Revisiting the Lynch trade

dave mcbride

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy is a beast and could have been a career long Buffalo Bill if he wasn't such a problem off the field.

He was only such a problem off the field for an "antiquated" organization and to a certain extent fan base.

Bills fans are hyper-reactive once they decide they don't like you that's all she wrote and they decided they didn't like Lynch

once you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you'r sitting next to them.

I know he was one strike away and all, but this guy may well be one of the dozen greatest RBs of all time when it's all said and done (yes, I'm reacting a bit to his amazing 79 yard td run last night). Obviously, hindsight is 20-20, but we got virtually nothing for him and - with apologies to Fred - he's at least twice as good as any Bill offensive player since Kelly, Thomas, and Wolford. The last guy who came even remotely close was Moulds. And of course Lynch was pretty darn good his first two seasons with the Bills.

http://www.pro-footb.../L/LyncMa00.htm

Watching the Bills pathetic running game this season, I can onlly say grr ...

If they were ever going to cut bait with Lynch the time was after the hit, run and hide incident.

Trading him after going thru all that trouble to keep him was typical Bills inexplicability.

All the talk about him not being able to survive in Buffalo or not wanting to be in Buffalo ignores the fact that opinions like that change fast.

Win a few games and suddenly everything gets better.

There have been so many examples of players adapting to and learning to love playing in Buffalo that it makes little sense why these arguments persist.

But a prime recent example is Aaron Williams. After his terrible rookie year he was at war with fans on social media but he performed better on the field and the fans started loving the guy.

If they were ever going to cut bait with Lynch the time was after the hit, run and hide incident.

Trading him after going thru all that trouble to keep him was typical Bills inexplicability.

All the talk about him not being able to survive in Buffalo or not wanting to be in Buffalo ignores the fact that opinions like that change fast.

Win a few games and suddenly everything gets better.

There have been so many examples of players adapting to and learning to love playing in Buffalo that it makes little sense why these arguments persist.

But a prime recent example is Aaron Williams. After his terrible rookie year he was at war with fans on social media but he performed better on the field and the fans started loving the guy.

Agree on all fronts. However, I have it on very good authority that Marshawn was pulled over by the Buffalo cops about 50 times, and never got one ticket. It seemed they really didn't like him, and he ended up really hating Buffalo, not the Bills. he got pulled over once in the Ralph parking lot on a weekday for playing his stereo too loud. I think it was a case where they really didn't like him getting away with something and they went overboard and made his life miserable and he wanted (had to) get out.

Agree on all fronts. However, I have it on very good authority that Marshawn was pulled over by the Buffalo cops about 50 times, and never got one ticket. It seemed they really didn't like him, and he ended up really hating Buffalo, not the Bills. he got pulled over once in the Ralph parking lot on a weekday for playing his stereo too loud. I think it was a case where they really didn't like him getting away with something and they went overboard and made his life miserable and he wanted (had to) get out.

I was aware of that but that kind of stuff has always been irrelevant to me. You beat yourself as an organization when you let people talk their way out of town. All Lynch needed was some success. Nobody likes the big hat no cattle act and that was Lynch acting like he was above the law....even for matters like disturbing the peace....... when he was running for 3.8 ypc on a crappy Bills team. As an organization you simply can't let yourself become a farm club for the rest of the league by UNNECESSARILY depleting your roster. I know you agree with that take but it's important that fans stop making excuses for the organization. Like.....no way we can pay a guard that kind of money....when they have no real idea of the impact of such a deal.......or the idea that a player isn't a fit in Buffalo......if that stuff mattered there wouldn't be a team in Buffalo because you can count the western NY'ers in the NFL at any given time on one hand. What matters is results.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I feel like a lot of you have short memories with some of these former bills. Not sure if someone's already mentioned it, but during his later time in buffalo, coaches were saying he wasn't hitting the right holes. Now I'm sorry, that's a preporation issue, which is a direct result of lack of effort. He didn't want to be here which is one reason his trade value was so low (outside of a crowded backfield). I honestly think we got what we could and cut ties with a player who wasn't moving in the teams direction.

I was aware of that but that kind of stuff has always been irrelevant to me. You beat yourself as an organization when you let people talk their way out of town. All Lynch needed was some success. Nobody likes the big hat no cattle act and that was Lynch acting like he was above the law....even for matters like disturbing the peace....... when he was running for 3.8 ypc on a crappy Bills team. As an organization you simply can't let yourself become a farm club for the rest of the league by UNNECESSARILY depleting your roster. I know you agree with that take but it's important that fans stop making excuses for the organization. Like.....no way we can pay a guard that kind of money....when they have no real idea of the impact of such a deal.......or the idea that a player isn't a fit in Buffalo......if that stuff mattered there wouldn't be a team in Buffalo because you can count the western NY'ers in the NFL at any given time on one hand. What matters is results.

Yup. I loved lynch on the Bills and didn't think he was totally a bad guy. Players loved him. Fred Jackson is still really close to him and wouldn't be IMO if Lynch was such a bad dude.

Great points.

Edited by dave mcbride

I feel like a lot of you have short memories with some of these former bills. Not sure if someone's already mentioned it, but during his later time in buffalo, coaches were saying he wasn't hitting the right holes. Now I'm sorry, that's a preporation issue, which is a direct result of lack of effort. He didn't want to be here which is one reason his trade value was so low (outside of a crowded backfield). I honestly think we got what we could and cut ties with a player who wasn't moving in the teams direction.

Lynch has never been great at that. He's still a hole creator rather than a hole finder. The question with Lynch was whether he could make the big play. That's why they felt they needed Spiller. As LB and DB corps have become populated by less physical players Lynch has gotten better at making plays at the second and third levels.

lol.

His last year here in 4 games he was averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

1000 yard rusher almost every year. 6 out of 8 times.

Freddy, who I like, 1000 yard rusher JUST ONCE.

Hands down, Lynch is better. Dont let the love for Fredy blind you.