2015 Salary cap

YoloinOhio

who?

I have a feeling he's talking about Mike Williams, and the erroneous report that the Bills are on the hook for his entire contract. That's not correct, as he's got a $1M roster bonus due on the 3rd (?) day of the new league year, and if it isn't paid then his contract voids, which results in zero dead money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2015/

Over The Cap

We are ≈$123mm

edit: I am going to add more to this as I crunch some numbers, but we're going to be about $17-20mm under the cap.

(So happy with OTC. It has come a long way. The creator is a Jets fan. He joined the board a few years ago and would chat us up from time to time when a lot less was known about the site. It is very impressive now!)

=======

edit1:

Cutting Mike Williams will put us around $23-25mm under.

Edited by jboyst62

Here's a breakdown I did in another thread:

Assuming the cap is $140M (it may, in fact, be higher), Buffalo would have about $18M if they do nothing. Here's the breakdown:

http://www.spotrac.c...o-bills/yearly/

Now, they can clear a lot of space with the following moves:

- Cutting Orton saves $3.9M

- Extend Dareus and back-load the contract (figure that will save about $4M)

- Already cut Mike Williams (saves $6.8M)

- Spiller will almost certainly opt out of his contract (saves $2.2M)

- Cutting Chandler saves $1.35M

The above bring the amount of cap space up to about $36M. They can gain even more if they restructure Mario Williams, but I think it makes more sense to wait another year and then sign him to an extension to clear cap room.

The next smart move would be to re-sign Jerry Hughes and front-load his contract, to give him more immediate cash and lessen the financial impact down the road (basically give him a steady base salary and big up-front roster bonuses with small signing bonus).

Don't we also have some carryover capy money from the prior year or is that included? Also, since we do not have a first round draft pick, we should be spending less for signing our draft picks (a relatively small savings).

here is the dead money breakdown:

http://www.spotrac.c...bills/cap/2015/

Alan Branch $1,550,000 T.J. Graham $167,813 Dustin Hopkins $56,000 Damien Jacobs $5,000 Kenny Ladler $5,000 Darrin Kitchens $4,000 Deon Broomfield $3,334 Jimmy Gaines $3,334 Jeff Tuel $1,667 Darius Robinson $1,334 Bryan Johnson $1,334 Colby Way $1,334 Derek Brim $667

Edited by thebandit27

NFLPA concerned about league’s habit of understating future cap growth

When it comes to the annual per-team spending limit, the NFLPA has noticed a trend. The league has a habit of understating future cap growth to its teams.

A memo sent by NFLPA cap and contracts guru Mark Levin to all agents, player representatives, and the NFLPA Executive Committee, a copy of which PFT has obtained, outlines this concern.

“As you may have read, recent media reports from the NFL owners meetings in Dallas projected the 2015 NFL Salary Cap to be between $138.6 and $141.8 million,” Levin writes. “Last year, these same ‘projections’ called for a flat cap that was ultimately a $10 million increase from the previous year. The salary cap is inextricably tied to League revenues and as we saw last year, substantial increases in revenue will lead to substantial increases in the salary cap.”

Remember, that's only if they DON'T touch Mario's deal.

And cut Chandler, which I don't think they will.

Spiller's case is a wild card; regardless, anything we do with him won't count for much against the cap unless we foolishly front load the contract.

bills will have about + $60 mil to spend in Free agency in 2015

HUGE SHAKEUP IN ROSTER:

league wide salary cap increase, bills carry over, much less dead money

2015 free agents lost: hughes(4), pears (3.5), spikes (3.2), lee smith (0.7), spiller (4.5)

2015 CUTS : mike Williams (7), Orton (7), urbik (3.6), Lawson (3.1), rivers (2.2)