The running game

YoloinOhio

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really kind of laughable how this coaching staff literally destroyed the running attack of this offense. It looks pretty obvious to me that they decided to abandon the running game for the most part, mainly because they don't have the answers for how to fix it. They tried what they know how to try and they failed. We need coaches who are either more experienced or more innovative or both.

thats not true at all. There were plenty of options for our RBs. I saw CJ make the wrong decision at least 3 times today. Going one way when he should have went the other. It's no different than his entire career. He's a terrible decision maker and now his physical abilities are not only dwindling, were finding out that the defenses facing him are just as gifted and talented yet they don't make stupid decisions.

I see that differently. If CJ cuts that run inside of Urbik, he likely runs for at least 10 of not more. Urbik was pushing the defender outside. Yet CJ takes the outside and shouldn't. Run inside that block and the blocks would have been downfield for a big gain.

There is a LB right there that would ave crushed CJ immediately had he cut in. Not to mention that every runner in the league would expect the guard to block a DB.

There is a LB right there that would ave crushed CJ immediately had he cut in. Not to mention that every runner in the league would expect the guard to block a DB.

Suffice to say they both didn't help each other. CJ didn't set the db up and urbik wiffed. I will say that we need a back that will take the inside seam and deliver punishment to get a few more yards. I don't think a back with that talent is on the roster, although I think Fred is the closest we have. That's if we have to endure this offense again next year.

Suffice to say they both didn't help each other. CJ didn't set the db up and urbik wiffed. I will say that we need a back that will take the inside seam and deliver punishment to get a few more yards. I don't think a back with that talent is on the roster, although I think Fred is the closest we have. That's if we have to endure this offense again next year.

While all that may be true, IMO every back in the league on that particular play would assume his OG alone out in front of him would block the DB and the outside would be wide open. The only, only reason CJ should have cut inside is if he knew Urbik would completely whiff. No back would have assumed that.

What have I been preaching ? I know the holes were not great. But Freddy and Spiller are not good backs anymore. Bryce and Boobie need more carries. The 25th ranked run D ,slammed the door in our face.Same old same old,with these two. Time to move on. If it hurts somebodies feelings.Oh well.

What have I been preaching ? I know the holes were not great. But Freddy and Spiller are not good backs anymore. Bryce and Boobie need more carries. The 25th ranked run D ,slammed the door in our face.Same old same old,with these two. Time to move on. If it hurts somebodies feelings.Oh well.

i don't see any way they cut Fred. But his role should be more limited and I'd like to see them move on from Cj if they keep this OC and bring in a Chris Ivory type.

While all that may be true, IMO every back in the league on that particular play would assume his OG alone out in front of him would block the DB and the outside would be wide open. The only, only reason CJ should have cut inside is if he knew Urbik would completely whiff. No back would have assumed that.

The back shouldn't assume anything. If he takes a step or to up the field before bouncing outside I think it helps Urbik get a better angle on the db. The db did a great job of playing outside leverage and I have no idea why Urbik tried to cut him when he has a huge weight advantage. And if Urbik does stay on his feet he would tend to get in the way of CJ getting outside without holding the db. I thought CJ would have tried to run right up Urbik's backside to maximize the gain.

Shouldn't people be pissed at woods too? He didn't even touch the lb which would have opened the inside lane a little more. Even if he slows him down a step or two Pears would have had a chance to hook him or god forbid it get down the field a little more and possibly get Woodson who Hogan released too early.

In the end I don't like the offense and I don't like Spiller in it. But you can't have multiple breakdowns on the same play and expect to compete. Are all our players that bad or is the coaching that bad? I'm going with coaching.

The back shouldn't assume anything. If he takes a step or to up the field before bouncing outside I think it helps Urbik get a better angle on the db. The db did a great job of playing outside leverage and I have no idea why Urbik tried to cut him when he has a huge weight advantage. And if Urbik does stay on his feet he would tend to get in the way of CJ getting outside without holding the db. I thought CJ would have tried to run right up Urbik's backside to maximize the gain.

Shouldn't people be pissed at woods too? He didn't even touch the lb which would have opened the inside lane a little more. Even if he slows him down a step or two Pears would have had a chance to hook him or god forbid it get down the field a little more and possibly get Woodson who Hogan released too early.

In the end I don't like the offense and I don't like Spiller in it. But you can't have multiple breakdowns on the same play and expect to compete. Are all our players that bad or is the coaching that bad? I'm going with coaching.

This is what I was thinking too. I wonder if 56 was really Woods' assignment or not. Woods ran right by him as if he had his sights set on some other defender. Whoever was supposed to block 56 is the person who really screwed up on that play. If the DB had to go through Urbik to get to CJ then that DB may not have been able to make the play at all. High five to Watkins for his block.

Bryce Brown has been the worst back on the roster. If they didn't waste a draft pick on him he'd be bagging groceries.

The Bills signed Chris Williams and he's hurt but he's been terrible pretty much his whole career. That move was almost as bad as the Brown trade.

The whole offensive line has been pathetic. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Wood and Glenn but other than that it's been terrible, and Urbik is an improvement over Cyril.

Fred is done as a runner. He is a 3rd down blocker much like Thurman was his final season with the Bills. They should have him take a pay cut or release him. No one would pay him more than veteran minimum.

Let Spiller walk. He is an athlete not a football player.

Dixon, Brown, a draft pick, and a FA are good enough for next year +/- FJ at a lower cost.

Todd Gurley would do wonders for our running game- and he is a great receiver out of the backfield. Problem is, will he make it to our second round pick? He is coming of a major knee injury. And running backs are dropping to second round lately.

Another option I like is Justin Forsett. He is a free agent this year. Not a big back, but he is productive, and also a good receiver out of backfield.

I like CJ. But he is not an every down back. He would be great as a change of pace back for us, and with creative ways to get him the ball in space. But as much as I love Fred and Boobie- we can upgrade a key skill position. The rest of the draft and free agents- lots of new lineman, and a TE and QB

We were second in the league in rushing last year.

what the hell happened? We need to get back to this spot next season