How Many Wins saves the Coaching staff

rumblefish

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be other factors at work. First of all there is the Jim Schwartz issue. Everyone seems to like him and want him to stay and for good reason. But if you fire Marrone then Jim Schwartz is going to want the head coaching job. That is all but a fact, regardless of what kind of job you thought he did in Detroit.

If we just fire Marrone and Hackett we need to hire a very good coach, but it limits us substantially unless we go the college offensive genius route. It's difficult to get a top coach and force a DC and defensive scheme on him unless he's a pure offensive guy. It's tough to give the job to an unknown ahead of Schwartz and have Schwartz have to be behind him.

It eliminates a top coach who is beholden to a defensive guy or scheme or who loves to blitz. It could work if it is, as Kirby wants, the Auburn guy. Make Schwartz assistant HC and have total control over that side of the ball. As well as some of the head coaching duties that Mazeltof would be unprepared for.

I really hope that whoever decides this doesn't look at a set number of wins required to make a decision one way or another. A coach should be able to maximize the talent on the field and give his team the best chance to win. Not continually get in the way, like this guy has done since he got here. As a poster here has repeated...the 2014 Bills are 12 win talent with 2 win coaching. They are winning in spite of the head coach.

I really hope that whoever decides this doesn't look at a set number of wins required to make a decision one way or another. A coach should be able to maximize the talent on the field and give his team the best chance to win. Not continually get in the way, like this guy has done since he got here. As a poster here has repeated...the 2014 Bills are 12 win talent with 2 win coaching. They are winning in spite of the head coach.

How is it possible to have 5 wins already and 2 win coaching, even with 12 win talent?

How is it possible to have 5 wins already and 2 win coaching, even with 12 win talent?

I'm pretty sure you get the point.

Assuming you do like the job Marrone has done, can you give me an example or two on what it is specifically that fans should be happy about with him? None of this "the team is playing hard for him" gibberish. Going to Orton might be the only smart thing he did, and that was probably decided out of job preservation.

The team has had success because of the side of the ball that he does not have nearly as much to do with. He's an offensive guy, and our offense consistently underachieves. Not even because we don't have talent there. Why is that so hard for some people to come to grips with?

I get the sense that there is turmoil between Whaley and Marrone. I know shocking stuff. It will come down to Pegula most likely. 8-8 most likely but could go, 9-7 will keep him. The wildcard is how Hackett and how tied Marrone is to him

I'm pretty sure you get the point.

Assuming you do like the job Marrone has done, can you give me an example or two on what it is specifically that fans should be happy about with him? None of this "the team is playing hard for him" gibberish. Going to Orton might be the only smart thing he did, and that was probably decided out of job preservation.

The team has had success because of the side of the ball that he does not have nearly as much to do with. He's an offensive guy, and our offense consistently underachieves. Not even because we don't have talent there. Why is that so hard for some people to come to grips with?

He hired Petttine and he hired Schwartz. He has the team ready to play. Even though we lost at the end last week we won three games in the final minute out of four. We are tough. Players play for him.

I'm not sold on him at all. I think we could do better in all probability. I think he makes very questionable in game decisions but all coaches do including great ones. I think we win tonight and are 6-4. We have to see how this all plays out this season.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

There may be other factors at work. First of all there is the Jim Schwartz issue. Everyone seems to like him and want him to stay and for good reason. But if you fire Marrone then Jim Schwartz is going to want the head coaching job. That is all but a fact, regardless of what kind of job you thought he did in Detroit.

If we just fire Marrone and Hackett we need to hire a very good coach, but it limits us substantially unless we go the college offensive genius route. It's difficult to get a top coach and force a DC and defensive scheme on him unless he's a pure offensive guy. It's tough to give the job to an unknown ahead of Schwartz and have Schwartz have to be behind him.

It eliminates a top coach who is beholden to a defensive guy or scheme or who loves to blitz. It could work if it is, as Kirby wants, the Auburn guy. Make Schwartz assistant HC and have total control over that side of the ball. As well as some of the head coaching duties that Mazeltof would be unprepared for.

I don't think Schwartz is irreplaceable. Fire Moron, I mean Marrone. Decide who is going to run the Football operations. Let him decide on GM/HC, etc.

He hired Petttine and he hired Schwartz. He has the team ready to play. Even though we lost at the end last week we won three games in the final minute out of four. We are tough. Players play for him.

I'm not sold on him at all. I think we could do better in all probability. I think he makes very questionable in game decisions but all coaches do including great ones. I think we win tonight and are 6-4. We have to see how this all plays out this season.

I agree w your assessment of Marrone. He does have our team ready to play. But than screws things up w his very questionable game day decisions. His overall football intellect seems a bit too simplistic, as can be seen in the redundant play calling and formations we use on offense. (and going 5 wide when we were 1st and 10 on the 15 late in Sunday's game is a headscratcher to me)

Your previous post about Malzahn coming to Buffalo from Auburn is interesting. My girlfriend's daughter goes to Auburn, so we watch all of their games on TV. He is an offensive genius, who is totally involved w all aspects of the game. He has a completely different demeanor than stone faced Marrone. I would be shocked if he was willing to leave one of the Mecca's of college football for an NFL team that has not made the playoffs since the 20th century ended. And have you heard him speak? The guy has marbles in his mouth. It would take a little while for people to understand him. (Sully would be annoyed) That being said, his football acumen is miles and miles ahead of Doug Marrone's. Go Bills and War Eagle.

Pegula will pay more attention to the pulse of Bills fans than Ralph ever did.

If there is a strong sense among fans and the media that Marrone and/or Hackett can't cut it, then I think he'll act. If he feels there is no real unrest, I'm sure he'll be happy to do nothing.

This thread seems to say that fans won't be satisfied with 8 or fewer wins after 15 straight years missing the playoffs.

I'm trying to think about the worst teams in the leagues and how often they flip over their coaches. I know the Raiders have to lead the list. Does anyone know if there is any correlation between winning and the amount of time they give a coach without having him be on the hot seat?

This is the best coaching staff we've had in over a decade. We don't have a QB, an Oline or starting RBs and we're in the playoff hunt.

What the !@#$ is wrong with you people?

What the #$@! is wrong with you? 'Best coaching staff in a decade' is still close to the worst in the league. Having a buddy as an OC is not a path to success.

100% Whaley returns for 2015.

75% Marrone returns.

assuming we miss the playoffs, I can envision a scenario where the GM insists on an OC change (to appease the fans) and Marrone refuses on principal, forcing whaley to fire marrone and hackett.

75% Marrone returns.

assuming we miss the playoffs, I can envision a scenario where the GM insists on an OC change (to appease the fans) and Marrone refuses on principal, forcing whaley to fire marrone and hackett.

That is a possible scenario, although I wouldn't predict it.

It would also be somewhat of a terrible career move for Marrone. That would somehow align him with Hackett as a package deal, and the team hiring a new coach would automatically have to take Hackett, too, knowing the last team was convinced he couldn't do the job but Marrone could. As a team, they would probably have to go back to college. I couldn't see another NFL team hiring Marrone next year under those circumstances (what would amount to a .500 record or less, with a great defense and woefully under-performing offense)

75% Marrone returns.

The last scenario, is a likely one IMHO and glad to see it happen...or, Marrone will resign in the face of mandated change, either way, I think the HC is changed unless the BILLS make the playoffs or win 10 games and miss them (don't see that happening, but hey, stranger things, right?)...

This is the best coaching staff we've had in over a decade. We don't have a QB, an Oline or starting RBs and we're in the playoff hunt.

What the !@#$ is wrong with you people?

I certainly don't know what team you are referring to, as the best in over a decade. What some of us in the reality see is that this offensive coaching staff has made so many, many mistake from their first year, and second year that this team could have been in the playoffs both years. Its slipping away fast to another lost season.

The Bills offense was ranked 20th last year, and are even worse this season at 25th with a better QB. FAIL

The Bills were near last in the NFL in 3 downs and out last season. They were so bad in fact that they garnered the nickname "hurry up and put offense". Its really almost no different this season, as the Bills still can't make a first down by running when needed, and are still so bad in sustaining drives. FAIL

How does an intelligent HC with a pedigree in the O line start a Colin Brown at LG, or have a backup like David Snow even on the roster. Pears at RG, really? Two years with bad players on the line, and the Bills are currently fielding one of the worst, if not the worst O line in the League. FAIL

No veteran QB on the roster last year to help the first year OC, and the THREE rookie QB's. Hacket coaching EJ, Tuel, Lewis was like the blind leading the blind. we now see the significance of what presence can do to help young QB with with Kyle Orton on the team. Currently both EJ & Hackett are learning from Orton. FAIL.

The Bills are last in the league in red zone offense, and yet keep a big red zone threat in WR Mike Williams unused or mostly inactive.The HC would rather help his good buddy the ST coach by having an extra man on kick coverage's even tho he has an extra kicker starting to kick it out of the end zone. 2x FAIL.

Spiller under HC Chan Gailey had a spectacular year in a spread offense, and Hackett could never figure out how to get Spiller in space. So, consequentially we got to watch a lot of plays with a talented RB running into the backs of his blockers because there is no hole from all the bad blocking due to bad O lines. FAIL

Numerous penalties during games at the most inopportune times from players who should know better, bad coaching. FAIL

The Bills gave up three draft choices to trade up for Sammy Watkins, their first pick 2014, the first pick 2015, and a 4th in 2015. Granted he has been slightly injured at times but he has still played in every game. Right now Sammy is tied at 30th in receptions, and Brown from the Steelers has 79. This coaching staff should be getting Sammy much more involved in the offense in various ways. By moving him all over the field, slot, outside, RB to run end arounds. Reverses, fake reverses. Especially since Spiller is on IR. The guys IS a playmaker and this staff used him as a decoy in one game they lost. The more receptions Sammy has the more chance the Bills have in winning. FAIL

The Bills are currently fielding a top ten defense currently ranked 6th in the NFL, and finally have a veteran journeyman QB who doesn't force throws, and doesn't cause turnovers. Yet this offense still can't win games because of poor decisions by the offensive coaching staff.

Me personally I'm so tired of the ineptitude, stupidity, and mistakes I'm hoping the HC and entire offensive coaching staff gets the ax. I just don't see this team making the playoffs, or winning 9-10 games. Schwartz is a keeper tho.

On a side note this season could possibly be saved by benching Pears, and finding a better player at RG. (Incognito?) Running an actual spread / pistol type offense like Gailey used to run. Then allow Mike Williams the chance to be effective in the red zone by actually being active. JMO.