Classic Mike Schopp... cuts off Terry Peugla...

Buftex

Forgive me if this has been posted...I searched and didn't find this anywhere...

Apparently, on the last call of his sports collectible show on Saturday (which incidentally is the last installment of the show) Mike Schopp took a call from "Terry". It was Terry Pegula...Schopp didn't know it, and as his style, cut him off, because he wanted to do get his final words in, to people who have been listening to his show for years...pretty funny, I think.

The call:

http://media.wgr550....s-the-hobby.htm

I don't hate Schopp as much as some here do, though I completely understand why some would...I have listened to his sports collectables show, The Hobby, for years (on audio vault), and the one thing that was always apparent, Schopp had a hard time getting callers...so he finally gets someone, and it is Terry "frigging" Pegula, and he cuts him off! Hilarious! In his defense, he didn't realize it was Pegula....

Edited by Buftex

I am not a fan of Schoop's, but no reasonable producer or station owner would see this as a reason for discipline. Not unless he was suppose to know and forgot or otherwise was negligible for not knowing.

he handled it fine, wasn't rude like I was expecting based on the thread title. Schopp has been on WGR too long and is now bitter and pessimistic. i can't say that i blame him, he has been talking Bills football during our worst years. but i think it's time we get rid of him and get someone in there with a fresh perspective. Sal has been good I suppose

I am not a fan of Schoop's, but no reasonable producer or station owner would see this as a reason for discipline. Not unless he was suppose to know and forgot or otherwise was negligible for not knowing.

Agreed. I just thoght it was funny...especially knowing how much Schopp is reviled here, in part for his abrupt style. It was very clear that he didn't realize it. He was pretty embarassed later to find out it was TPegs...and he asks Schopp "how you doing Mike?" Perhaps the "pettest" of Schopps' peaves! :lol:

Schopp used to really annoy me in multiple ways. Now I have come to expect his schtik but what really still gets me is his puritan-like faith in his analytics and the idea that it's a bad decision to punt in the game of tackle football. As if the defense on a team means nothing, nor the fact that the odds go down for a team having to drive the length of the field.

he handled it fine, wasn't rude like I was expecting based on the thread title. Schopp has been on WGR too long and is now bitter and pessimistic. i can't say that i blame him, he has been talking Bills football during our worst years. but i think it's time we get rid of him and get someone in there with a fresh perspective. Sal has been good I suppose

Hey man...just trying to get eyeballs! I agree though, Schopp is always a lot more patient with callers on his Hobby show than he is during the afternoon show.

I think people mistake Schopps' style for "supriority", but I don't think it is that at all. I think he just trys to take a unique outlook on things (cuz lets' face it, talking Bills and Sabres 5 or 6 days a week has to get pretty stale), and digs into that position, even when it doesn't really make a lot of sense. I loved his Hobby show, and I think, honestly, he is somebody I would get along with as a friend...but I also aware that he rubs people the wrong way.

If you listened yesterday he explain himself. No big deal here only to the OP

Well, in the OP's defense (me!), GR thought it was a big enough deal to put it in their audio vault, as its' own entry.

Schopp used to really annoy me in multiple ways. Now I have come to expect his schtik but what really still gets me is his puritan-like faith in his analytics and the idea that it's a bad decision to punt in the game of tackle football. As if the defense on a team means nothing, nor the fact that the odds go down for a team having to drive the length of the field.

And because analytics is so simple and one-dimensional, it doesn't factor in lost field position on failed 4th downs. :doh:

I gotta ask; WHY aren't WNY Spprts fans SCREAMING for GR to dump these witless goobers?? Really. WHY? No other decent sized city would tolerate it. Granted, competition helps listeners sway preference in other cities -and y'all don't have any.. I THIRST for Buf-Sports, but I killed my WGR AP because I simply won't tolerate it. I prefer listening to Sirius radio and ' tolerate' news about the other teams in the NFL & NHL -just to catch up infrequently on our teams.

THEY got you by the nuts and are laughing at you all -while keeping these goobers low paid and filling their airwaves.

More power to you, Buftex. I choose NOT to succumb..