bankrupt city shuts off water to non-payers

Azalin

The city of Detroit is shutting off water to people & businesses not paying their water bill, and the UN is crying racial discrimination. two differing reports linked below:

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/true-north/2014/jun/25/detroits-water-war-a-tap-shut-off-that-could-impact-300000-people

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/21/detroit-disappointed-in-uns-non-fact-finding-visits-about-water-shut-offs/

WTF! Isn't that what they do for non-payment? I forgot to pay my water bill one time(quarterly) and my village sent out a notice: "Pay by certain date or it gets shut off." And if you pay on the day of scheduled shut-off, has to be in cash. Needless to say, I paid immediately when I saw the notice. I had a couple weeks to spare so just gave them a check like normal. I talked to the lady @ Village Hall and asked if they shut water off to people in town. She said: "Sure, all the time." She was going through the list... And it looked like a pretty big list! We have about 9,600 people in our village. I guess somebody is always getting their water shut off.

I made it as far as the 'widely respected community leader' who apparently can't be bothered to pay her water bill.

In this case, 'widely respected' means her water bill was only 60 days in arrears.

I love how they report that the water guy could only "drive away, knocking Charity over and injuring her leg."

Did he drive away, come back, knock her over, injure her leg, and then drive away again? Makes you wonder what they do to someone who is 120 days out on water payments.

So free water is now a right?

Sure is. It's called rain. Catch all you want!

I have a solution: add a clause to the Detroit Public Employee Union Pension that ensures free water for life for all city employees and their friends. Problem solved!

of campaigns to ensure Detroiters' right to public, accessible water.

So free water is now a right?

Yes, according to the UN, it is (water and sanitation). And while I'm open to argument as to whether it should or should not be a "right", it arguably should be, as the provision of clean potable water is one of the most important public health practices available (google "Broad Street Pump.")

Having clean, potable water pumped directly to your house, though...that's stretching the point a bit. You don't pay for the water as much as you do the infrastructure use.

....and they can BBQ year round.

:thumbsup:

In all fairness, they aren't all hippie freaks. About half are hipster douches.

I was expecting hippie freaks when I lived in the city when I first moved here but it was mostly hipster douches. Then I moved across the bay next to Berkeley and found where all the hippie freaks were. I'll still take them over the hipster douches any day.

we can do that in Texas, and it's better barbecue. :nana:

Not better than at my house.

Not all Californians are bad. I've got two aunts in SF who are pretty cool. Still hippie-dippy freaks, though.

And then there's David Lee Roth. At least he's not a hippie.

That's all I've got.

What am I? Chopped liva?

Stipulated. Though I still maintain I do a better lasagna.

Of course not. Foie gras is illegal in California.

Not really. I can still get it and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to make it at home.

And I highly doubt your lasagna is better than mine. I make a kick ass bolognese sauce and my noodles from scratch.

And boy has this thread gone off the rails.

Edited by Chef Jim

Not really. I can still get it and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to make it at home.

And I highly doubt your lasagna is better than mine. I make a kick ass bolognese sauce and my noodles from scratch.

So you make ALL your ingredients at home, from scratch?

Hippie-dippy freak. Probably put twigs and berries in your bolognese sauce.

And boy has this thread gone off the rails.

Most do, without gatorman, birddog, or lybob to abuse. Threads like this go off the rails much sooner, since our right-wing retards, when they're demonstrably wrong and stupid, are smart enough to shut the !@#$ up.

So you make ALL your ingredients at home, from scratch?

Hippie-dippy freak. Probably put twigs and berries in your bolognese sauce.

Well I was going to say I make my own ricotta but I didn't want to brag. Well that and it comes out like ****

California, specifically San Franciso, remains the only place in the world I've seen 3 different individuals urinating/defacating on the street at 10 am on a Saturday, and that was only over a 2 block walk. I had to roll dodge away from one of the pissers, or he would have got me. And, walking with what was at the time a $4k laptop that had to be delivered to a client, on a street populated by 60% junkies, is on my top 5 unsettling experience list. My fear wasn't that I couldn't take any of them, it's that if I had to, they might bleed on me/infect me with something.

I understand not judging an entire state on 1, 2-block walk. However, I also understand only ever seeing one set of ridiculously awful behavior/set of people, in one town, no others, and my sample size is more cities than I care to remember, 30 states, and 5 foreign countries.

As far as Detroit goes: there's a lot of good people there actually. But, what's going on there is literally the same story in every Democratically controlled city.

What's interesting is: Bankruptcy seems to be forcing....competence, and responsibility, and accountability...on Detroit. Detroit may end up being the Gettysburg of this entire mess, where, after accountability has lost battle after battle to corruption predicated on nonsense ideology, accountability finally holds the left flank, then the center, and wins.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Then it can't be the best, because you're not making it right.

Yes, I believe good rettatta takes 45 minutes.

I bet California Chef doesn't even use pickle juice. Too much sodium. So he replaces it with organically raised, gluten free, fat free, free range, fair trade, pressed whogivesaF?-bean oil from a 3rd world country....because...fair trade.

Yes, I believe good rettatta takes 45 minutes.

I bet California Chef doesn't even use pickle juice. Too much sodium. So he replaces it with organically raised, gluten free, fat free, free range, fair trade, pressed whogivesaF?-bean oil from a 3rd world country....because...fair trade.

But on the bright side, not only can his bean oil vote, but he can marry it too.

Then it can't be the best, because you're not making it right.

Good point. I'll work on slowing it down a bit. I will remove the water from each piece of pasta individually with a q-tip. That should get me closer to the hour preparations time. And pickle juice optional? Bah! That's the magic ingredient.

Good point. I'll work on slowing it down a bit. I will remove the water from each piece of pasta individually with a q-tip. That should get me closer to the hour preparations time. And pickle juice optional? Bah! That's the magic ingredient.

Yes, but is it made with organic, free range pickles? Are the pickles treated humanely? Are they produced by the local food collective, but also produced in a way that does not create an "unfair" advantage over competing pickle producers in the 3rd world? I have it! Are they produced locally, by people from the 3rd world?

That is the ONLY way you can be fair Chef. Any deviation, and you are oppressing a person, place, or thing.

Edited by OCinBuffalo