Orton sliding one yard shy of the 1st down.

Webster Guy

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic, considering the QB they're starting now turned into a giant bearded clam today...

You cannot convince me that the players aren't starting to realize that Orton is no better than what EJ was giving them. Missing open receivers with inaccurate throws, making bad reads, getting receivers hurt (Gragg), eschewing deeper throw opportunities, and playing like a giant kitty. Experience be damned, he's not getting it done in games they could have easily won with decent QB play.

You cannot convince me that the players aren't starting to realize that Orton is no better than what EJ was giving them. Missing open receivers with inaccurate throws, making bad reads, getting receivers hurt (Gragg), eschewing deeper throw opportunities, and playing like a giant kitty. Experience be damned, he's not getting it done in games they could have easily won with decent QB play.

I agree with this which makes me wonder what the reaction to the film will be of the "kitty slide" as it shall now be known and the two ghost sacks he took. I know it's crazy and not the smart play, but I wanted to see EJ in the fourth quarter... if he had found a way to lead a comeback (unlikely I know) it would have been the birth of a legend...

It was the most disappointing performance by Orton. Not just the missed passes but the early slide and giving up early on sacks. For a team led by a warrior like Fred Jackson, Orton's performance was an insult to the team.

I would bench him. It was a chickenshit display.

No we needed to bench 55, can't have 2 on the bench. BTW if I was on that D, I would be pissed.

No. He knew the down and distance as he said in his presser. Said he didn't think he could make a 1st down and should have thrown it away in hindsight when he was questioned about the play. Meow.

BOO!! and Doh!

Just saying it here.

Fitz would have taken that hit knowing it was a Mack truck about to hit him or a Blackhawk about to drop down on him.

We should have kept him, even at the price.

Fitz is having his best year as a pro, I whole heartly agree! 3 fumbles and 7 ints all year I think 18 TDs or something... amazing!

And we would not have had to suffer Matt Leinert, Jesse Palmer, Kevin Kolb, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Vince Young, Kyle Orton, T Jackson.

We would and should not have drafted EJ Manuel, even. We should have drafted a QB, but later in the draft. Maybe we waited and got Glennon, Barkley, Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones in 2013.

Or Maybe this year we took Derek Carr, Jimmy Garoppolo, Logan Thomas, Tom Savage, AJ McCarron, Aaron Murray or someone else.

We would have and should have drafted a QB. Maybe even Manuel would have slipped and someone took Geno Smith before Manuel and we get him in the 2nd.

We would have had no worse then what we have had since and we had stability and dependability with Fitz. I do not know if the guy has ever missed a game with injury! It'd have been costly to keep him but maybe he'd have restructured after that first year, who konws. But letting go of Fitz was a big deal. And a huge mistake.

No. Not I.

All good points, effing Buddy and his lack of phone skill.

There's a big difference between hating a player and knowing your team has to do better.

What made it worse was Orton actually put a move on a guy right before the slide! He shook the defender bad, it was impressive actually... and then it was as if he suddenly remembered he's Kyle Orton and freaked out.

Oh crap "I'm Kyle Orton!" falls down.

I agree with this which makes me wonder what the reaction to the film will be of the "kitty slide" as it shall now be known and the two ghost sacks he took. I know it's crazy and not the smart play, but I wanted to see EJ in the fourth quarter... if he had found a way to lead a comeback (unlikely I know) it would have been the birth of a legend...

EJ is he ready yet? IDHK and sort doubt it but Orton did look badly, bad. I vote bench for him but I may regret it.

I am shocked this hasn't been posted yet. I lost all faith in Orton on that 3rd down when he could have done a Fitz and dove ahead to keep the drive alive.

Instead he slid and chose to give the ball back to Peyton Manning.

No guts. When you're on the road in a conference game as major underdogs in December with playoff hopes still alive and you happen to have an 82 career passer rating, you cant afford to play like a wimp.

Jim Kelly must have cringed when he saw that play, I know I did. The next time someone tells me what a competitor Orton is I'm laughing in their face.

He's cashing his $5M trying to figure out how he can skip another training camp next year and wait for his phone to ring when someone's qb goes down.

I wasn't happy about that either but he probably thought he had it.

Ding ding ding ding! Winner!

We are still paying the price for that boneheaded handling of that entire QB situation back when he was QB.

We still might have lost today and he might have thrown 3 picks, but Fitz would have left his last pint of blood on that Denver football field today as he tried to eek out a win.

Ding, ding, ding, Winner!!!

I hated that play watching it live, and for what it represents in effort, but watching the replays, I don't think he gets it.

Also on the phantom sacks again a reaction I hated, but not sure if there was a better play to be made.

The think that bothered me most today and still does in hindsight was not going for it on 4th and 2, and taking time between plays 5-9 minutes out. Coming back from down three scores doesn't require ordinary pace and taking of chances, it requires a little more. We saw on 4th and 16 the steps you do to try to win a game, and that should have happened on an easier situation one possession earlier.

what was almost worse were Orton's comments after the game- when asked about the slide, he mentioned he should have tried to throw the ball to gain the 1st down.....no mention of him saying he should have manned up and found a way to gain the extra yard. Total cop-out.

There's no way he makes the first down, Johnson was about to destroy him. He needs to throw that ball away.

Sorry, this was a complete pu$$y play by Orton. Sometimes as a QB, you have to give up your body. You are in a must win game on the road for your playoff lives. You CANNOT slide there! Total lack of balls and leadership. If I'm Fred Jackson, I pull Orton aside, and I say "Now you listen to me! This is my last shot at a winner and for some of the younger guys it could be their only shot. I don't know what happened to you. But if you ever, ever tank another play like you did today, I'm gonna cut your nuts off and stuff em down your $%^in' throat!"

While I would have like to have seen him go for the first down instead of giving up the other thing that gets to me about this play is even if he isn't going to try for the first down why didn't he at least throw the ball away? At least then it would have been 4th and 1 and would have given us a better shot to go for it. Instead when he slid down it took us back to 4th and 4 I believe. I'm thinking the only reason you call a pass play on a 3rd and 1 like that is because your are expecting to go for it if you don't get it on the 3rd down pass play. Losing 3 yards takes that option away. Overall horrible play by Orton.

Thats what they did last week, if I recall. 3rd & 1 and they didn't pick it up, but they knew that they would go for it anyway on 4th & 1.

The play was already called and it ended with the 48yd pass to Gray.

The 3rd down play was a run, but why not try the same type of play here? Go into 3rd down with a plan for 4th.

Make the 1st down or not, Orton has to sellout on this play. Anything but the kitty slide.

I think the better move is to throw it away and go for it on 4th down, but you're right given the decision that he made.

Once he took off and started running it, you have to dive head first for that marker.

Promo had it right. Fitz was hated and we ran him out of town on a rail. Shame on us.

The fans ran Fitz out of town? No! The Bills, as indicated in the infamous Buddy phone call with the TB GM, made a decision that he wasn't good enough. Hell, Fitz was just benched for Ryan FN Mallett in Houston. He's not a good starting QB. EOS!

Orton's lack of speed on scrambles is embarrassing. He looks like an 80 year old man out there. Not to mention Orton cannot throw on a rollout to save his life. He has to stay in the pocket and throw otherwise disaster strikes. Yesterday though he was way to slow in his reads (or the coverage was good) and he took too many sacks. He is not as bad RJ was for not sensing pressure but he has some of the same tendencies.

I am shocked this hasn't been posted yet. I lost all faith in Orton on that 3rd down when he could have done a Fitz and dove ahead to keep the drive alive.

Instead he slid and chose to give the ball back to Peyton Manning.

No guts. When you're on the road in a conference game as major underdogs in December with playoff hopes still alive and you happen to have an 82 career passer rating, you cant afford to play like a wimp.

Jim Kelly must have cringed when he saw that play, I know I did. The next time someone tells me what a competitor Orton is I'm laughing in their face.

He's cashing his $5M trying to figure out how he can skip another training camp next year and wait for his phone to ring when someone's qb goes down.

that's when I checked out of that game...

So reassuring to know EJ is quietly learning from the master...

I know you are being facetious, but i do hope he is picking up a little attitude and tips on how to control the offense from Orton. If EJ ever comes back in he needs some of that. And I want to see him get actually passed off.