Bryce's Fumble

Webster Guy

Agree, but it was more than a bad break.

Parker is a very good playmaker. His doing that is unfortunate for us but not just luck on his part.

He's good and that's what he does.

I too was impressed with Brown and also with the O-line.

The drive that ended with Browns fumble is worth mentioning not just for the turnover but also because our guys were blowing them off the ball and running it down their throats. That doesn't happen much to that KC D. Pass pro was pretty decent too.

Silver lining and a glimpse of good things to come?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great play by the defender and if the end zone is a foot deeper Chandler hauls it in for a TD. Unlucky play for us and one that really could have gone either way pretty easily.

Chandler didn't need the endzone a foot deeper. The ball hit him right in the hands and he dropped it.

It was a great play by the defender and if the end zone is a foot deeper Chandler hauls it in for a TD. Unlucky play for us and one that really could have gone either way pretty easily.

I agree with this. As much as Bryce had issues in Philly, that was a good defensive play. Chandler needs to make a play on that ball. No excuses for not scoping it up when it was RIGHT IN HIS HANDS. Perhaps he thought it was a pass and dropped it ;)

Well, we can disagree, I guess.

We beat the Lions; but I think the Lions are better than us.

And yesterday, I saw our offense move the ball easily up and down the field, and our defense absolutely destroy the Chiefs. We lost because of our own unforced errors (two missed TD throws by Orton, fumble at the goal line by Brown, and fumble by McKelvin). The Chiefs did nothing.

agreed.

I agree with this. As much as Bryce had issues in Philly, that was a good defensive play. Chandler needs to make a play on that ball. No excuses for not scoping it up when it was RIGHT IN HIS HANDS. Perhaps he thought it was a pass and dropped it ;)

anything but knock it out of bounds. literally, anything.

Well, we can disagree, I guess.

We beat the Lions; but I think the Lions are better than us.

And yesterday, I saw our offense move the ball easily up and down the field, and our defense absolutely destroy the Chiefs. We lost because of our own unforced errors (two missed TD throws by Orton, fumble at the goal line by Brown, and fumble by McKelvin). The Chiefs did nothing.

Well, technically the Brown and McKelvin fumbles were "forced" errors. I think Chiefs fans would agree. KC's recipe for winning is protecting the ball. In crunch time, when the Bills were ready to take the game, Buffalo flinched and were stripped. KC took advantage and did not flinch. They rarely do and that's why they are 6-3. Protect the damn ball.

how many other starting TE's in the nfl recover that ball? chandler looks like frankenstein at times. he's been marginal since he's been here and he's not gonna get better. good teams have good or very good TE's.

This, I still don't understand why this team can't find a decent tight end. Chandler, even when he makes the catch looks like he is running in quicksand and falls down the minute he is touched. There has got to be someone better than him out there. The whiff on the fumble was a tough one because it happened fast, but he definitely had his hands on the ball and dropped it. Edited by xsoldier54

Watching Chandler bumble the fumble was almost as cringe worthy as the fumble itself. It almost looked like he was trying to be cute and recover it mid air rather than just diving on it. But to counter my own argument, a bull-dive at that strangely shaped ball might have also resulted in a touchback. I don't remember how much room he had to make a dive type recovery.

Edited by PortlandiaEast

Watching Chandler bumble the fumble was almost as cringe worthy as the fumble itself. It almost looked like he was trying to be cute and recover it mid air rather than just diving on it. But to counter my own argument, a bull-dive at that strangely shaped ball might have also resulted in a touchback. I don't remember how much room he had to make a dive type recovery.

whatever the result, he's much closer to oaf than elite athlete.

I thought there were more rules around that(i.e. condition that allow it to move forward). But, I could be wrong.

4th down and inside two minutes of each half, in order to be advanced fumbling player must recover. This is the holy roller rule from Dave Casper days.

Thats just it, he was at the endline. He could not dive on it as he had to keep both feet in bounds and recover in the end zone, just like a catch. He did a great job, just got unlucky he hit his knee while trying to keep both feet in...He should actually be applauded for know the rules and trying the only play possible.

I algree an unlucky play.

Just frustrating cause once he is moving fast at the 5 yard line and he has to do is hold on to the ball and fall forward and he is in.

Also frustrating Chandler bobbles and drops it. I know the ball was bouncing and rotating strangely but I thought he should have it.

Chandler was in a tough spot because if he falls on it he probably lands out of the endzone. I hate defending such a mediocre player but not much he could do. Plus the ball would have gone back to the three yard line as I don't think a different player can recover a ball fumbled forward.

4th down and inside two minutes of each half, in order to be advanced fumbling player must recover. This is the holy roller rule from Dave Casper days.

Thats just it, he was at the endline. He could not dive on it as he had to keep both feet in bounds and recover in the end zone, just like a catch. He did a great job, just got unlucky he hit his knee while trying to keep both feet in...He should actually be applauded for know the rules and trying the only play possible.

Is it really only those situations? i thought it was all the time that a fumble that goes forward must be recovered by the fumbling player or it goes back to the spot of the fumble?

I was sitting right at the goaline where that happened... the ball popped up to Chandler almost perfectly, it seemed like it was in slow motion......aaaaaaaaaaaaand we all know what happened. It was literally OH NO, OH YES, OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all in one play. I nominate that one play to summarize what its like being a Bills fan for the last 15 years.

This is so true - I was screaming NO! NO! NO! YES! NOOO! NOOOO!

Incredible that Bills fans now have a whole new play to add to the unbelievable collection of game-turning/losing plays, just when you didn't think there could be a different way to do it. The multi-fail roller coaster on this one play in a matter of seconds makes it so noteworthy though - "He's going in for the potentially game clinching score! Oh no WTF the ball just got tommahawked out by some flying missle! Wait, we're going to recover it for a TD! Oh crap Touchback?!?!!! @#@$$%%@$@$!"

BTW, the touchback for a fumble out of the end zone has to be the most unnecessarily harsh rule in the game.

Edited by stevewin

Chandler was in a tough spot because if he falls on it he probably lands out of the endzone. I hate defending such a mediocre player but not much he could do. Plus the ball would have gone back to the three yard line as I don't think a different player can recover a ball fumbled forward.

Is it really only those situations? i thought it was all the time that a fumble that goes forward must be recovered by the fumbling player or it goes back to the spot of the fumble?

here is the nfl rule page

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/fumble

Plus, i just went and rewatched the play..I was wrong, Chandler initially had the ball hit him in the hands about 5 yards deep in the endzone, does not get enough of his hands on the ball, hits his knee, and then he tries to recover while staying in bounds. So, he could have made the play.