Paper Tigers

jumbalaya

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously want to understand this line of thinking. Please explain if you don't mind.

When something happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over(one for each year of missed playoffs) people tend to expect more of the same. if they would have thought that way any season of the past 14 seasons they would have been right.

This year DOES feel different though. At least to me. I'm very optimistic about the second half of the season.

The Bills are guilty until proven innocent, dontcha know?
When something happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over(one for each year of missed playoffs) people tend to expect more of the same. if they would have thought that way any season of the past 14 seasons they would have been right. This year DOES feel different though. At least to me. I'm very optimistic about the second half of the season.

Here's to me never being infected by the fatalistic outlook known as Battered Buffalo Fan Syndrome that will leave me with the feeling of an inescapable chain of calamitous events.

I seriously want to understand this line of thinking. Please explain if you don't mind.

Not that hard to figure out. The Bills have been bad for 14 years. The second half of the season is when the pretenders are separated from the contenders and the Bills always fall into the pretender category. This year may be different, but I don't think it will. I don't have faith in our O-Line or our running game. We scored a few victories against crappy teams. I sat in my seats at RWS and watched the Bills get destroyed by New England. The game was not close. It was downright embarrassing. That tells me we are not yet a playoff team. Hopefully things continue to come together and we hit our stride down the stretch. But I am not expecting it.

Not that hard to figure out. The Bills have been bad for 14 years. The second half of the season is when the pretenders are separated from the contenders and the Bills always fall into the pretender category. This year may be different, but I don't think it will. I don't have faith in our O-Line or our running game. We scored a few victories against crappy teams. I sat in my seats at RWS and watched the Bills get destroyed by New England. The game was not close. It was downright embarrassing. That tells me we are not yet a playoff team. Hopefully things continue to come together and we hit our stride down the stretch. But I am not expecting it.

Whether they fail or not is completely independent from the previous fourteen years.

Whether they fail or not is completely independent from the previous fourteen years.

Not really. Success is built over time. Teams generally don't just show up out of nowhere and perform well.

The Bills have yet to show they have become a playoff team, in my opinion. There are 8 more games left for them to show it. In a funny way, the next 8 weeks are almost like playoffs for the Bills. Its an 8 game playoff series and they needs to win 5 of 8 games.

I think this team ends up at 5-11 and in the cellar of the AFCE.

I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. So you have the Bills losing to both the Jests and the Raiders, and finishing behind the Jests who are currently 1-8.

I'm not much of a gambler, but yeah, give me a piece of that please :)

I have the nagging feeling that we are still "paper tigers", but less so than in previous years. We have a better team, but also a nasty schedule ahead of us. Currently 6 games against teams with winning records. 8-8 could be very possible, if not worse... but our team is still better than the 2008/2011 squads.

ive given up on understanding that line of thinking. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it will have nothing to do with the last 14 years. It will be because they weren't good enough this year.

Correct but that doesn't stop fans from relating it to past failures. I can understand why fans have come to fear the worst even if I totally agree that whay has happened in the past has no relevance to what happens in the future. I am still thinking about waking up next Friday morning to the Bills at 7-3.... but I am as nervous as hell about both games.

Granted. But given the teams the Bills have fielded in the past decade, that is saying very little.

But it is good to be feeling a warm wind in the sails instead of the usual Lake Erie cold wind in our face we have endured.

ie . Our hope is not false this year.

Maybe we dont make the playoffs ? But the team is trending up right now. And they are fighting the good fight. Thats enough for me to keep the faith .

We scored a few victories against crappy teams. I sat in my seats at RWS and watched the Bills get destroyed by New England. The game was not close. It was downright embarrassing. That tells me we are not yet a playoff team.

I say on my couch and watched New England destroy Denver clearly they too must not be a playoff team...

I think this team ends up at 5-11 and in the cellar of the AFCE.

Naa, they won't beat out Big Mouth Rex as being the worst team in the division as the Jets are currently 1-8 with Vick at QB.

The Bills could very well be a paper tiger this year with the leagues worst O line, poor run game. The offense is currently ranked 28th, and without Spiller, and a healthy Fredex-Sammy it could be trouble for Buffalo.

I have to say I would not be surprised if the Bills went 2-6 or 6-2 in the next 8 games (or anywhere in between).

It is very possible for them to win 5 games and get into the playoffs. But 14 years of history has me thinking they will come up short. I'm thinking 3-5 down the stretch and finish 8-8. But we shall see how it plays out. Can't wait.

Fortunately, the vast majority of the guys whose attitudes matter in turning things around (the players and coaches) don't have the same 14 years of crappy memories as we all do.