Clowney may be who we thought he was

YoloinOhio

Look up the NCAA insurance plans for these guys, then come back here and explain how that money would come remotely close to his guaranteed money in the NFL.

Clowney was guaranteed 14 million. He had an NCAA sponsored policy for 5 mil. He could have gone outside the NCAA insurance plan for over 10 million easily.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce Smith was also accused of malingering during his first and second years....

In his first years in the league, the Bills under Hank Bullocks were terrible. There was a story that Bruce threaten everyone in the defensive huddle to not make a tackle and let the other team score, in a hope that HB would get fired quicker.

Clowney was guaranteed 14 million. He had an NCAA sponsored policy for 5 mil. He could have gone outside the NCAA insurance plan for over 10 million easily.

That policy only covered career ending injuries, not loss of value. Plus he plays a position where a $100 million contract would not be far fetched, no reason to get hurt when you can set you family up for life.

And that non-competitive attitude is why he likely will not live up to his potential.

How fans of sports can applaud this is beyond me. The two people I am really rooting against his him and Byrd for the same crap.

That policy only covered career ending injuries, not loss of value. Plus he plays a position where a $100 million contract would not be far fetched, no reason to get hurt when you can set you family up for life.

Marquis Lee had a policy that payed also if his draft spot dropped significantly...

And that non-competitive attitude is why he likely will not live up to his potential.

How fans of sports can applaud this is beyond me. The two people I am really rooting against his him and Byrd for the same crap.

I'm not applauding it as much as accepting the guys as human beings instead of gladiators. It wouldn't make my day any brighter if they failed.

Even if the Texas are frustrated with him, it's his first year in the league. He is young and has dominated since he first started playing football.

It may take him a few years to learn how to be a professional, but when not IF he does the dude is going to be a monster!!!! And by professional I mean doing all the little things, practicing hard playing hard etc etc...

He has jj watt to help him Learn along the way. There is no way that some of watts work ethic will eventually rub off on clowney.

It may take him a few years to learn how to be a professional, but when not IF he does the dude is going to be a monster!!!! And by professional I mean doing all the little things, practicing hard playing hard etc etc...

He has jj watt to help him Learn along the way.

Yeah, by contract year a lot of these guys grow up (and try). The guy is a freak, but I'll take Sammy a few picks later all day long. Broken ribs make it hard to breath or sleep and God help you if you sneeze! Sammy played NFL football games cautiosly where Clowney would have called in sick for the year.

Edited by Augie

As a fan I don't care for it, but seeing as how he's a real person with a chance of a lifetime I don't blame him. We can all speculate about what we think we should or would do, but if he gets a back injury or something similar he could go from being guaranteed $10+ million to making a small fraction of that.

If I were already a multi-millionaire I might think it was worth the risk to chase college football glory, but if I have one realistic shot of being set up for life, a college football game, even a championship, is nowhere near as important. Not even close. That ring's not going to pay the rent or put the kids through school.

As a fan I don't care for it, but seeing as how he's a real person with a chance of a lifetime I don't blame him. We can all speculate about what we think we should or would do, but if he gets a back injury or something similar he could go from being guaranteed $10+ million to making a small fraction of that.

If I were already a multi-millionaire I might think it was worth the risk to chase college football glory, but if I have one realistic shot of being set up for life, a college football game, even a championship, is nowhere near as important. Not even close. That ring's not going to pay the rent or put the kids through school.

+1

I would have taken him off my board.

Good thing you're not in charge of anything.

When you are expected to do a job, you do it to the best of your ability.

Don't you get paid to do a job?

Nailed it for my own take on the topic

When you are expected to do a job, you do it to the best of your ability.

What about if your participating in an academic extracurricular that might hurt your future employment opportunities?

didnt he play through an injury his entire last year of college?

guy wants to play, just off to a bit of a frustrating start due to injury. it happens a lot in nfl

Yea I don't think he ranked the season near what some say - after some down games it became a talking point but he was a little dinged up and getting damn near triple teamed often. You don't do that to a guy that's asleep at the wheel.... But I don't doubt there were times he passed on sticking his nose in on a risky play or games he took a bit easier

Yea I don't think he ranked the season near what some say - after some down games it became a talking point but he was a little dinged up and getting damn near triple teamed often. You don't do that to a guy that's asleep at the wheel.... But I don't doubt there were times he passed on sticking his nose in on a risky play or games he took a bit easier

I guess the Texans can depend on him now though ? He wont be assessing the "situation " once he is actually on the field . and is getting paid to be on the field.

devils advocate , but he should have something to prove if he gets healthy enough i might think.

I guess the Texans can depend on him now though ? He wont be assessing the "situation " once he is actually on the field . and is getting paid to be on the field.

devils advocate , but he should have something to prove if he gets healthy enough i might think.

He might. And players wanting to be able to actually walk when they walk away from the game vs being gladiators that are without care for their well being is something I think most reasonable fans struggle with balancing in their takes.

The teams best interest and the players are not always the same

Anyone who puts the W/L record of a college football team above the financial security of his family is an idiot and a fool.

Sure. But it certainly gives you a glimpse into their priorities and motivations, which I doubt would change in the NFL.

didnt he play through an injury his entire last year of college?

guy wants to play, just off to a bit of a frustrating start due to injury. it happens a lot in nfl

Injury prone. Bust.