4 of 12 from over 40 yards

Rubes

That's the highest-paid kicker in Bills history, friends.

And that's just the ones we actually tried to kick. How many did we not even try because of that percentage?

For having the best special teams unit in the league, we sure have a major handicap with this guy.

That's the highest-paid kicker in Bills history, friends.

And that's just the ones we actually tried to kick. How many did we not even try because of that percentage?

For having the best special teams unit in the league, we sure have a major handicap with this guy.

223812[/snapback]

HAD a major handicap

Stop hating on Lindell, it's not all his fault!...can this be said about kickers or just QB's???! :lol:

223845[/snapback]

What the heck are you talking about. If we had ANY OTHER KICKER in football, we would be in the playoffs. Lindell lost us the Pittsburgh game, how many more must he lose for us to kick Cryin Lindell out of Buffalo!

HAD a major handicap

223852[/snapback]

Funny...I originally wrote "had" but changed it since I'm still not sure if he'll be around next year (after training camp, that is). You never know with TD...

A good kicker can easily change the game for better or worse. It's hard to believe a weeny little kicker has so much influence but they do. If you have a reliable kicker the Bills may have actually attempted half a dozen FGs more than they did. We seemed to have punted multiple times from the 33-36 yd line this season. Hey if your kicker makes 50% of those that changes the complexion of the game and how you approach things. Having a great FG%-age overall is not that impressive. Lindell was great from under 40, but NFL kickers should be. Where they make their money is from over-40, and he hasn't yet. He has a lot to prove.

Interestingly enough, before Lindell started kicking in an open-ended stadium on the shores of Lake Erie, he was 24 of 37 outside of 40yrds. That's about 70% and I'd imagine a fairly respectable number for an NFL kicker.

Can we do better? Of course we can.

But taking into account whre teh Bills play their home games, it's always going to be more important to have a guy who is rock steady from inside 40 where the VAST majority of your FG attempts are going to come from, than it is to have a guy who can bomb teh occasional 50yrdr in Rich stadium but may not be as consistent overall.

Over his career Lindell is 71 of 78 from inside 40 which comes out to a over 91%. I'd also like to have a Top5 NFL kicker, but the one we have now isn't all that bad.

Cya

Interestingly enough, before Lindell started kicking in an open-ended stadium on the shores of Lake Erie, he was 24 of 37 outside of 40yrds. That's about 70% and I'd imagine a fairly respectable number for an NFL kicker.

But taking into account whre teh Bills play their home games, it's always going to be more important to have a guy who is rock steady from inside 40 where the VAST majority of your FG attempts are going to come from, than it is to have a guy who can bomb teh occasional 50yrdr in Rich stadium but may not be as consistent overall.

Over his career Lindell is 71 of 78 from inside 40 which comes out to a over 91%. I'd also like to have a Top5 NFL kicker, but the one we have now isn't all that bad.

Cya

224035[/snapback]

Perhaps, but the problem is that Lindell is being paid to be more than just a guy who's steady from inside 40. He may be that, but as the highest paid kicker in team history I would expect he would at least be better than Christie. In his 9 seasons with the team, Christie had only 1 season when he hit less than 50% from 40-49 yards. In his career with the Bills, Christie was hitting over 70% from 40-49 yards. That's a very respectable number in any setting.

If Lindell could do it before coming to Buffalo, then that's fine. But if he can't do it after coming to Buffalo, then how is he that much of a benefit to us? I just can't see shelling out a ton of money (kicker-wise) for the guy.

Yes, it's good to have a steady guy from inside 40, but you need more than that in this league.

Cya

224035[/snapback]

Except that we have had kickers here in the past who can hit the kicks outside of 40 yards in the same element. We shouldn't accept mediocrity because things could conceivably be worse. Nevertheless, I am glad that even Lindell has his defenders on this board. The universe is now in balance.

Replacing Lindell is a huge priority this offseason. The guy just cant make these kicks in The Ralph, and for a team that plays in crappy weather we need a clutch kicker who can perform. Reed is a possibility because he knows how to kick in really bad weather, but I'm guessing the Steelers will be doing all in their power to re-sign him. If we had even an average kicker this year we would have made it to the playoffs I think, but because Mularkey & Company were forced to gameplan around his crappy leg instead of gameplanning an offense that utilizes the kicker as a weapon, we were held out of the dance. If the Bills really want to move forward, they cant allow Lindell to keep crapping it up out there.

Cya

224035[/snapback]

Good points. I am wondering if the Bills coaching staff take that into account

while asking Lindell to kick or have the punt team out while playing outside

RWS. For example, may be what RL cannot make from 45 yards at RWS ,

he might be able to make it comfortable while playing in the warmer Oakland

stadium. May be that was a weakness in the coaching staff to not judge

him correctly.

Good points. I am wondering if the Bills coaching staff take that into account

while asking Lindell to kick or have the punt team out while playing outside

RWS.  For example, may be what RL cannot make from 45 yards at RWS ,

he might be able to make it comfortable while playing in the warmer Oakland

stadium.    May be that was a weakness in the coaching staff to not judge

him correctly.

224282[/snapback]

I hope you're not implying that our previous coaching regime made a mistake. I think it must have been Bledsoe's fault that we picked up Lindell. Damn that Bledsoe.

What the heck are you talking about.  If we had ANY OTHER KICKER in football, we would be in the playoffs.  Lindell lost us the Pittsburgh game, how many more must he lose for us to kick Cryin Lindell out of Buffalo!

223918[/snapback]

Did you see the sarcastic smiley at the end of my post. :rolleyes: