Whaley without Sammy

4merper4mer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can pick apart the words any way you like but it is still part of the rational he was using when he executed the trade.

Hey man, can you tell me what position makes sense to be drafted in the top ten? I want to see how many Superbowls top ten picks have won.

If the Bills finish 8-8 or better I won't have a problem with the trade at all. That would put them picking in the 15th to 20th spot. Sammy has potential to be great. It's not that easy to get elite Wideouts. Picking in that spot would make it way easier to stomach and probably then would be considered a good trade.

Edited by first_and_ten

Hey man, can you tell me what position makes sense to be drafted in the top ten? I want to see how many Superbowls top ten picks have won.

He's conveniently ignored that and moved on to another point.

You said you were giving up a low first round pick, is that a guarantee of the playoffs?

DW: That’s not a guarantee. I’m saying we expect it to be low.

http://www.buffalobi...0c-02d08a1a5c2e

So basically he didn't say what you said. Thats not twisting words because the 2 statements have different meanings.

Would (past tense of will) - expressing inevitable events.

Expect - to look forward to;

Nice try.

He's conveniently ignored that and moved on to another point.

So basically he didn't say what you said. Thats not twisting words because the 2 statements have different meanings.

Would (past tense of will) - expressing inevitable events.

Expect - to look forward to;

Nice try.

you're joking right? i just read this for the first time as i usually avoid the official bills propaganda.. most of the arguments supporting whaley here are taken right from this piece. except you all choose to ignore that he absolutely stated that he expected the first round pick to be a low one. depending on your definiton of low (and i somehow suspect many here will define it as whatever place the bills draft next year), he's likely to have been wrong. he made his decision on expectations. he expected watkins to be a star. he expected the traded pick to be of relatively lower value.

not that what any of us thinks or posts matters but hasn't 15 years of failure convinced anyone that rationalizing the bills bad moves is silly and self deceptive?

And that should be good for them, but maybe not worth passing on an elite talent. Here is who is left on their team from the FIVE picks they got in exchange for Julio Jones just 3 years ago:

Phil Taylor - decent player, now on IR.

The rest:

Greg Little- Bad, cut after 3 seasons; Owen Marecic, played less than 2 seasons, cut; Brandon Weeden - Bad, cut after 2 seasons; last pick was traded to move up to take Trent Richardson in 2012 who was then traded after 1 season.

Sometimes you just need to take the player.

The Browns will get what they deserve. The scheduling gods made sure of it. In consecutive weeks, they will face the two elite WRs who they passed on in the draft as they try to make the playoffs for the first time in ten years. Would they have an infinitely better chance to do that with EITHER of these players on their team instead of having to defend them? Yes. Gordon or no Gordon, because they wouldn't have 4 losses and be in last place in the div. if they had EITHER of these players while Gordon was out.

you're joking right? i just read this for the first time as i usually avoid the official bills propaganda.. most of the arguments supporting whaley here are taken right from this piece. except you all choose to ignore that he absolutely stated that he expected the first round pick to be a low one. depending on your definiton of low (and i somehow suspect many here will define it as whatever place the bills draft next year), he's likely to have been wrong. he made his decision on expectations. he expected watkins to be a star. he expected the traded pick to be of relatively lower value.

not that what any of us thinks or posts matters but hasn't 15 years of failure convinced anyone that rationalizing the bills bad moves is silly and self deceptive?

Again, the word expected versus would. And who said I ignored it? The poster said Whaley guaranteed the pick would be low. Whaley never said such a thing. He completely misquoted his meaning.

I have absolutely no problem with Whaley expecting it to be a low pick and didn't ignore that at all. That equivalent to expecting the playoffs. Every team has lofty expectations like that.

The Watkins trade wasn't "folly" (thanks for the insight Jerry) unless you apply total 20/20 hindsight. Yes, if you traded down and picked Odell Beckham exactly one spot before the Giants drafted him or picked Kevin Benjamin exactly one spot before the Panthers drafted him and used the extra pick on a quality guard, and picked a TE instead of Kujo, yes you could have done "better" than Watkins. But neither Beckham or Benjamin was considered Top Ten pick worthy. (No way is Mike Evans there at 9 - that's just fantasy.) I'll take Wakins over Ebron or Taylor Lewan plus the #15 or #16 pick in next year's draft every day of the week.

I think a lot of fans are giving credit to Whaley where it should be given to Nix.

Mario Dareus Aaron Williams searcy Gilmore Glenn urbik Charles bradham

These were guys under nixs tenure. Yes Whaley was on the staff but who knows?

Also jerry Hughes was traded right at the end of the 2013 draft so he could be a mix call or a Whaley call, I'm not sure.

What's silly is taking cliches spoken to the media and ascribing some deeper meaning to them. Whaley said he expected the Bills to do well. What else could he say?

Like it's been said before, hindsight is 20/20. What that move told me, is that they had full faith in EJ Manuel's skills as a quarterback. At least getting Kiko back will be like having a first round pick.

"Full faith in EJ as a quarterback". ---- that's the scary part!

Have to agree with Sully on this one, at least at this point. Of course we will need to see how Watkins develops (Kouandjio as well), but it does seem like some bad decision making and assessments were made, including the drafting of Kouandjio with our second round pick.

I'll just leave this here:

"The Bills should have cut Dareus on Saturday and been done with him...."

http://www.buffalone...ten-up-20140603

oh and this too:

http://www.buffalone.../121009696/1082

Jerry Sullivan would make an excellent GM.

I'll just leave this here as well, for all those who have to believe what Sully is saying.

It actually wasn't. The extra 1st was the only way they could make the deal with the Browns. Whaley didn't want to give up any picks in the last draft, that is true. But the Browns made the 1st part of the deal and it was take it or leave it.

I had read differently. Do you have an article?

I think if we didn't grab Sammy....the Bucs end up with him one way or another and we get Mike Evans. Given the way Evans has looked...Evans + #10ish is better than Sammy (and that isn't a knock on Sammy btw).

I still stand by the Sammy trade though. We all knew what we gave up...there was always going to be one or more "what-if-instead-of-Sammy scenarios" that would be good looking back. The point is, we secured Sammy. You can't complain. We'll have him for a while. It was a good thing.

This is a huge reach seeing as how Whaley already said Ebron was next on the draft chart