Can we hold onto Schwartz for next year?

LA Grant

Yeah, no idea how the "." ended up in there. I never even saw it.

36% is 36%.

Nothing about what I wrote is "lies" whatsoever.

You do realize that taking over an 0-16 team is a supremely monumental task, as no area of the team has any talent. The lone single high quality player on the team was WR Calvin Johnson with QB Dan Orlovsky throwing to him :w00t: The entire rest of the team needed to be revamped. Offense, defense, special teams.

Schwartz drafted Matthew Stafford in 2009 in his first season, so the man did realize he needed that franchise QB to succeed. He then went on to build a playoff team in three years. Those years the Packers, Bears were always in the playoffs.

Like I've said before, so many head coaches do better in their second chance, It took Pete Carroll 3x, Bill Bilchick 2x, Marv levy 2x

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Why would any coordinator not pursue a head coaching opportunity? It's thd pinicle of the profession!!!

2. Why would anyone who can take credit for turning a good d into a great d not want to be in the market while their stock is high?

Unless Schwarz decides he'd rather be a dc than an HC for personal reasons, there is certainly some chance he will get looks and a large chance he would take any reasonable opportunity to HC again.

I would love for him to stay, but there is no way he doesn't get another shot at a HC job next year. After stopping PM and AR, this defense is being noticed big time and Schwartz is a big reason.

He's been great but a lot has to do with the talent of our front four. What I'm so impressed by is how much better we are against the run this year versus last year.

Actually if we HAVE to lose Schwartz, this may be the season to do it. Rex Ryan will certainly be available soon after the final game, and he at least would be a suitable substitute. Don't get me wrong, I don't want Schwartz to go but if he does ..... just sayin'

Agreed. I do not want to see him go, but I certainly believe he will leave if the right situation is available for him to grab onto. It is also possible for Rex to get another chance with one of these teams as well, even though he has failed with the Jets the last 2 seasons or so.

Not sure if Schwartz will get a HC opportunity so soon. It make take a few years to be considered again. I doubt he would jump ship to be a D Coordinator someplace else. He probably has a ton of power here. Bills should just give him a raise and make him an assistant HC or something.

Besides you can't just jump at the first opportunity and take it. Way to many coordinators do this and get screwed.

You do realize that taking over an 0-16 team is a supremely monumental task, as no area of the team has any talent. The lone single high quality player on the team was WR Calvin Johnson with QB Dan Orlovsky throwing to him :w00t: The entire rest of the team needed to be revamped. Offense, defense, special teams.

Schwartz drafted Matthew Stafford in 2009 in his first season, so the man did realize he needed that franchise QB to succeed. He then went on to build a playoff team in three years. Those years the Packers, Bears were always in the playoffs.

Like I've said before, so many head coaches do better in their second chance, It took Pete Carroll 3x, Bill Bilchick 2x, Marv levy 2x

1. My 6th grader knows that you need a franchise QB to succeed in this league.

2. He could not sustain success, getting there and staying there is key. His Lions were known as undisciplined and self destructive and underachieved as a result.

Pete Carroll needed to go back to the College level to succeed. He talks about this frequently

Bill Belichick was actually a victim of the Browns moving to Baltimore and that team was on his way.

Marv was just destined to be the Bills coach :D nuff said

I don't see Schwartz leaving because there are no teams that need his services. Many of the teams struggling this year are stout on defense and cannot put points on the board. Teams like Atlanta, Washington, Carolina, New York Jets, Tennessee and others do not have problems on D. They have problems on offense. They want an offensive minded coach. Pettine, Zimmer and Lovie Smith are good examples of putting a defensive head coach in a poor system and a team without an offensive identity. No one better shows this to be true then Mike Smith.

Washington and Atlanta are horredous on defense. MIke Smith should have been fired last year. Can't believe he kept his job.

Well, look to the 2008 Patriots who lost Tom Brady in the first game of the season for the rest of the year, and that team went 11-5 with a QB who hadn't started a single game since high school.

By that same token in 2010 Jim Schwartz in his second years as HC lost Stafford for the season after three games, and still managed 6-10. A 2-14 season means you don't have a good team in just about every aspect. The last time the Bills were 2-14 was in 84-85.

Right, but the Colts brought a retired Kerry Collins out of retirement. Repeat that sentence and tell me this was not a 100% tank job.

Irsay, brilliantly I might add, put the onus on losing to such an extent Caldwell would not be able to overcome the on the field product. It also put him in a position to get rid of Polian and not face much of a backlash from the fan-base.

2. He could not sustain success, getting there and staying there is key. His Lions were known as undisciplined and self destructive and underachieved as a result.

Pete Carroll needed to go back to the College level to succeed. He talks about this frequently

Bill Belichick was actually a victim of the Browns moving to Baltimore and that team was on his way.

And the main reason I think he won't be a HC next season.

No they need some, ANY, defense. They are not giving their offense a chance. Look at those numbers... the offense is producing, despite what I agree is a poor o-line.

They are 7th in total offense, and 10th in points scored.

They are 32nd in total defense and 26th in points allowed.

How can you not agree that defense is overwhelmingly their biggest issue?

when i look at it i am seeing the falcons rack up stats in garbage time and catching up. they can't score first, they can't take leads, they can't sustain winning margins.

when i look at it i am seeing the falcons rack up stats in garbage time and catching up. they can't score first, they can't take leads, they can't sustain winning margins.

They have lost games every which way, they lead and lose they fall behind and lose. Their defense stops nobody. To put any of it on their offence is misguided in my opinion. If you don't think Atlanta's issue is defense I'd be interested in what teams you do think the defense is the issue. Atlanta's D is horrible and it is putting too much on the offense. The offense has played at a good level though hot a great one... the issue is they stop nothing.

They have lost games every which way, they lead and lose they fall behind and lose. Their defense stops nobody. To put any of it on their offence is misguided in my opinion. If you don't think Atlanta's issue is defense I'd be interested in what teams you do think the defense is the issue. Atlanta's D is horrible and it is putting too much on the offense. The offense has played at a good level though hot a great one... the issue is they stop nothing.

They have problems on D but they have many more problems then just D.

Also I think they'll go with an offensive type before a D type. I don't think they'd quickly retread Schwartz. I think they go young and up and coming with a guy like Quinn in Seattle.

36% is 36%.

Nothing about what I wrote is "lies" whatsoever.

Your nickname alone says you're wrong and McBride is right.

Besides, Turner is not always a good coordinator. That's a lie. ;)

Maybe the better question is if one of them had to go, would you keep Schwartz or Marrone?

I'm torn.

Some first time failures as Head Coaches become much better the second time around, from learning from their mistakes, and/or walking into better situations. Bellicheat is obviously one. Marv, our local favorite is another. Pete Carroll could be included (he had two earlier jobs but only three years and he left with a winning record).

Most, however, don't get better. They weren't good enough.

Schwartz IMO has a decent if not good chance to buck the odds. He's an extremely smart guy, way smarter than I thought he was when he was coach of the Lions. He is a good motivator, too. He has a lot of experience.

If I had to take my chances with Schwartz and a new guy to run the offense of his, Whaley and Pegula's (money) choosing -- OR -- keeping Marrone and Hackett and losing Schwartz to another HC job and having to find another DC, I think I take Schwartz.

Your 6th grader also knows more then any Bills HC since Levy. Its one thing to draft players, and its quite another to find a real franchise QB.

Actually Belichick's team wasn't on the way because he went 5-11 the year after he went 11-5, and that is the reason he was fired.

A lot of teams fail every year, and he was in a very tough division. His QB along with very many players were injured quite a bit all those years. Exactly two players on that 2012 team played a full 16 games, and five played a full 16 in 2013. So, you could easily say his two years of losing after making the playoffs were from being decimated by injuries.

I don't know if Schwartz will become a great NFL HC in his next stint. What I do know is this man is about the very best defensive coordinator this franchise has ever had. If Mike Pettine can get a shot, then no question Schwartz will get one too.

With all of the national attention on the defense and Jim Schwartz in particular, and given the usual carousel of HC vacancies each year, is anyone else concerned that we may be looking at having our 4th Defensive Coordinator in 4 years?

It's absolutely imperative that we resign Hughes in the offseason but I think just as important is giving Schwartz whatever money he wants to keep him around for another year or two at the coordinator level.

Unless the Browns fire Pettine I don't see another scenario like last year. Also even if Schwartz leaves Pepper Johnson will be ready to step up.

1. Why would any coordinator not pursue a head coaching opportunity? It's thd pinicle of the profession!!!

2. Why would anyone who can take credit for turning a good d into a great d not want to be in the market while their stock is high?

Unless Schwarz decides he'd rather be a dc than an HC for personal reasons, there is certainly some chance he will get looks and a large chance he would take any reasonable opportunity to HC again.

1. Because Schwartz has to be extremely picky with what head coaching job he chooses. There is almost no chance he gets a shot at being a head coach again if he goes somewhere and fails.