Should the Buffalo Bills match the Darryl Talley funds?

HOUSE

Should the Bills match Talley funds  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Buffalo Bills match the Darryl Talley Funds

• Yes
    • No

The Bills are under league policy so I would guess they are prohibited from an outright match. Keep in mind Talley nay not be the only ex team member with needs. While this sounds harsh the Bills are not a charity. They are a business and must run themselves accordingly.

With that said, I hope DT gets help from the league. He should and the Bills should help him get it.

The Bills are under league policy so I would guess they are prohibited from an outright match. Keep in mind Talley nay not be the only ex team member with needs. While this sounds harsh the Bills are not a charity. They are a business and must run themselves accordingly.

With that said, I hope DT gets help from the league. He should and the Bills should help him get it.

Wasn't there just a story about a former Buffalo Bill that is now homeless? Granted, he only had a cup of coffee with the team and may have just been a practice player if I recall correctly, but should the Bills help him out as well? or does it only apply to really good former players?

Edit--this is the guy I was the thread...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/169327-just-watched-this-video-homeless-former-bill/

Edited by ricojes

Wasn't there just a story about a former Buffalo Bill that is now homeless? Granted, he only had a cup of coffee with the team and may have just been a practice player if I recall correctly, but should the Bills help him out as well? or does it only apply to really good former players?

Donnie Green..OT from '70s

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2006-10-14/news/0610140171_1_find-god-hagerstown-rescue-mission

My point exactly. There are plenty of ex-players who fall on hard times. I wish DT the best but he is in no way alone in his circumstances.

I certainly don't think the Bills should feel obligated to match the funds. In fact doing so would create a dangerous precedent that struggling retired players could come back to their team for more money.

I DO think the Bills could still perform a good gesture in other ways, such as possibly finding a role with the organization or promoting the fundraiser.

He wouldn't be an NFL player, he would be receiving a gift not compensation, and wouldn't have a contract. So no, it would not affect the cap.

But whenever anybody retired, they would not be a NFL player.

Opportunity for abuse is huge

They could give him a job, and pay him $150k I would expect.

They could give him a job, and pay him $150k I would expect.

There are already complaints from fans about personnel who work for Bills (What do they do to earn their job?) and taxpayers who complain about about subsidies to Billionaires so I do not think this is a good idea. Any job should be one which the person could get in fair competition but the Bills could provide legal aid and advice as long as it was not against their best interests; charity funds already designated by Bills and the Ralph Wilson Foundation are possibilities.

So, we will pay you $ 4m for 4 years...wink, wink, nod nod, .after you retire we will pay you $12m as a "charitable " effort.

No can do

No, teams hire former players all the time. There have been cases where teams take an aging vet and offer him a cushy front office job to get him off the cap. There is really nothing that you can do to regulate it. At the same time the unions are never going to fight it because another job is opening up for someone else when this happens.

On a side note I have no problem with them offering him a token job. I think that both Kelly & Thurman are on the payroll in token jobs now. Let him do some appearances and entertain the high rollers. Every team has guys that do that. I do have an issue with them just paying him because there are lots of other guys in his situation. It's a bad, bad precedent.