We have to blitz more!!

This is a really tough topic to discuss. But today, for sure, Schwartz's philosophy of rushing four worked as perfectly as it could possibly have worked. We rarely blitzed and the pass defense was fabulous. We got good pressure consistently.

Like all fans, myself included, we always want our DC to blitz more, especially when we give up yards, or the QB has all day, or whatever. But several times this year Schwartz has basically not blitzed at all, and we have had great defensive games.

Sure, the Jets QBs sucked. But at least this week, anyone has to admit that not blitzing at all was a tremendous decision.

I have been critical of this in recent weeks, mostly on 3rd and long situations, but I agree. This defense will devour you unless you are one of the fee elite passers. I am curious to see how Manning and Rodgers will handle us. Hopefully by then we will be a well-oiled machine coming off a six-game win streak, haha.

My only complaint with Schwartz was against Brady. The only way to beat him is pressure. They should have unleashed hell on him. Same thing with Peyton. I am not sure what the hell to do to stop Rodgers. Almost everyone else it is ok to drop 7 or 8 and wait for the mistake.

Agree. I think over his career, it has been almost inarguable that if you want to stop him he needs to be pressured. But when the Patriots were playing some backups on the line, and had recently had trouble protecting Brady with their line, it wasn't wholly stupid that Schwartz thought his front four would get the necessary pressure. They did it today. They did it more times than not this year.

We did blitz more than just the front four in this game. Not sure how many times, but they were dialing up blitz a lot.

I will watch it later but I don't remember very many at all. I would bet far less than 20%.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Against the Pats, yes we should have.

Today, no. With scrambling Qb's, you need to contain and even still it's tough. I thought we played them pretty beautifully for the most part. They pulled a lot of plays our of their butts

Against the Pats, yes we should have.

Today, no. With scrambling Qb's, you need to contain and even still it's tough. I thought we played them pretty beautifully for the most part. They pulled a lot of plays our of their butts

Agree. I felt the D Ends were getting suckered in and then Vick would run past them. The D Ends and Linebackers needed to avoid the temptation and hold the edge. They got burned a few times when they let Vick (and Harvin) get around the corner.

This is a really tough topic to discuss. But today, for sure, Schwartz's philosophy of rushing four worked as perfectly as it could possibly have worked. We rarely blitzed and the pass defense was fabulous. We got good pressure consistently.

Like all fans, myself included, we always want our DC to blitz more, especially when we give up yards, or the QB has all day, or whatever. But several times this year Schwartz has basically not blitzed at all, and we have had great defensive games.

Sure, the Jets QBs sucked. But at least this week, anyone has to admit that not blitzing at all was a tremendous decision.

When you play against quarterbacks that bad, you tend to win whether your blitz or not. And yes, both Geno and Vick are that bad.

Fans always want the DC to blitz and the OC to call deep pass attempts. Such is life.

DC blitz in obvious passing situations...YES OC call deep pass plays..most definitely YES... Those are two things you should do if you want to win football games. It is football 101 buddy.

Yeah the front 4 alone just isn't getting enough pressure on a constant basis.

My only complaint with Schwartz was against Brady. The only way to beat him is pressure. They should have unleashed hell on him. Same thing with Peyton. I am not sure what the hell to do to stop Rodgers. Almost everyone else it is ok to drop 7 or 8 and wait for the mistake.

Brady will kill you if you blitz. The way you beat him is to pressure him with your front 4.

Brady will kill you if you blitz. The way you beat him is to pressure him with your front 4.

I say you beat Brady by bringing pressure up the middle. He is not a mobile QB at all. If you can get pressure up the middle with your front four then fine. If you can't then you must blitz.

I have been saying this for weeks especially on third and long. Why give the QB the opportunity to sit back there and find an open player downfield instead of blitzing and pressuring the QB into a quicker decision and usually a pass short of the mark to gain.

I have been saying this for weeks especially on third and long. Why give the QB the opportunity to sit back there and find an open player downfield instead of blitzing and pressuring the QB into a quicker decision and usually a pass short of the mark to gain.

Ummm... Because that means you have one or two guys less in coverage. You're a pretty smart football guy. You don't think if that was the solution everyone would blitz 80% of the time? The Bills were brilliant today only rushing four. And we constantly had guys in position to pick off errant passes that weren't even guarding the guy it was thrown to.

My only complain is that "at times" Schwartz tends to not blitz on 3rd down and long. He prefers to drop more into coverage, and it has burned him at times. It was particularly frustrating at times watching Fitz, Rivers complete pass after pass, and eventually score.

Regardless, the Bills need an answer against the Patriots, and Tom Brady. If this team can't find a way to beat their biggest nemesis in New England, it will be difficult to ever win the division. Home field in the playoffs is the best way to help win in the playoffs.

EDIT: the Bills looked great against a very bad 1-6 team. its how they look against the good teams that really matter

Edited by FeartheLosing

DC blitz in obvious passing situations...YES OC call deep pass plays..most definitely YES... Those are two things you should do if you want to win football games. It is football 101 buddy.

You have to do both - fans always want to do both more. It's Madden football rather than good NFL football. Don't believe me? Go check the stats of teams that win the Superbowl and see how much they do those 2 things.... I bet it is less than you think.

This. This is how the Giants beat him in the Super Bowl. They got a ton of pressure with only their front 4.

Once you start blitzing Brady, you're as good as dead. Pressure is key, but it has to come from the line.

There's a time and place for everything, and never blitzing also removes the element of surprise from the defensive game plan. Fortunately Bills are blessed with solid talent on the DL, but when facing superior teams, they usually tend to exploit opponents' every weakness, and you can argue that mixing up the rush a bit against Brady would have helped.