should give us any shread of confidence they are going to do it right this off-season? Meanwhile, teams like New England, Green Bay, and San Diego, just seem to find guys they can plug right into the line up and continue to play at a high level.

That's just it. What have these guys done to demonstrate that they deserve another chance to fix this problem? Good businesses don't work that way.

Chris Williams was not playing well when he got hurt. Yes he was better than those other clowns but that's not saying much. And to expect a converted tackle with a history of back issues to solve the LG problem is negligence in its own right. Someone needs to be held accountable for these things, Yolo.

i think Whaley though I don't doubt he tried to address it. Not sure he was given the leeway to sign a better G than CW and the two draft picks didn't contribute this year. So the draft picks are his call.

@RQUINN619: #Bills Must Prioritize OL Over QB in 2015 Offseason (vines&adv stats) http://t.co/GaNgzGvrYH via @TheBillsMafia http://t.co/bVOGmaE7Cd

Good read. A lot of research.

This should have happened two years ago http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/furian63/GIFs/BeatDeadHorse.gif

Most of the entire fan base voiced concerns over letting Levitre walk and not replacing him adequately, and here it is going on three years now. For the love of god why does it take three years?

The same thing happened with LT Jason Peters who was an all pro the FO tried to replace him with a 7th round pick in Bell. Nobody on that line is an elite player, and some should be.

@RQUINN619: #Bills Must Prioritize OL Over QB in 2015 Offseason (vines&adv stats) http://t.co/GaNgzGvrYH via @TheBillsMafia http://t.co/bVOGmaE7Cd

Good read. A lot of research.

And who would do that?

They drafted 3 OLs last year and signed a high profile FA last off season.

How confident are we that they'll hit the jackpot this year?

The real problem from what I recently read is that Marrone wanted real changes to the players on the line, and was denied. He was told by the FO that the current players were good enough. I noticed in the article that it didn't say Whaley, so I gotta wonder if this is Russ Brandon and his stinking analytic dept with a very stupid attempt to "moneyball" the OG position.

Both Pears, and Urbik were barely serviceable as pass blockers, and always stunk at run blocking. In fact the entire line stinks at run blocking. It might have something to do with Buddy Nix and his moronic thinking that bigger is always better.

All I need to do is look at what the Cowboys did to build a top offensive line to realize this FO has been near totally inept in their process of trying to get by with some sub par players.

Huh? How can you say this? They signed Chris Williams- G (free agent) and drafted 3- OL this past off season.

The trend is most young players improve in their second year...let's hope & pray. The bigger question is, is it the student or the teacher, IMO. Marrone and staff has done nothing to show that they have a clue as to how to scheme an NFL offense.

There's a flaw or key in the scheme that's tipping the opposing defense. I've never seen a defense so ready for our screens, misdirections or play actions plays. I think its time to go back to the drawing board Team Marrone & Co.