F-ing JP , should of, could of, would of...

Pete

can i say im totally happy with either, and while youd have to consider the trade -- dont think its near the upgrade of talent the OP does, and dareus fits very well in a role we need here already.

and that i have no confidence that rodgers would have been half the player he is today had he been given to mularkey and passed to jauron?

The only QB that I wanted us to go all in for in the last decade was Big Ben. I think he's the only one in the draft we could have landed that would have panned out successful without folding. Rodgers might be 2nd, but not sure he would have survived here and the thought of him going to another team and becoming what he is today is frightening.

To think that Aaron Rodgers would be the same player had he been drafted by the Bills is just an absolutely ludicrous premise.

Player development does not happen in a vacuum. The Green Bay Packers and the Buffalo Bills are extremely different organizations, especially back in 2006 when he was drafted.

Rodgers went to Green Bay, where he sat for 3 years behind one of the greatest QBs of all time, learning a system that had been established for over a decade, with some of the best coaches for play calling, game planning, and player development.

Had he been drafted by the Bills, he would have been thrown into the fire right away, being "coached up" by football geniuses the likes of Dick Jauron and the 3 headed OC monster of Fairchild, Schonert, and Van Pelt.

He even said in a recent interview that his TD:Int ratio is the stat he is most proud of because he watched how the coaches reacted to all the picks Favre threw and ball control was engrained in him over that time. That is a major lesson he would have missed in Buffalo.

If the Bills drafted Aaron Rodgers, we would've broken him and he'd be sitting exactly where Losman and Edwards are right now. Maybe he could've hung on as a backup somewhere for a little bit. But we would have really messed him up given the state of the franchise at that time.

I think I love you more then Gugny, man. I don't know if we've ever disagreed agreed about anything other then Geno.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only QB that I wanted us to go all in for in the last decade was Big Ben. I think he's the only one in the draft we could have landed that would have panned out successful without folding. Rodgers might be 2nd, but not sure he would have survived here and the thought of him going to another team and becoming what he is today is frightening.

we couldve done with ben what pitt did - i agree that development wasnt reinventing the wheel.

rogers ended up a bit more of a project i think though (though i get why he was on the bench awhile). couple that with swapping HC quick, and schemes, and how jauron handled JP.... i could see his career arc looking a lot more JPL than MVP.

If we had the luxury of having JP or EJ sit behind a Hall of Famer for 3 years before playing, they might have turned out different.

But be honest. Who would have the patience for that? The second a player has a bad day in training camp, they are called a bust by some fans. There were plenty of Packers fans who had their doubts about Rodgers.

There were good reasons he fell in the draft. He played under a coach who had awful NFL Qbs (Carr, Harrington, Boller). He had a weird throwing motion (he held the ball by his arm). He was skinny and not thought to have a great hindsight.

He is a beast now. But this is the ultimate hindsight.

we couldve done with ben what pitt did - i agree that development wasnt reinventing the wheel.

rogers ended up a bit more of a project i think though (though i get why he was on the bench awhile). couple that with swapping HC quick, and schemes, and how jauron handled JP.... i could see his career arc looking a lot more JPL than MVP.

JP was our project QB. Trent Edwards might have been a project but something went horribly wrong. To this day I am not sure where JP came off the track.

JP was our project QB. Trent Edwards might have been a project but something went horribly wrong. To this day I am not sure where JP came off the track.

i dont know if he ever had a real chance to be "the guy" but after that season where he was kind of on the edge of top 10 with most stats.... i was surprised that the following year the offensive design seemed to go strongly focused towards his weaknesses. it quickly became apparent that any small chance was going to be squashed.

The title should be "F--ing Donahoe." JP turned out not to be good, but like Marrone, Mularkey had zero interest in developing or teaching his quarterback prospect. It was doomed from the start. So, as with Whaley and Marrone and the handling of Manuel, coach and front-office were not in sync with the JP selection and with giving him a legitimate opportunity to grow into the role. When your strategy is to save your own ass, it rarely works out in your favor.

In 2004, we traded our second round pick(could of been Darnell docket, bob sanders, etc) and our 2005 first round pick to trade up for JP. Well that 2005 1st pick was 20th overall. Aaron Rogers was drafted 24th. !@#$ you tom donahoe

I wish we all had a crystal ball back then. I can't personally blame the Bills front office for what went down with all of this back then. In fact, I distinctly remember watching the Bills and Packers scrimmage back in 2005/2006 and thinking to myself how much better JP looked than Rodgers at that time. Shows what I know! I think the moral of the story is that the Packers did a masterful job of grooming Rodgers.

Truthfully, regardless of who has been in the front office or coaching ranks for either organization, the Packers have shown a great tradition for developing quarterbacks over the last 20+ years. Favre, Brunnell, Hasselbeck, Brooks, Rodgers... Who have the Bills EVER developed? Even Jim Kelly came to the Bills after a couple of years under the tutelage of Mouse Davis and June Jones in Houston.

Yeah, he had that pretty solid season, and most people were excited for the next year, then I believe that's when Wilfork did a belly flop right into JP's knee. Then Trent came in looking decisive and whatnot and we were all enamored with him until Adrian Wilson scrambled his brains. Injuries :wallbash: Plus that wide load's hit on JP was sooo dirty

We drafted Tourell Troup over Rob Gronkowski. Marcell Dareus over JJ Watt. Erik Flowers, Travares Tillman, Corey Moore, Avion Black, Sammy Morris, and Leif Larson over Tom Brady. Marcell worked out, but he's no JJ Watt. We'd all be frothing at the mouth if we were miraculously offered a straight up trade. Point is, after the first five picks, and sometimes even then, see RG3, is kind of a crap shoot. We can't be looking at past mistakes. Would anybody have guessed that a scrawny QB out of Michigan would be arguably the greatest quarterback of all time (and the the reason for most of our drinking problems)?

I don't like this analogy because it makes it sound like the outcome of team building is as arbitrary as rolling dice, that having a blueprint, going after the right parts aggressively, and doing your homework with scouting and self-scouting are wasted motion because anybody with a dart board could do just as well.

But what I really wanted to say is that people that play craps keep playing craps because of the random positive reinforcement. Sometimes they actually "get it right" and win.

In 2004, we traded our second round pick(could of been Darnell docket, bob sanders, etc) and our 2005 first round pick to trade up for JP. Well that 2005 1st pick was 20th overall. Aaron Rogers was drafted 24th. !@#$ you tom donahoe

You do realize that Donohoe would have very likely bought into the groupthink about Tedford-trained college QBs, right?

Not bright enough, I suspect.

Shoulda coulda woulda.

If my aunt was a man, she'd be my uncle. What, cliche alert? Yessir.

What does "should of", "could of", "would of" mean exactly?

It's part of the group that involves "all of the sudden," "supposably" and "calm and collective."

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Green Bay is the reason we traded up to get Losman. The speculation was that Green Bay worked him out and liked him, but the pre-draft special I watched that morning showed one analysts opinion, that Losman "is more immature than my 11 year old daughter" and there's "no chance he'll go in the 1st round." Turns out, the Bills fell for it. Green Bay had no intention of even drafting a QB that year! Of course Losman may have been an option as a 2nd rounder, but that trade up was beyond stupid.

You'll be saying the same thing about this year. Sammy will continue to get hurt and be a bust and a generational QB will be drafted this year. Damn I hope I'm wrong.

Remember when we traded up in the 3rd round?!?!?!?! To draft TJ Graham and Russell Wilson was drafted a few picks later.

You couldn't be this wrong if you tried

I get so tired reading year after year all these people complaining because of "would of, could of should of's". Guess what the draft is a crap shoot and teams hit and teams miss. The Bills have hit more than they have missed in the last 3 years. You could say "wow" we picked up Kyle Williams in the 5th round or we got a starting right tackle in the last round in the 2014 draft but it is always more fun to be a critic. Instead of saying we missed on what some are saying could be the best QB ever in Rodgers you should say "wow" 23 teams missed on him. Hell even Seattle missed on Russell Wilson for 2 rounds. Every team had more than one shot to grab him but it is fun to say the Bills missed on him. The QB position is such a roll of the dice situation. I would rather take a chance on a QB after the second round then to grab a QB in round 1 or 2 anyways. This Mariota kid is a one read thrower like Manuel was in college. Like EJ he shows all the intangibles but if he can't read a defense were in trouble and he hasn't proved he can yet. He might be able to learn this crucial part to being a QB but do you want to chance that even if we had a first round pick, not me.