A Very Sad Story About Darryl Talley

norton20

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something about this story just bothers me. I remember vividly Tally working and going through the program to become an owner of a McDonalds in the early 90's, then I believe buying one? Sure I get the concussions etc. have gotten to him, but there is something more here in the fact he wasted millions somehow. As for as a failed business, which one? And what happened to the McDonalds thing?

I'd like to know the details on this.

Yeah I don't buy that, there is more too it than not getting paperwork in on time.

I had always heard he was into the mcdonalds thing too...

Here is the kind of guy he is:

"One thing I wish people would take a look at is out of all the things that we accomplished we wouldn't have done a lot of them without Scott Norwood". He continued on, "Everybody seems to have forgotten Scott. If you look back in the early days we won a lot of games with special teams and him kicking field goals. So I think there's somewhere up there (the Wall) for Scott to be, but nobody wants to acknowledge him because he missed a kick. But as I recall, I missed some tackles in that game, Bruce missed some. Thurman dropped some balls and Jim threw interceptions, but nobody realizes that here is a guy that made major contributions to what this organization was about. It just irks me that people have forgotten him."

Edited by May Day 10

So he doesn't qualify for the higher pension because he didn't get paperwork in on time? Really? A paperwork issue? That is beyond shameful and should immediately be rectified. There's just no excuse for this. None. Shame on you, NFL. You won't be happy until all these former players fade away like John Mackey.

GO BILLS!!!

Id be curious if there's more to the story before calling the nfl shameful

Um...he's a very proud man, and might take offense at that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything - Lord knows I want to reach out to him myself right now. But...I don't know, maybe just be prepared to have him reject the gesture, and to donate the money to CTE research instead, or use it to create the "Talley Foundation" to help players suffering from CTE.

Maybe the fund can/should be portrayed similar to autograph fees or endorsement income. People give money to football players for very little "work" all the time. If he doesn't want the money perhaps it can be combined with an appearance fee somewhere. The reality is that any donations are related to his football career. In a way it may be easier to accept small amounts from fans than larger amounts from personal friends (e.g. Bruce). Also the article really makes Bruce look good. If he is really helping DT with his rent and his insurance then good for him.

This is awful and all too common. The NFL makes Billions of dollars a year. This should not happen. The Bills and the league need to take care of these players.

That just plain SUCKS !!

The NFL needs to step up & prove that the shield is more than just a facade for the Commissioner & owners to become fat cats while all those that gave them the riches suffer !!

NFL needs to step up. So sad.

The NFL has stepped up. You guys haven't been following the concussion settlement at all, obviously. The NFL and the NFLPA attired at a 765 million fund for this a year ago. Then, in June this year, a judge ruled the fund would be insufficient and the fund is now uncapped.

It is a sad story for a good guy like Talley. No doubt he took a ton of hits. But it seems his depression began immediately after his retirement, which, despite all the pain and injuries, he was more than happy, even desperate, to continue.

His finical issues aren't due to injuries or CTE. His business was a victim of the economic downturn. His fatal error was using his personal money to fund a dying business instead of declaring bankruptcy. Also, making he money he did as a player and living in the same house for 17 years, how can he not have payed off his mortgage in those 14 years as a player? The fact that he rents a house in a gated community on a golf course to seems like a family that still is living an unrealistic lifestyle given his circumstances.

Dumping on Tim Graham for this piece is ridiculous. It is the opposite of a hatchet job. He allowed Talley to tell just story unchallenged, including claims against Ralph and Butler that cannot be substantiated. He allowed him to claim the NFL turned down a $120K pension over paperwork without asking him for details. Also, he doesn't ask Talley if he has been examined by a neurologist or if he has sought treatment for depression.

As for the broken neck, if Talley had any X-rays outside of the Bills facility, such as in a hospital, those records will still exist.

Again, a sad story for sure, but much of his financial woes began well before his current mental deterioration. His depression seemed, by his own account, rooted in his inability to play football anymore.

I think that non football fans who read this article would feel bad for DT for his breaking down body and mind. But they might bristle at the concept that his former employer should just give him more money now that all of his previous NFL money (which is far more than many readers will make in a lifetime) has been squandered. This is especially true when they see that it would go to fund a lifestyle that is now, still, a lot grander than theirs may be.

There are a lot of issues raised in this article...

I read lot about the financial demise of curt schilling. He made some terrible business decisions and burned the taxpayers of rhode island... but above all else, that competitive fire as a successful pro athlete had him convinced that no matter the odds, he could "pitch" his way out of a jam. He continued to throw his own money into the dying video game company that only delayed the inevitable.

I wonder if talley had the same type of flair. Kept thinking 35-3, expected success against the odds and just sunk his personal money into a doomed highway safety company.

CTE is a terrible illness. We've seen too many lose that battle already, so this article is a real attention getter. Talley is larger than life for many of us, so we have to pray for the best for him and his family.

The financial piece is the part that didn't make sense to me. How many BILLS fans know former steel, auto, airline etc. etc. workers that gave their careers "their all" and were left with little or no pension and/or medical insurance due to corporate bankruptcy laws He had it all, lost most of it, by his own hand, but still gets 50k a year from the NFL, and lives in a gated community? Many retirees would be happy to scrape by on that.

Something about this story just bothers me. I remember vividly Tally working and going through the program to become an owner of a McDonalds in the early 90's, then I believe buying one? Sure I get the concussions etc. have gotten to him, but there is something more here in the fact he wasted millions somehow. As for as a failed business, which one? And what happened to the McDonalds thing?

Yeah I don't buy that, there is more too it than not getting paperwork in on time.

I totally forgot the McDonald's thing. I remember really liking that about him.

"One thing I wish people would take a look at is out of all the things that we accomplished we wouldn't have done a lot of them without Scott Norwood". He continued on, "Everybody seems to have forgotten Scott. If you look back in the early days we won a lot of games with special teams and him kicking field goals. So I think there's somewhere up there (the Wall) for Scott to be, but nobody wants to acknowledge him because he missed a kick. But as I recall, I missed some tackles in that game, Bruce missed some. Thurman dropped some balls and Jim threw interceptions, but nobody realizes that here is a guy that made major contributions to what this organization was about. It just irks me that people have forgotten him."

This is great!.........I remember the late hockey writer Jim Kelley calling QB Jim Kelly the falsely sainted Jim Kelly for blaming Norwood. I hated when I heard Jimbo say "We did out job. We got the ball to the 30." - No, Jimbo, the 25 maybe and I'd say you did your job, on that field, almost a quarter century ago (when kickers were not as good as today).

Dumping on Tim Graham for this piece is ridiculous. It is the opposite of a hatchet job. He allowed Talley to tell just story unchallenged, including claims against Ralph and Butler that cannot be substantiated. He allowed him to claim the NFL turned down a $120K pension over paperwork without asking him for details. Also, he doesn't ask Talley if he has been examined by a neurologist or if he has sought treatment for depression.

Actually, I'd dump on Graham for the things you mention. Whenever I read one of his human interest stories (mostly before he went back to sports), I always have more questions at the end than at the beginning. I'd like these details. Then, I'll happily give to the go fund me.

I had always heard he was into the mcdonalds thing too...

Scott is NOT forgotten. He lives in Virginia and is a real estate agent.

Every year he goes to annual Outdoor Tailgate at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA

http://thehockeywriters.com/supporting-the-sabres-from-afar-jimmy%E2%80%99s-old-town-tavern/attachment/1/

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/68215-ever-meet-a-buffalo-bills-player/page__st__60

I have a jersey signed by Mr Norwood and he is welcomed every year at Jimmy's.

Regarding Talley I remember the story on Buffalo Bills site on his business Sentry Barricades and was glad he was doing well.

It is good that his issues have been brought into the light but they should neither be treated as gospel or as belonging in a rag filled with football conspiracies.

No context was provided to article and most of the people he mentioned Mr Wilson and John Butler is dead.

Remember Rule #1: Posters will take his story and rant on whomever they were going to ran on anyways (i.e. Russ Brandon).

Regarding disability often medical decisions are made by outside organizations hired to make them and they often make mistakes.

Appealing often does no good without strong advocate since it goes back to same agency which made them in first place and the NFLPA is not a good advocate for those type of issue; they are better on appealing on fines for players who hurt other players (see Rule #1).

I was on disability after shoulder surgery and the scummy organization MetLife retroactively removed my disability because a _NURSE_ decided I did not need to be on disability and determined it for prior 6 weeks period resulting in receiving no pay despite letter from MetLife stating I fully qualified and statement from case handler "Do not worry about going back to work for after seeing the paperwork and extensive surgery you went through you need to concentrate on rehab".

Perhaps new front office will take a different view and actively seek to help his claims but such things are difficult for exactly what was stated in article:

Without naming names, Talley claimed to know several retired players who tanked their disability exams or lied throughout the process to gain full benefits.

The honest players are tarred with the dishonest ones and with disability it is the opposite of the legal system where you are guilty unless you are proven innocent.

I thought I remembered seeing him with the rest of the guys at Reed's HOF induction and thought he looked great. But didn't the article say he couldn't go? Does anyone else remember him being there?

Article stated he could not afford to go but his friends on the team paid for him and his family to go.

Scott is NOT forgotten. He lives in Virginia and is a real estate agent.

Every year he goes to annual Outdoor Tailgate at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern in Herndon, VA

http://thehockeywrit...n/attachment/1/

http://forums.twobil...er/page__st__60

I have a jersey signed by Mr Norwood and he is welcomed every year at Jimmy's.

Regarding Talley I remember the story on Buffalo Bills site on his business Sentry Barricades and was glad he was doing well.

It is good that his issues have been brought into the light but they should neither be treated as gospel or as belonging in a rag filled with football conspiracies.

No context was provided to article and most of the people he mentioned Mr Wilson and John Butler is dead.

Remember Rule #1: Posters will take his story and rant on whomever they were going to ran on anyways (i.e. Russ Brandon).

Regarding disability often medical decisions are made by outside organizations hired to make them and they often make mistakes.

Appealing often does no good without strong advocate since it goes back to same agency which made them in first place and the NFLPA is not a good advocate for those type of issue; they are better on appealing on fines for players who hurt other players (see Rule #1).

I was on disability after shoulder surgery and the scummy organization MetLife retroactively removed my disability because a _NURSE_ decided I did not need to be on disability and determined it for prior 6 weeks period resulting in receiving no pay despite letter from MetLife stating I fully qualified and statement from case handler "Do not worry about going back to work for after seeing the paperwork and extensive surgery you went through you need to concentrate on rehab".

Perhaps new front office will take a different view and actively seek to help his claims but such things are difficult for exactly what was stated in article:

Without naming names, Talley claimed to know several retired players who tanked their disability exams or lied throughout the process to gain full benefits.

The honest players are tarred with the dishonest ones and with disability it is the opposite of the legal system where you are guilty unless you are proven innocent.

Can't recall his name, but a respected Dr. in neurology has made the point most players will not qualify for disability. It's not due to whatever condition they may be in though. Reason they won't qualify is the agreements they made w/ the NFL. More or less, the players agreed to something few will ever qualify for. Junior Seau, if he was alive today, would not qualify for disability.

Article stated he could not afford to go but his friends on the team paid for him and his family to go.

ah yes... I remember that now. I do remember thinking he looked really good, almost like he could still play! That's another reason why I was so shocked by the article.

Can't recall his name, but a respected Dr. in neurology has made the point most players will not qualify for disability. It's not due to whatever condition they may be in though. Reason they won't qualify is the agreements they made w/ the NFL. More or less, the players agreed to something few will ever qualify for. Junior Seau, if he was alive today, would not qualify for disability.

This is just not true.

As I posted upstream, the huge suit against the NFL was settle without a cap on payouts for next 65 years. Seau would be included if he had any evidence of neuorcognitive illness.

As th plaintiff's lawyer summarized:

"This is an extraordinary settlement for retired NFL players and their families - from those who suffer with neuro-cognitive illnesses today, to those who are currently healthy but fear they may develop symptoms decades into the future," plaintiffs' attorneys Sol Weiss and Christopher Seeger said in a statement."