OMG! College is so expensive!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A very simple executive order, especially if the debt is owed to evil banks.

it's only a trillion dollars or so. how much were the evil banks bailed out and continue to be? why shouldn't qualified students get gov't loans at the same interest rates banks do?

I don't know how that's even possible.

It's already being done. Sure they'll have to pay taxes on the debt that is left after say 10-20 years but name me a loan where you'll eventually only pay up to 50 cents on every dollar you owe. Damn I wish they'd do that with my mortgage.

it's only a trillion dollars or so. how much were the evil banks bailed out and continue to be? why shouldn't qualified students get gov't loans at the same interest rates banks do?

What's a trillion between friends?

The bank bailout was a temporary loan to restore market liquidity and confidence. Every bank that got a bailout, paid it back and then some. Even AIG paid back.

The student loan forgiveness is a totally different animal.

But why should you bother with distinctions of totally different things, even though they may have similar sounding words?

it's a good thing so many students are graduating with degrees in useful fields of study, like art history or philosophy, or they'd never be able to pay those student loans off.

students mentioned in article:

Ben Kuebrich

https://twitter.com/bkuebrich

Doctoral student in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric

Colton Jones

http://www.thenewsho...ial-food-system

Psychology

students mentioned in article:

Ben Kuebrich

https://twitter.com/bkuebrich

Doctoral student in Composition and Cultural Rhetoric

Except he probably doesn't have much in the way of loans for a PhD program. Probably does for his undergrad work...which is why he's in a PhD program - professional student, deferring the loans.

And his job prospects are bright, since he's all set up to be a "Professional protester/activist." Which is an actual profession.

Except he probably doesn't have much in the way of loans for a PhD program. Probably does for his undergrad work...which is why he's in a PhD program - professional student, deferring the loans.

And his job prospects are bright, since he's all set up to be a "Professional protester/activist." Which is an actual profession.

And not to mention he'll get a gov't job thereby having the loans forgiven in 10 vs 20.

It's already being done. Sure they'll have to pay taxes on the debt that is left after say 10-20 years but name me a loan where you'll eventually only pay up to 50 cents on every dollar you owe. Damn I wish they'd do that with my mortgage.

That program is going to come back to the haunt us all one day.

What's a trillion between friends?

The bank bailout was a temporary loan to restore market liquidity and confidence. Every bank that got a bailout, paid it back and then some. Even AIG paid back.

The student loan forgiveness is a totally different animal.

But why should you bother with distinctions of totally different things, even though they may have similar sounding words?

exactly. the fed bought enough bonds to pay off student loans almost twice over. and these directly benefitted financial institutions and big investors. just like the artificially low interest rates...that student don't have available for their loans.

That program is going to come back to the haunt us all one day.

We're going to have a lot, and I mean a LOT, of people that will not be able to pay their tax bills in their lifetimes. But hey, become a university lifer you may never have to stop deferring your loan.

exactly. the fed bought enough bonds to pay off student loans almost twice over. and these directly benefitted financial institutions and big investors. just like the artificially low interest rates...that student don't have available for their loans.

What in the world are you talking about? How does Fed buying bonds through QE equate to forgiving consumer debt to private institutions?

Why should an individual owing long term unsecured debt pay the same interest rate as an overnight borrowing by a multi-billion dollar company that posts collateral for the debt?

Has anyone ever mentioned that you're a buffoon when it comes to finance?

What in the world are you talking about? How does Fed buying bonds through QE equate to forgiving consumer debt to private institutions?

Why should an individual owing long term unsecured debt pay the same interest rate as an overnight borrowing by a multi-billion dollar company that posts collateral for the debt?

Has anyone ever mentioned that you're a buffoon when it comes to finance?

Fixed.

We're going to have a lot, and I mean a LOT, of people that will not be able to pay their tax bills in their lifetimes. But hey, become a university lifer you may never have to stop deferring your loan.

Or better yet, take a job working for the federal government and PRESTO! No more student debt! It's genius.