The Big Cat

202 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we extend/sign?

• Dareus
    • Hughes
    • Spikes
    • Spiller
    • A veteran QB
    • A premier OL (like that G from SF, Ilutapi, or whatever)

i agree that spikes brings something other than actual on the field play with his salary which is very beneficial, but i don't think that is worth a huge premium. so i would sign him if it can be done reasonably. however, if we don't resign him, then i think getting a veteran, multi-position, multi-down LB is important in case Brown, Kiko, or Bradham go down. i haven't seen much from Powell or the rookie Johnson to make me confident if one of the 3 starters goes down. and i think rivers may be a salary cut next year.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you structure Hughes contract well, we can overpay him a million or two a year, and then just decide, year by year over the next six, whether he is going to be a valuable cog to a playoff or SB run. Sometimes it's okay to overpay players. Every year, on every good team, there are approximately one third of the players overpaid, one third about right, and one third underpaid.

I voted for all 6 but we can probably get a guard in the draft.

I disagree. We don't need another high drafted rookie Guard. We need an experienced guy who can plug a hole in our bad line from the first day of mini camp. I'm thinking Iupati from San Fran. Pay the man.

Whatever QB we have next year will look better as would our run game (which would help our QB).

I disagree. We don't need another high drafted rookie Guard. We need an experienced guy who can plug a hole in our bad line from the first day of mini camp. I'm thinking Iupati from San Fran. Pay the man.

Whatever QB we have next year will look better as would our run game (which would help our QB).

Sold. Ok then all 6 then.

I voted for Dareus and Hughes only. Short version of my rationale: I'd rather split that third salary slot among a few guys. Long version below.

Spikes and Spiller are both part-time players who can be useful in specific roles. Spiller is better overall, but might be easier to replace - no one seems to want run-stuffing LBs that can't cover. I'd be fine bringing either back, especially Spiller, but I have a feeling that the money they'd want wouldn't be worth their production. Again, especially Spiller on the last one. I can't imagine he'd want to take a pay cut, and he frankly hasn't performed to the level of his rookie contract.

A veteran QB sounds nice, but since this is a FA thread, I didn't consider possible trade targets. I think that makes anyone with any potential promise (Cutler, Eli, RG3, etc.) off-limits. I'd just as soon draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd and have him battle it out with EJ & Orton next year. Not very promising, but I think I'd take it over signing Matt Moore. (And I LIKE Matt Moore.)

A premier OL also sounds nice, but I don't think that's good team-building, for a few reasons. First, you have limited salary cap resources, and to get a premier FA to sign in Buffalo (or anywhere, really), you have to commit a lot of those resources to his position. An O-line is only as strong as its weakest link, and we're not 1 player away from having a great line. Second, despite his struggles this year, I like Glenn a lot, and I'd like to keep him around. But whether he stays or goes, the starting LT is going to want to be the highest-paid member of the line if he's any good, and if he isn't any good, then we're in trouble. Signing a big-money OG serves to increase the price tag for Glenn or whomever our LT is, or make him disgruntled. And third, the bigger the resources, the bigger the risk: if Iupati (or whoever) flops, we've just broken a basket with a lot of eggs in it.

I actually think the Bills had it partially right when they signed Chris Williams this offseason - a guy signed to low-tier starter money can be a very good signing. Unfortunately, they picked a guy who stinks but happened to be drafted in the first round, and they were totally wrong about their ability to coach him up. (Whereas the Derrick Dockery & Langston Walker signings were doomed from the start, even if those players hadn't busted.) I'd like to see several signings at low-end starter money, and hopefully hit on all of them, which is unlikely. Maybe 2 on the O-line, 1 TE, and 1 LB (possibly Spikes if the price is right).

We need two guards and a TE in free agency. Pears and Urbik are bad to horrible on a weekly basis. I would get rid of Orton and bring in a veteran in free agency, and draft someone w potential both to compete w EJ. If EJ continues to suck we should just cut him. On Defense Dareus will be a Bill for life. Searcy is becoming a top notch player. He will be resigned giving us a very nice group at safety w Duke Aaron and Rambo, who can play. He was a stud at Georgia. Great find by Whaley. Hughes would be nice to keep. But he is suspect against the run, and we still have Wynn and Lawson. We could probably also find someone cheaper in free agency, or in the draft. Spiller is a nice luxury who does not have a lot of mileage. But I would not break the bank on any RB. We get the O line upgraded and Bryce Brown will do just fine. I would keep Spikes at a reasonable price as well. He is a winner, and plays w anger and great spirit.

In summary, the O has been awful most of the year. We need upgrades at QB O line and TE. From there we try and keep as much of the D together as financially possible. I would sacrifice Jerry Hughes and Spiller for the offensive pieces we so desperately need.

Dareus

Drew B. - QB (Saints)

Hughes

O-Line

Eli Manning also would be ideal in my mind!

one word, Rambo!

Sam Bradford would be an upgrade over Orton also.

Bradford would be the best-case scenario...there's a 0.0000000000000000000001% chance that Brees is made available.

Phillip Rivers - 2016 free agent. Part of a team that's gone from being a perennial playoff team to a team that's missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 seasons(if they miss out again this season). He's prime for the picking. Sign him to the the new largest QB contract in the league($25 million a year) and we're good to go.

Good Topic but I'd thrown in add a veteran TE as to me that the second most important thing this offseason outside of re-signing Hughes.

We were playing Nickel defense most of the game against Green Bay. Spikes hasn't been as impactful on the field as much I thought he would but it's hard to deny our stats on D with him here. I doubt it break the bank to re-sign him and honestly I want him here for as a security blanket as to me sure Kiko should be better but to me have I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to keeping this D in tact.

I disagree. Spikes has had a big impact when he is on the field.

If he makes just 1 tackle on 3rd and 2 a game he is making a huge impact on the outcome.

Almost every game he has made a play where he Drops the RB in his tracks at or behind the line of scrimmage.

I love Hughes but you stick any Speed Rusher on the other Defensive End with Dareus, Williams and Williams and they will make huge plays.

Out of the two I think Spikes drop dead tackles are more difficult to replace.

Again Hughes is making aha in the run game and pass game and just looks amazing but

1.) Who wouldn't look good on that line, Hell Manny Lawson who is not a speed rusher looked productive last year on that line.

2.) I always feel uncomfortable whenever has a big season in a contract year. To be fair the trade has obviously clouded this situation with Hughes.

I voted Dareus, Truley difficult to find a replacement.

OG - a road grater that can Run Block. Not a Tackle convert.

A veteran QB - Freakin' Charlie Whitehurst looked better than Kitty Kyle - Get somebody else in the building. Plus I bet Hughes and Dareaus would like to see a QB to even consider signing a deal with the Bills. (Plus a vet would be smart to step into this loaded team)

For me this is easy and clear cut.

Dareus - No Brainer...the kid has become what we hoped and he has to be a top priority to resign.

Hughes - Another no brainer to me. This guy is the perfect compliment to Mario and this defensive front 4 is the best in football and we need to keep it together as it keeps getting better.

Veteran QB (assuming the QB is an upgrade over Orton/EJ...if not OL). This team is a competent QB away from being a serious SB threat. We have a defense that can keep the pressure on and keep the scores down, we just need a guy who can move the chains with more consistency, protect the ball, and have better red zone efficiency to capitalize on our chances. A mid tier QB or better would make this a scary team. However, they don't come available to often, so this is easier said than done.

Like I said above, if there isn't an upgrade at QB (young or Vet) then the 3rd choice needs to be OL. I like Spiller and Spikes, but we have talent on this roster that can replace them in Bryce and Preston, especially with Kiko coming back.

Here is my perfect scenario - Maybe not the most likely, but possible:

Resign Hughes and Dareus with both taking a little less to stay here given the immense talent on the defense and some loyalty for the Bills believing in them.

EJ elevates his game from learning from Orton to become a solid starter and better option than Orton or possible available QBs like Cutler, Hoyer, or Bradford.

Spillers market is down and he resigns for a reasonable contract here. Spikes has few suitors and opts to resign here at a reasonable price given our defensive talent and ascending team that can stick it to the Pats three times a year (2 reg season games, and once in the playoffs).

I voted all 6 but doubt there is going to be vet QB of any significance. Do we pick up the next Orton? I don't want Cutler (and never did, I did want Orton in the past, I admit it), can't see that ending well. Eli if he was available SURE! but I am pretty sure that isn't happening. Bradford, IDK, health seems to be an issue........nothing else seems palatable. So I think we can afford all of them, Spikes being the only one I think will get maybe more money than we want to pay. So in a way, say 5 out of 6 with a crappy FA QB brought in for good measure (draft one 3-7th round too).

Dareus, Hughes, veteran QB (assuming it's Sam Bradford after he's released)

I say this because you can still afford tier-2 players like:

O'Brien Schofield to add a critical 3rd pass rusher to the mix

Jermaine Gresham or Lance Kendricks at TE

Clint Boling or Jah Reid at OG

Plus re-sign Hairston to be the swing OT and Da'Norris Searcy and Jarius Wynn to modest contracts to keep the D intact.

There's really a guy named Jah?