The first time you ate really really hot chicken wings.....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who licked a dog turd for an Andre Ware rookie card. I'm not sure if the dog ate something spicy before it took a dump.

The best of that story isn't what he was willing to do, but that his judgement was so bad he did it for an Andre Ware card. :lol:

I had the 'suicidal' wings once at the Pine Lodge - a little place on Millersport and North French. Washed them down with extra-hot Bloody Marys, too. It was an especially stupid thing to do, but I did a lot of stupid things back then.

not wings and not personally, but last year i brought in some scorpion and ghost peppers to work, one of my co-workers took a couple slivers of them, he wound up curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor for about an hour...co-workers had to go get milk and force him to drink it...he claims to love hot things too, must have been a one time bad reaction. it was weird

I think we all know that guy. I had some dude tell me about how he eats the hottest stuff available and laughed at me when I said xyz sauce was hot. I let him sample some insanity sauce. He cried.

I saw something about the science of it but apparently your body associates the hot sensation with a very high vitamin C content food and instinctively craves it.

i used to not get super hot food but it grew on me and now I gotta have it frequently. Wings, Vindaloo, Kung Pao, wasabi...I could eat hot twice a day for sure.

Capsaicin releases endorphins. Eating spicy food gives you a rush and afterward you crave that sensation again.

I saw something about the science of it but apparently your body associates the hot sensation with a very high vitamin C content food and instinctively craves it.

i used to not get super hot food but it grew on me and now I gotta have it frequently. Wings, Vindaloo, Kung Pao, wasabi...I could eat hot twice a day for sure.

I get that for sure. Very hot food is addictive to me. Thai tends to be my most favored but it's hard to beat a good lamb vindaloo. Too bad St Augustine doesn't have a decent Thai or Indian restaurant. (Well we have one restaurant that has an Indian buffet, but that doesn't appeal to me as the heat level has to be quite mild for a buffet,) Fortunately we have a very good Asian market, so I've been making some Thai dishes, but have yet to seriously experiment with Indian cooking.

I think all hot peppers have great flavor. That is why I eat them like carrot sticks. Best thing for a hangover.

I've never tried a raw Naga Jolokia (ghost chili), but sometimes my favorite Thai place in Jacksonville has them and slips a little in my order. (They actually gave me a plant once, but it got aphids while on my patio.) I'm told they are so overpoweringly hot, they have little detectable flavor. But some people say the same things about habaneros and they have great flavor.

I really dig the small thai chilis to nibble on. But I will say I'm not that keen on peppers labeled "chipotle" (which I think are really morita peppers) or jalapenos.

I get that for sure. Very hot food is addictive to me. Thai tends to be my most favored but it's hard to beat a good lamb vindaloo. Too bad St Augustine doesn't have a decent Thai or Indian restaurant. (Well we have one restaurant that has an Indian buffet, but that doesn't appeal to me as the heat level has to be quite mild for a buffet,) Fortunately we have a very good Asian market, so I've been making some Thai dishes, but have yet to seriously experiment with Indian cooking.

I've never tried a raw Naga Jolokia (ghost chili), but sometimes my favorite Thai place in Jacksonville has them and slips a little in my order. (They actually gave me a plant once, but it got aphids while on my patio.) I'm told they are so overpoweringly hot, they have little detectable flavor. But some people say the same things about habaneros and they have great flavor.

I really dig the small thai chilis to nibble on. But I will say I'm not that keen on peppers labeled "chipotle" (which I think are really morita peppers) or jalapenos.

Chipotles are dried and smoked jalapenos. Like ancho chilies are dried and smoked poblano peppers. Chipotles in adobo sauce are amazing for making quick sauces and salsas. Toss them in a pot of chili.

Chipotles are dried and smoked jalapenos. Like ancho chilies are dried and smoked poblano peppers. Chipotles in adobo sauce are amazing for making quick sauces and salsas. Toss them in a pot of chili.

That is if you can pronounce them.

Edited by Chef Jim

That explains why I'm not a big fan, as I find jalapenos kind of lame--pablanos too. Yes, they are OK in chili. I actually like chili (if very hot) but I detest beans and almost all chili sold at restaurants in the USA includes beans.

That explains why I'm not a big fan, as I find jalapenos kind of lame--pablanos too. Yes, they are OK in chili. I actually like chili (if very hot) but I detest beans and almost all chili sold at restaurants in the USA includes beans.

In my mind if it ain't got beans it ain't chili. As a matter of fact the Mexicans out here call the dish Chili Beans

What...that's kinda like saying

That's kinda like saying you can't enjoy a nice cold Corona on a hot day cause you like hoppy IPAs.

I use them in all kind of sauces, even use them on smoked and grilled wings....as well as in the beans I make....and I am telling you you ain't had beans till ya had my beans.

That being said, I am not a heat miser kind of guy... I usually order hot for my wings and am more than happy with the level of heat . The chipotle as much about the smoke as the heat

What...that's kinda like saying

That's kinda like saying you can't enjoy a nice cold Corona on a hot day cause you like hoppy IPAs.

I use them in all kind of sauces, even use them on smoked and grilled wings....as well as in the beans I make....and I am telling you you ain't had beans till ya had my beans.

That being said, I am not a heat miser kind of guy... I usually order hot for my wings and am more than happy with the level of heat . The chipotle as much about the smoke as the heat

Actually, it has to be very hot, and I have to be very thirsty for me to "enjoy" a Corona. One of my least favorite beers.

But regarding the chili talk, I was specifically talking about eating the chili raw (the flavor of the chili by itself), not sure that was made clear, though.

Jesus, man. You should've spoken up @ the tailgates. I can make wings that would leave your eyeballs hanging out.

BTW, thanks for the delicious spuds!

I have a friend who licked a dog turd for an Andre Ware rookie card. I'm not sure if the dog ate something spicy before it took a dump.

Sounds like your friend might have a future in Politics..

One word of advice: if you order the BLAZIN wings at BWW, make sure you,wash your hands BEFORE you take a leak. Happened to my buddy one time when we went, needless to say, we were rolling n the floor with laughter.

Also, Gungy, I know about that Satan's Blood stuff, they sell it at specialty shops. I think it actually says on the label that it is a novelty only and not for consumption...

One word of advice: if you order the BLAZIN wings at BWW, make sure you,wash your hands BEFORE you take a leak. Happened to my buddy one time when we went, needless to say, we were rolling n the floor with laughter.

Also, Gungy, I know about that Satan's Blood stuff, they sell it at specialty shops. I think it actually says on the label that it is a novelty only and not for consumption...

Or touch your eye. I've learned both the hard way.

That's nothing. I was slicing serranos once and had a seed pop off the cutting board and land in my eye. Yikes!!

I recently had the full suicide wing experience when a particularly chewy bite off a wing flung a drop of ghost sauce (at least it was labeled ghost chili, not sure if there were any ghost peppers in the sauce) into my eye. I was blind for about 5 minutes.

I also think that it has to do with Canada sucking at producing any good caliber of wings.

I'm lucky if I can get wings that arent breaded here and lucky if I can find a souce hotter than "Hot"

CBF

You have to make your own wings. Its not that hard. Get a turkey fryer and then a smaller pot with a basket. I prefer canola oil to fry them with. Get franks hot sauce and modify to suit your to your taste.

You have to make your own wings. Its not that hard. Get a turkey fryer and then a smaller pot with a basket. I prefer canola oil to fry them with. Get franks hot sauce and modify to suit your to your taste.

It isn't hard, but I hate having my whole place smell like deep fryer. Deep frying outside is challenging in the winter and I'd probably look funny standing in the parking lot of my complex cooking chicken.

It isn't hard, but I hate having my whole place smell like deep fryer. Deep frying outside is challenging in the winter and I'd probably look funny standing in the parking lot of my complex cooking chicken.

I refuse to fry anything in my house. It's messy and smelly.

If it's nice out, I do my frying on the deck. If it's crappy out, I do my frying in the garage. I don't fry inside the house for the same reasons: messy and smelly.

Ya I know what you mean. I open all my windows before I start and it doesnt make a difference

CBF

I use a turkey fryer burner, and a Wok to make wings at tailgate parties. The Wok uses less oil,and its footprint makes an unhappy oil spillover less likely.

I use a turkey fryer burner, and a Wok to make wings at tailgate parties. The Wok uses less oil,and its footprint makes an unhappy oil spillover less likely.

I watched a bunch of geniuses deep fry a turkey in the parking lot of the Ralph last year before the Jets game. They filled the !@#$ing thing to the top with oil, got it hot, then dumped still frozen bird. Oil was overflowing from the get go, running all over the parking lot, and dripping right into the flame. We were parked about 3 spaces down. I still cannot believe that these dumb !@#$s didn't start a grease fire and engulf a few people and cars. I had our party basically packed up just in case.

I watched a bunch of geniuses deep fry a turkey in the parking lot of the Ralph last year before the Jets game. They filled the !@#$ing thing to the top with oil, got it hot, then dumped still frozen bird. Oil was overflowing from the get go, running all over the parking lot, and dripping right into the flame. We were parked about 3 spaces down. I still cannot believe that these dumb !@#$s didn't start a grease fire and engulf a few people and cars. I had our party basically packed up just in case.

Heh. I remember some years back, there would always be some dumbass who put their STLL HOT grill under the rear of their car before going into the stadium. I've witnessed several fires over the years @ the Ralph. I've cooked lots of turkeys in the deep fryer. ALWAYS completely thawed,and at a considerable distance from the house/vehicles

I'm still not going to do that. There are so many better ways to cook things than frying them. You still have to deal with the greasy utensils and what to do with the old smelly grease.

100% Peanut oil is the way to go for a deep fried bird.

Mmmmmmmmmm!

I've deep fried wings at every home game for the last two years. 'Tater tots too!

I'm not crazy about transporting propane across NYS though.....

My eye was bright red. When people looked at me and asked what the hell happened I told them I jus smoked half a joint.

Holy crap. At least you had a snappy comeback.

I never had that bad a problem in the past. But in the condo I'm in now fried food (especially fish) really stinks the place up. i will only saute now. and finish in the oven, if I wan't something that has a bit of fried mojo. It helps that I really have cut down on the deep fried stuff lately. But on the rare occasion I jones for it, to a restaurant I go.

I love making my own wings, but it really isn't worth the trouble to do it for one person (or even two). There is a bar/restaurant right in the front of our condo complex that makes wings. (They were good at one time, but now they suck--but only because their sauce blows.) So sometimes I order wings (extra crispy) with no sauce---take them home and put my own sauce on. Homemade(ish) wings without the mess.

In SF I used to bring my own sauce to a wing place and have them use it for my order. I brought extra, so the staff could have some if they wished. The first time I think they were a bit insulted, but soon after they looked forward to my visit. I had to bring more and more sauce every time I visited.

I'm still not going to do that. There are so many better ways to cook things than frying them. You still have to deal with the greasy utensils and what to do with the old smelly grease.

So how do you make your chicken wings then?

Holy crap. At least you had a snappy comeback.

I never had that bad a problem in the past. But in the condo I'm in now fried food (especially fish) really stinks the place up. i will only saute now. and finish in the oven, if I wan't something that has a bit of fried mojo. It helps that I really have cut down on the deep fried stuff lately. But on the rare occasion I jones for it, to a restaurant I go.

I love making my own wings, but it really isn't worth the trouble to do it for one person (or even two). There is a bar/restaurant right in the front of our condo complex that makes wings. (They were good at one time, but now they suck--but only because their sauce blows.) So sometimes I order wings (extra crispy) with no sauce---take them home and put my own sauce on. Homemade(ish) wings without the mess.

In SF I used to bring my own sauce to a wing place and have them use it for my order. I brought extra, so the staff could have some if they wished. The first time I think they were a bit insulted, but soon after they looked forward to my visit. I had to bring more and more sauce every time I visited.

Buffalo Wild Wings makes a pretty decent wing. Fortunately the PB Ale House does as well.

I see, I've used a hot air fryer with wings with decent success and not the smelly grease to deal with.

If I'm not going to fry them I won't make them. There was a sports bar by my place in Orange County that had the best wings outside of WNY. However I wait for my annual trip to WNY to get my fix. I won't even bother ordering them out here.

So how do you make your chicken wings then?

Buffalo Wild Wings makes a pretty decent wing. Fortunately the PB Ale House does as well.

If I'm in an area with no real wing joint, then Wild Wings makes an "acceptable" wing for me--only if I get the Blazin. But once I return to Buffalo, or go to a really good wing joint (or make them myself), I realize how mediocre they really are.

If I'm not going to fry them I won't make them. There was a sports bar by my place in Orange County that had the best wings outside of WNY. However I wait for my annual trip to WNY to get my fix. I won't even bother ordering them out here.

On a few occasions I've considered buying this:

http://www.amazon.co...9124524&sr=1-12

I haven't pulled the trigger, for the obvious reasons, but I wonder how good of a job it does, and if it stinks up the place. Since I'm typically only cooking for one, or two, the capacity is probably OK. But I question if using this little bit of oil really does the wings justice.

I think there was another similar "fryer" a a better price, but I couldn't find it quickly. Same concerns as the one above, though.

Edited by The Dean

So if you want wings without frying, in my opinion this is the closest you can get.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe.html

The steaming is the key.

Again, not 100% like frying, but damn near close.

BTW, i fry occasionally in the house..maybe 3 times a year. Always use a splash guard, and i have a pretty damn good hood fan. No issues really

So if you want wings without frying, in my opinion this is the closest you can get.

http://www.foodnetwo...ngs-recipe.html

The steaming is the key.

Again, not 100% like frying, but damn near close.

BTW, i fry occasionally in the house..maybe 3 times a year. Always use a splash guard, and i have a pretty damn good hood fan. No issues really

That seems like a long time to wait for wings. :lol: