Breaking down the Bills inside run game

YoloinOhio

Breaking down the Buffalo Bills' inside zone running play

http://www.buffaloru...d-anthony-dixon

Shouldn't the title read 'Breaking down the Buffalo Bills' only running play'?

Edited by stevewin

While this makes me feel a little bit better about that seemingly over-used play, I'd like to give Bryce more opportunities to hit those holes.

This makes me feel worse. To execute a 7-yd run, we need all five linemen and the FB to execute perfectly on their blocks. That probably happens 1 or 2 times a game.

If you note in the article, the author made a good point that a lot of teams run out of the spread because then the whole play doesn't fall apart when one guy screws up. That's what we should do.

Based on the play they used the stills from, Dixon made the wrong cut. Well, made the decision to cut in general. He should have followed Pears and Summers instead of cutting back along the backside of Wood.

I didn't read any of the info on it. But that's the mistake I saw in that run play. I have watched CJ do the very same thing for his entire career.

This makes me feel worse. To execute a 7-yd run, we need all five linemen and the FB to execute perfectly on their blocks. That probably happens 1 or 2 times a game.

If you note in the article, the author made a good point that a lot of teams run out of the spread because then the whole play doesn't fall apart when one guy screws up. That's what we should do.

Yea no kidding. I think I've seen a handful of 4 WR set plays from a spread set over the course of the last year, and a half, and all of them worked for good run yardage. Then I didn't see it again that game.

I think Hackett is determined to try and max protect the QB, and simply fails to see the significance of the finer points of continuously running a 4 WR spread set like Gailey used to do. Now that Spiller is gone for the year, Sammy & Fredex banged up I dunno if anything he does will work.

Yea no kidding. I think I've seen a handful of 4 WR set plays from a spread set over the course of the last year, and a half, and all of them worked for good run yardage. Then I didn't see it again that game.

I think Hackett is determined to try and max protect the QB, and simply fails to see the significance of the finer points of continuously running a 4 WR spread set like Gailey used to do. Now that Spiller is gone for the year, Sammy & Fredex banged up I dunno if anything he does will work.

I know he is the whipping boy at the moment, but I doubt he fails to see anything. He is someone who does this for a living and has been doing so for quite some time. My would think there may be other, unknown, reasons why this is(has not been) not the O-Line formation.

I know he is the whipping boy at the moment, but I doubt he fails to see anything. He is someone who does this for a living and has been doing so for quite some time. My would think there may be other, unknown, reasons why this is(has not been) not the O-Line formation.

He doesn't run out of the spread as much because the RB has to take the handoff and then run from a dead stop, with less room to the OL (~5 yards behind the LOS versus 7 or 8 from a deep back set), as opposed to having momentum.

In my mind I envision the back that could make these running plays work

- Is big enough that he can make contact and not have it force him to try to run away from that contact

- Has the ability to break a tackle

- Has the burst that once he gets past that first tackle.......he is past the second level of the defense and gone without trying to find a way to cut the ball to the outside

- Has someone decent field vision to actually see the hole

Freddie has a few of these attributes

I am hoping Bryce Brown has them all

he doesn't run out of a spread because he thinks there is some benefit to being really "physical" in the run game-- I heard him say this after the jets game. It is hogwash. The only guys getting pushed back are our own linemen; we need a much more finesse run game, since our guys can't power run block.

You would seriously think that its inconceivable that an NFL offensive coordinator could be so limited in his understanding of offensive schemes, considering he is supposed to be a "professional". Yet so many people make an attempt to do that job and fail miserably.

Remember Alex Van Pelt? Ex NFL backup QB for the Buffalo Bills who played 9 years for the Bills before turning to coaching after his playing career ended. In 2008 he became an assistant coach as offensive quality control (2006-2007). Then he became QB's coach for 2008. After Jauron fired Turk Schonert two weeks before the start of the 2009 season AVP took over as OC, and the result of that promotion is that he has been a QB's coach with various teams since his one year as OC, Bucs & Packers. So, even though poor AVP was forced to endure a season with Jauron as HC part of the year, and Perry Fewell along with Trent Edwards & Fitz as starting QB's the team was about last in the NFL in offense that season.

BTW, Nathaniel Hackett was the Bills assistant for offensive quality control (2008-2009), after a two year stint with Tampa Bay in the same capacity. Besides that NFL experience Hackett has 7 years floating around college teams as an assistant. His entire claim to fame came as OC for the Syracuse Orangemen for two seasons under Marrone. Their best season was 8-5, and fourth place in the division.

Turk Schonert was another ex NFL player who was also a backup QB, and played 9 years for different teams Bears, Falcons, and his longest stay was with the Bengals as backup to Boomer Esiason. He was also an OC for the Bills for one year under Dick Jauron, and after that firing has yet to return to coaching in the NFL.

Hackett is no better then either AVP or Schonert, and really isn't all that bright or brilliant when it comes down to ingenuity or innovation in building an offensive game plan to win games. The man is overly simplistic in his running schemes by calling almost the very same plays up the middle over, and over. To the tune of 71% of the time last year, and this year he is on basically the same pace at 68%. The blocking by his offensive line speaks for itself as the teams O line is currently ranked last in the NFL. It was ranked 22nd last year, and 29th in run blocking. Hackett is not really very good at developing a QB's either as his three rookie QB's from last season are, one is riding the bench(EJ), one is on the practice squad(Jeff Tuel), and the last is off the team (Thad Lewis).

I look at Nathaniel Hackett and see a George Edwards - Dave Wannstedt type coach that simply can't get the best out of his schemes. The Bills are currently ranked 28th on offense. Which sucks because the defense is currently ranked #7, and they have a decent experienced QB.

Lastly Gailey was very successful in using the shotgun draw play with Spiller, and Hackett uses it also. Just not in a real spread set like Gailey used to run, and that is the difference.

here is a 5 WR empty backfield shotgun spread set under Gailey, and notice the distance between the O linemen. I don't think I've ever seen Hackett run this set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIZF6uelRU4

Edited by FeartheLosing