Donnie Henderson - Heat On Gilmore Well Deserved

From the horses mouth.

Stephon Gilmore has come under fire by some fans frustrated with his play.

The expectations of the former first-round selection of the Buffalo Bills are high… and for good reason. Not only is it the fans that feel they should be getting something closer to a true ‘shutdown cornerback,’ but so does the man that has coached him for the past 21 months.

Defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson said until Gilmore plays with the type of consistency they’re expecting of him, the fans aren’t totally off base.

“Absolutely. Well-deserved,” Henderson said.

Well-deserved?

“Absolutely. And we talk about that, too,” he continued. “If you want to be a shutdown corner in this league, you've got to play technique and you gotta play your guy. That's how we talk about it in my room. I don't beat around the bush. I tell them straight that if you want to be a shutdown corner, you take your man out of it by working technique and making sure you get yours covered.”

To this point in the season Gilmore has been above average, but he hasn’t been as sterling as one would expect out of a first round pick. He has even been the man responsible for a few big plays in the first six games.

One of those occurred last weekend, when New England wide receiver Brian Tyms caught a long pass in the back of the end zone for a touchdown. Gilmore was draped all over him but couldn’t get his hand on the ball, and even though Corey Graham was there to help him, the big play ultimately fell on him.

“That's Stephon all the way,” Henderson said. “He just, s***, you gotta make the play. He's on top, that's just him by himself.”

The big question is, what does Gilmore have to do to get to the level that many are hoping he can achieve? To his positional coach, it’s all about understanding who he is as a player and then never resting on his laurels.

And to Henderson, Gilmore is a press-man corner that should be jamming his assignment at the line of scrimmage more often than not.

“That's his skill level. That's where he needs to be at. When he's on the line of scrimmage, and like I tell him, he's got to know his game. His game is a press corner on the line of scrimmage where he can be physical with the receiver and run with him,” he said.

“That's all technique. You've got to feel comfortable enough to do it every time. And that's what's so hard about this game. You've got to do and work your technique every snap, because the minute you take a snap off... touchdown.”

Gilmore and the entire Bills secondary will attempt to bounce back from a performance that allowed 361 yards through the air to New England.

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=433995

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Gilmore is fine. Every DB gets beat in this league. The long pass was Graham's fault not Gilmore's. Graham got sucked up and Brady beat him over the top on a post.

Not sure why this board has been crazy about the DB play. It has not been outstanding but it has been fine. The D-line and lack of blitzing cost them the Pats game.

The QB, guard, RB, and TE play is far worse.

Donnie Henderson is easily the best position coach we have. He's right. Gilmore is very good but could be better. I'm sure Gilmore said to himself on the TD pass "I have to make that play" and not what some fans think, which is he had good coverage but the guy made a great catch, which is true. Gilmore is beyond his injuries. He's not a young guy anymore. He's hugely talented. He needs to be better.

That said, today I read a couple articles about Patrick Peterson, who signed a $70m deal, saying he hasn't played well and he is saying I have to be better. Richard Sherman has been beat quite a few times this year. Revis was beat a couple times last night.

Donnie Henderson is easily the best position coach we have. He's right. Gilmore is very good but could be better. I'm sure Gilmore said to himself on the TD pass "I have to make that play" and not what some fans think, which is he had good coverage but the guy made a great catch, which is true. Gilmore is beyond his injuries. He's not a young guy anymore. He's hugely talented. He needs to be better.

That said, today I read a couple articles about Patrick Peterson, who signed a $70m deal, saying he hasn't played well and he is saying I have to be better. Richard Sherman has been beat quite a few times this year. Revis was beat a couple times last night.

The worst part about that play is that Gilmore was in a position to make a play. I found it very similar to the Grimes breakup on Watkins against the Dolphins. Gilmore had a arm inside the recievers arms, but was unable to nudge the arms/ball out of position to break it up. I'm not saying it was easy, but when a "good" CB is in that position, they need to make a play. It's not as though Gilmore got shook, or was a step late.

But you're right. Between Peterson, Sherman, and Gilmore they've all gotten burned by great QB's, Peyton, TB, and Rivers. That's gonna happen.

Edited by FireChan

Gilmore is fine. Every DB gets beat in this league. The long pass was Graham's fault not Gilmore's. Graham got sucked up and Brady beat him over the top on a post.

Not sure why this board has been crazy about the DB play. It has not been outstanding but it has been fine. The D-line and lack of blitzing cost them the Pats game.

The QB, guard, RB, and TE play is far worse.

You are right. These corners and safeties are part of the reason our pass rush works with only four. I see opposing qbs not finding guys open for most possessions of the games this year. Ask Stafford. Cutler. And Tannehill. When it really counted, they couldn't find anyone to throw to. Our DBs aren't exceptional, but they have been pretty solid. Btw, I hate this "shut-down corner" crap. Is there one cb in the league who hasn't had a big play or a first down happen on their watch? No. I've seen our DB's play far worse than they are this year. This year I see our offense getting the ball more due to a number of 3&outs....something we haven't had in quite some time. And yes Leodis can be better too, but last year, I think he played stellar football for a good portion of the season. Yet I still read a lot of critisim on this board.

Preaching consistency, Bills DB coach says heat on Gilmore "well-deserved"

By Joe Buscaglia

2975648.jpg?1413596668

The expectations of the former first-round selection of the Buffalo Bills are high… and for good reason. Not only is it the fans that feel they should be getting something closer to a true ‘shutdown cornerback,’ but so does the man that has coached him for the past 21 months.

Defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson said until Gilmore plays with the type of consistency they’re expecting of him, the fans aren’t totally off base.

The part about jamming the receiver at the LOS is spot on....Gilmore loves the 10 yard cushion approach which bugs the **** out of me.

Sorry, but I think that this is BS. (hear me out)

What other position on the field lets a player decide where he wants to be within a 10 yard line? None, zero, zip, zilch. If Henderson thinks that Gilmore is at his best in press then he should be in press on all but a select few snaps where a more "specialized" defense is called. If he's given leeway then my question is WTF?

From the horses mouth.

Well-deserved?

“Absolutely. And we talk about that, too,” he continued. “If you want to be a shutdown corner in this league, you've got to play technique and you gotta play your guy. That's how we talk about it in my room. I don't beat around the bush. I tell them straight that if you want to be a shutdown corner, you take your man out of it by working technique and making sure you get yours covered.”

To this point in the season Gilmore has been above average, but he hasn’t been as sterling as one would expect out of a first round pick. He has even been the man responsible for a few big plays in the first six games.

One of those occurred last weekend, when New England wide receiver Brian Tyms caught a long pass in the back of the end zone for a touchdown. Gilmore was draped all over him but couldn’t get his hand on the ball, and even though Corey Graham was there to help him, the big play ultimately fell on him.

“That's Stephon all the way,” Henderson said. “He just, s***, you gotta make the play. He's on top, that's just him by himself.”

The big question is, what does Gilmore have to do to get to the level that many are hoping he can achieve? To his positional coach, it’s all about understanding who he is as a player and then never resting on his laurels.

And to Henderson, Gilmore is a press-man corner that should be jamming his assignment at the line of scrimmage more often than not.

“That's his skill level. That's where he needs to be at. When he's on the line of scrimmage, and like I tell him, he's got to know his game. His game is a press corner on the line of scrimmage where he can be physical with the receiver and run with him,” he said.

“That's all technique. You've got to feel comfortable enough to do it every time. And that's what's so hard about this game. You've got to do and work your technique every snap, because the minute you take a snap off... touchdown.”

Gilmore and the entire Bills secondary will attempt to bounce back from a performance that allowed 361 yards through the air to New England.

http://www.wgr550.co....php?pid=433995

I've been saying the same things about Gilmore since preseason, glad to see the coaches and those at WGR feel the same way, but there are those like "Why So Serious" that didn't think so.