Is It Time To Start EJ, Again?

Peace Frog

I don't think Marrone is going to be judged strictly by his record. Like 8-8 = fired, 9-7 = retained. That's way too simplistic.

Were I the owner, I would firstly want to see how the team responds from here on out. Secondly, I want to see the team get better. I wanna see improvement in the areas where they are struggling. I wanna see that the staff can correct problems. For instance, if they are able to make a big leap in Red Zone production....if they get the running game going...

If they just continue to suck, and tread water....fired

Based on how they have responded to every big test since the Pegulas were announced as owners, I gotta believe they will be looking at this closely as well. They have failed miserably in every key game and that's usually a sign of a team that's not prepared and that's usually on the coaches. It's great that they engineered last second wins vs. Detroit and Minnesota and it's great that they were able to take advantage of turnovers to beat an inferior Jest team, but lost in that euphoria is the way they laid eggs in every big game and that's a big concern from where I sit.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We already know how we respond to pressure, and it's a complete folding. Every important game this year, we've completely choked.

So yes, start EJ for the rest of the year. Figure out what you have. So you know if you need to take a QB in the 2nd round or not.

@buffalobills

Doug Marrone: "Right now I'm sticking with Kyle (Orton), we'll go with who gives us the best chance to win"

Interesting quote here....could it possibly be......hmmmm............ coaching?

"The Bills are 3-3 in games started by Orton, after going 2-2 in the games started byE.J. Manuel before the switch to the bearded one.

They were averaging 19.8 points and 320.8 yards per game in the first four, then 20.2 and 322.2 since.

Looking at those numbers, it’s almost as if the problem isn’t the quarterback."

"The Bills are 3-3 in games started by Orton, after going 2-2 in the games started byE.J. Manuel before the switch to the bearded one.

They were averaging 19.8 points and 320.8 yards per game in the first four, then 20.2 and 322.2 since.

SSShhh....stop with the stats and just assume "EJ Sucks" as the masses are trying to implant into us. :-P

I dont see how Orton gives us any better chance than EJ. Let the kid play and seal his fate..

SSShhh....stop with the stats and just assume "EJ Sucks" as the masses are trying to implant into us. :-P

I dont see how Orton gives us any better chance than EJ. Let the kid play and seal his fate..

Those numbers aren't even passing numbers. Why would they matter?

Or, both QBs suck equally. In any event coaching is at least as big of a problem as the QB, and the OL is almost as much.

Yeah way to ignore the more important facts. Orton and this offense average 15 points per game outside the Jets game. The ONE...ONE...I say again...ONE game agasint the Jets has grossly skewed all the numbers. A game where our Defense got us 6 turnovers...how many more times will that happen? And in those FIVE games he has put up 6 TDs and 5 Turnovers. He has averaging almost a 1:1 ratio of TD:Turnover in every start but one. Oh yes, he's doing marvelous. And lets not forget 21 straight drives with no TDs.

Yes the game happened, but so did the FIVE other games where our offense has averaged 15 points per game under Orton. We averaged 21.2 last year with a Rookie and twice hurt QB in EJ, a guy who should never have played a down in Tuel, and a 3rd string QB in Thad.

We are WORSE in every relevant offensive category this year than last, including PPG, YPG, Red Zone %, First Downs, etc etc.

Orton has started 60% of the games this year and our offense is worse in every offensive category. We have more talent on the offense this year, less injuries, and more experience. And consider our first 2 weeks our offense was solid and pretty good. In the other 8 it has been mostly bad, 6 of which were started by Orton.

Oh those pesky facts...the problem with this board is they see near 300 yards and assume its a good game. 2 good drives can get you 50-60% of those yards. You can suck the rest the game and still get to near 300. It means nothing. And thats what happens EVERY WEEK. 2 good drives, usually one early, one late...and nothing but short drives and 3 and outs in the middle. Great, good for Orton, he gets near 300 yards except he puts no points on the board, doesn't convert 3rd downs, doesn't convert in the red zone, and does very little to help us win. In fact, our losses since him taking over, every one, can be pinned on the offense.

orton isn't even mediocre.

but orton is still much better than EJ who is currently god awful.

neither will ever be a franchise QB.

If the EJ that played weeks 3 and 4 is the real EJ, then I agree with you. However, I think EJ still has some potential. His main problem was actually very correctable. His problem was he played afraid to make a mistake rather than letting loose. Its like when you go play Golf and you sit there addressing the ball ready to swing and all you do is think of all the complicated things to do and not do in your swing to get a good shot. It distracts you and usually doesn't work out. Now compare that to just getting up there and having confidence in your swing where you line your shot up and take a confident swing...no matter your skill level, this is almost always a better result.

EJ needs to stop over thinking and playing to cautious. I think its great he wants to protect the ball, but he also has to let his balls drop and be a man out there and take some chances. He also recognized this when he was benched and said he needs to stop being so careful and let loose. The kid has a lot of physical intangibles, if he can let go and play with more aggressiveness this kid could still be good. Evident is in the fact that he has 3 fourth Qtr comebacks in 14 games. When the game is on the line he played better because he had to take those chances versus having the option to not take a chance.

That is why I think this kid still might be able to be a good QB. Now, if he can't shake that, the kid is done as an NFL starter, no doubt.

Edited by Alphadawg7