Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 15, Packers at Bills

Dan

Week 15: Green Bay Packers at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: Fox (TV Map)

Announcers: Justin Kutcher, David Diehl

DirecTV: 710

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 127 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Aaron Rodgers has boosted his MVP credentials while leading Green Bay to five consecutive wins, but the Packers still hold just a slim advantage in the NFC North.

Rodgers will try to keep them in sole possession of first place while delivering the franchise's first road win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday in his first start at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

They've never won in five visits to Buffalo (7-6). Green Bay has beaten every other franchise on the road, and the only other current NFL cities where it hasn't won are Indianapolis (four visits) and Nashville (two).

The Packers lost 24-10 in their latest game at Buffalo in 2006 as Rodgers watched Brett Favre from the sidelines. Rodgers threw for two touchdowns in his only game against the Bills, a 34-7 victory in 2010 in the teams' last meeting.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 15 Cheat Sheet 

Playbook: Packers vs. Bills

NFL.com Preview: Packers at Bills

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills       Packers

Total Yds/Game.... 327.2         387.5

Total Rush.............  96.3          114.3

Total Pass............. 230.9         273.2

Points/Game..........  21.6           32.5

Time of Poss..........  29.8           30.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 311.9         374.4

Rush Yards...........  99.2          129.2

Pass Yards........... 212.8         245.2

Points Allowed........ 18.5           23.4

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 22nd; Packers - 6th

Overall Defense: Bills -  5th; Packers - 26th

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Carpenter, Dan          K          Right Groin     LP          LP          LP          Probable

Charles, Stefan         DT          Quad          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Gragg, Chris         TE          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Hairston, Chris         T          Illness         DNP          -          -          -

Searcy, Da'Norris       S          Hamstring        DNP          LP          DNP          Out

Williams, Mario        DE          Illness         DNP          -          -          -

Williams, Mike        WR          Calf          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Wynn, Jarius         DE          Knee          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Green Bay Packers

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Gaston, Bruce          DT          Illness          -          DNP          LP          Probable

House, Davon          CB          Shoulder          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Lacy, Eddie          RB          Hip          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Lang, T.J.          G          Ankle          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Perry, Nick          LB          Shoulder          FP          LP          LP          Probable

Sitton, Josh          G          Toe          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Source: Packers.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Packers -5

Over/Under: 50.5

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

This week we get what appears to be a carbon copy of last week's game.  Our beloved Bills are on the outside looking in and facing a legitimate Super Bowl contender.  And similar to last week, I expect a frustrating game.   The defense will play sound and keep the game close.  But, in the end, can Orton and our offense hang with Rodgers?  I think even the most optimistic Bills' fan doesn't think that can happen.  Still, stranger things have happened.

So, I'll be watching.  And looking for:

1. Hughes.  I'm hoping he comes out determined to make a case that he should never be benched in a game.  Rodgers is mobile, but if Hughes can get him a couple times, maybe we stand a chance.

2. Watkins.  He appears to be playing hurt. He's not on the injury report and no one is talking about it.  But, I'll be watching to see how he reacts after the play is over.

3. The game plan.  Once again, we face a team that's weak against the run.  Will we finally capitalize on that?  We haven't had a rusher all season gain more than 70yds in a game; that needs to end.

4. The crowd.  It's our last home game of the 2014 season.  The last time we get to see the Ralph rocking.  I hope everyone there has a great time and sees the Bills blow the Pack away with a huge win.

Go Bills!!

I'm interested in seeing if we can take away the home run ball. Our secondary has done a good job of that this year. The thing that worries me most is the mental errors in zone coverage. A couple times in the past few games, Gilmore has passed off his man in zone coverage and the safety has not been in the right position. They have lucked out that the QB's either missed the throw entirely or didn't hit the receiver in stride. They will not be as lucky if those breakdowns happen against Rodgers. Big plays like that can break teams. If they can limit the mental errors and take away the big play, this game will be very close.

Go Bills!

Davon House out for the Packers is a big loss. He had been playing the best out of that group. Sam Shields was benched on MNF and House was the only one who had a chance on Julio.

Is Sammy hurt? He had been on the injury report every week but now has dropped off. I'd assume he is ok as they are required to list him, right?

Watkins doesn't look hurt during "garbage" time at the end of games. It isn't injury that's the problem ... it's getting open and catching the ball when it counts.

Or perhaps getting the ball thrown TO him and not just within 10 yards of him...you know, sort of like an NFL QB would do

Watkins doesn't look hurt during "garbage" time at the end of games. It isn't injury that's the problem ... it's getting open and catching the ball when it counts.

He actually did look hurt at the end of the game last week - were you watching? He was also getting open and catching the ball? #confused

Here's a question: what does everyone think the QB/WR ratio is in terms of doing the heavy lifting to make a completion.

In theory, it's 50:50. The WR has to run a good route, get open...and the QB has to throw a nice pass that the WR can catch.

In actuality, I would suggest it is at least 80:20 QB:WR. Maybe more.

So if you want to evaluate Sammy's numbers, look no further than the QB trying to throw him the ball.

We simply HAVE to win this game! Defensive rankings/shrewd FO moves/talent upgrades won't mean anything if we don't post a WINNING record at home! We'll never be truley respected if every team coming here doesn't fear the environment. 4-4 won't cut it.

We HAVE to win today!

Davon House out for the Packers is a big loss. He had been playing the best out of that group. Sam Shields was benched on MNF and House was the only one who had a chance on Julio.

Is Sammy hurt? He had been on the injury report every week but now has dropped off. I'd assume he is ok as they are required to list him, right?

They are.... but Marrone is pulling out all the stops (as he flashes his pin stripe bowl rings)! So, ya never know.

I hope he's healthy, and probably is. But, I want to see how he reacts as the game wears on. Either way, I think Fred and Boobie are the key to this game more than Watkins or Woods. But what do I know... I'm not an NFL coordinator.

We simply HAVE to win this game! Defensive rankings/shrewd FO moves/talent upgrades won't mean anything if we don't post a WINNING record at home! We'll never be truley respected if every team coming here doesn't fear the environment. 4-4 won't cut it.

We HAVE to win today!

So you're saying this is the most important game this year?

No surprises on Packers’ inactive list vs. Bills

The following players have been declared as inactive for Sunday’s game between the Green Bay Packers and the Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium:

medium.pngGreen Bay Packers

16 Scott Tolzien

31 CB Davon House

54 LB Carl Bradford

72 C Garth Gerhart

80 TE Justin Perillo

83 WR Jeff Janis

99 DT Bruce Gaston

medium.pngBuffalo Bills

25 S Da’Norris Searcy

38 FB Frank Summers

58 LB Randell Johnson